Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So it begins.....Teen shoots parents with pistol, blames violent games.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 7:32:10 AM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Sterling's take on a teen who shot his parents and is blaming violent video games.

http://www.destructoid.com/teen-shoots-parents-with-pistol-blames-violent-games-248661.phtml

"This is what killers have learned to do now.

A Washington state teen has been charged with murder, the 14-year-old having shot his mother and father in the head after he was grounded from electronic devices. Nathon Brooks may be tried as an adult for the crime, though reports suggest he might be suffering from mental illness of some kind.

Brooks, for his part, has decided to shift the blame to violent videogames, in what looks like a cynical exploitation of ludicrous stereotypes to avoid accountability.

"He said he quit playing violent videogames because he thought they were making him more violent," said Moses Lake police Sgt. Mike Williamst. "I asked him how much he played video games, and he told me '24/7,' up until he got his electronics taken away."

Brooks added a voice in his head was telling him to murder his parents, Jonathan and Elizabeth, and he had in fact considered murdering them since the age of eight. You can expect news sources to not focus so much on the "murderous head voice" thing and find the "GTA definitely did it" part far more salacious.

As we saw with Norway shooter Anders Brevik, it's looking like killers have taken note of the fact they can shift accusing eyes away from themselves by pointing at violent videogames -- a tactic eagerly swallowed up by news sources, parents, and politicians.

Thanks entirely to the efforts of FOX News, CNN, Leland Yee, and a host of other reckless disseminators of assumption-posing-as-fact, videogames are an easy way for a criminal to pass the buck and take some of the heat off themselves. It might not be a "get out of jail free" card -- yet -- but it's demonstrably effective in allowing murderers respite from their own responsibility.

That someone can kill people in cold blood, blame videogames ... and actually have that blame accepted by influential people, is beyond atrocious. Nathan Brooks won't be the last one to try it, either, and he won't be the last to find a society more than willing to hear him out. Utterly disgusting."

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:33:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 9, 2013 12:30:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:33:53 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Do you think that in the Renaissance murderers blamed violent paintings?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:34:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:35:56 AM PDT
Beau H. says:
There's absolutely no one to blame except the person who pulled the trigger. Although, I will concede that overtly-violent video games can and do have an effect on younger kids. Still, it's up to parents to police what their kids are playing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:34:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 9, 2013 12:30:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:36:36 AM PDT
Emily Sedai says:
Annndddd, Socrates goes on trial yet again...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:37:10 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
But, the question remains...

Did the voices in his head play violent video games?

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:39:54 AM PDT
I think the very fact that HE said violent games were to blame, means they weren't.

Case closed.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:39:55 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
"Brooks, for his part, has decided to shift the blame to violent videogames, in what looks like a cynical exploitation of ludicrous stereotypes to avoid accountability."

No question.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:44:26 AM PDT
Ice King says:
No, I think they blamed violent video games too. That's how dangerous they are, their impact violates the laws of time.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:44:49 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I play violent games all the time. It's just a matter of time before I snap. I should isolate myself so I don't injure anyone when I do eventually snap from exposure to violent video games.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:46:39 AM PDT
I guess the big RATED M on the box wasn't enough for his parents to realise that hw shouldn't have been playing that game. It says 17+ for a reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:46:47 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
As a general rule, it's a bad idea to expose yourself.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:48:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:49:01 AM PDT
JJ4prez says:
14-years old, parents chose to give him a game or not to worry about it when it says M for mature on the front cover. Plus, if this kid was playing 24/7 while 14 - he is missing school and sleep - so most likely this kid had some kind of psychological problem being social or emotional - and the parents did what about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:49:13 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Well he didn't say what videogame he was playing, he could have been murdering goombas all day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:49:21 AM PDT
Ice King says:
I think it's safe to say they won't be making that mistake again.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:50:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:50:47 AM PDT
I've been playing violent video games since i was 10... i have 0 urge to kill, or even harm.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:52:52 AM PDT
This too shall pass... Movies had their turn, then music, now it is video games... People lack accountability...

When I go on my murderous rampage, I intend to take full credit...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:54:06 AM PDT
Well at least your honest about it!

My rampage will be blamed on The Twilight movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:56:24 AM PDT
Beau H. says:
...and no one will condemn you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:56:45 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Defense Attorney: "Ok, you play games, we'll just blame games, that good with you?"

You: "No, I just hated those mother ****ers."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:57:12 AM PDT
I'm gonna blame twitter for mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:57:12 AM PDT
pokritz says:
zing!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:57:43 AM PDT
Maybe I'll get a medal for service to the movie industry for murdering all involved with those films!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:58:13 AM PDT
oooo That's a good one. But I would blame Facebook instead of the Twits on Twitter.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions