Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

HarmoKnight demo impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 10:31:54 AM PDT
3DS eShop

454 blocks (or thereabouts; I don't quite remember) 10 uses.

Use the d-pad to move about the overworld which I found odd. When you are in a level the character runs automatically leaving you to jump and use your weapon. Use the music to time your attacks. The first couple of levels are easy but the game gets really challenging. I had to do one level three times. There is a boss fight that plays a lot like Space Channel 5. It uses cut scenes to show an aerial battle between a mutant bee and your character riding a flying creature and maneuvering through a canyon. Despite the cut scenes it really is a quick time event battle but timing is crucial as you just don't have enough life to get through the whole thing without a few perfect moves.

In the levels you collect notes which are like coins but these appear to unlock royal notes. In the demo you use a royal note to clear an obstruction in the overworld but I don't know if there are any other uses for them. While playing you use B to jump and A to use your weapon. I'd prefer to attack with Y but I don't know if there will be a way to remap the controls.

All in all- While I don't know how much content is in the entire game, I enjoyed the demo a lot. I plan to get this game even with the $14.99 price and my gut instinct is there is enough here to warrant the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:34:28 AM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
Didn't know this had a demo out - will have to check it out this evening.

Did you ever give Bit.Trip Runner a try? I'm curious to see how these compare.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:37:40 AM PDT
I've been meaning to but no, I haven't. The XBLA game sale from a couple of weeks ago really added to my backlog and I only have three death levels to go on Sound Shapes and I'm clearing up the challenges in Gravity Rush before the onslaught of 3DS titles hits. Bit.Trip.Runner ended way on the back burner.

:(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:47:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:47:46 AM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
Ha, I know how that goes. Well, seeing that you enjoyed the HarmoKnight demo, I think you'll probably get a kick out of it whenever you do get to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:49:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:50:09 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
I liked Runner up until I got to the last level in the first world that's super long and the timing to get the gold is ridiculously tight. I'm not a completionist, but it's a serious mental challenge to focus just on avoiding the obstacles and not the gold in order to see the next level. I mean... I still like it, I just haven't played it in months because of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:56:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:59:31 AM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
I never finished the game. I made it through the first couple worlds, and quit before I finished the final one. I didn't even quit out of frustration - I watched a run of the final level and said, "Eff that." Heh, it gets insane, but it's a fun ride for a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:12:15 PM PDT
It's a little similar to Runner, but from the demo, HarmoKnight is closer to Rhythm Thief, which I also loved. The art style is completely different from either of them, but it seems as though there's at least a light over-arching narrative that strings the levels together, and it seems as though they're going to be mixing up the gameplay from level to level as well. Given the amount of content that is apparently included (the file size is as large as retail titles like Mario 3D Land), I think $15 is a fine price point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:22:47 PM PDT
Since you mentioned art style, did you notice how much detail went into the graphics. The world is based on music and there are all kinds of little touches like the overworld trees having holes similar to woodwind instruments. Even saw the Pokedex in one level.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 9:49:25 PM PDT
By the way, I understand there are 55 levels in the game. Each level also has an increased tempo mode that goes twice as fast. There is also an endless mode.

Sounds like a lot of content for $15.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 6:08:36 AM PDT
Yeah, it seems like a lot of love went into the development. The graphics are detailed and the art style is quite charming (I liked the woodwind elements and shapes of clouds), as long as you can handle the high degree of cute.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions