Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 10:14:16 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
He's right, it was rather strange.

https://mobile.twitter.com/majornelson/status/304396492314128385

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:18:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 10:18:23 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
This guy's also right who replied to his tweet

"It doesnt matter what the system looks like only what it can do. Im not a fan of any 1 console but I'm sensing jealously from u"

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:24:43 PM PST
Bash on the competition when you've got nothing to show. That's one approach.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:34:25 PM PST
He didn't really bash them. In fact, in another tweet he seemed to be praising Sony.

That said, I do find some peoples' need to see the console RIGHT THE F NOW a bit strange.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:37:51 PM PST
It's a pretty obvious jab though, he's trying to say they did something wrong with their approach and considering his relationship to Microsoft just makes it all the more obvious.

What the console looks like matters not and Sony clearly let the games do the talking today. If you're more concerned about the design of your console than what it is capable of doing then you're doing it wrong.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:42:41 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:44:27 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
Microsoft could show them how to do it right by having their own press conference and actually give more details instead of letting rumors fester and then saying they don't respond to rumors when asked about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:48:25 PM PST
Prankster says:
There is no way to see this tweet positively. He was just trying to find something wrong with what they did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:50:21 PM PST
I think it was at most a playful knock. Remember that Microsoft and Sony actually do have a cordial relationship with each other. I'm just saying you shouldn't read too much into it. Like I said, he appears to be praising Sony in another tweet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:51:16 PM PST
I've got no doubts that Microsoft was waiting for Sony to announce their console so they could see how they approached, what people liked, and what they didn't like before moving forward with their announcement.

I just hope Microsoft's announcement isn't mostly about Kinect 2.0 with some games tossed in for good measure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:51:48 PM PST
This is an example of someone reading way too much into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:52:58 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
It still looks hypocritical though when Microsoft has been so secretive about their plans. Appearances are everything in PR, and Major Nelson appeared petty in that Tweet. If it was intended as a playful knock it backfired.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:55:12 PM PST
Prankster says:
Nope, this is an example of someone trying to defend someone when there's no reason to.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:55:40 PM PST
The companies Microsoft and Sony have a working relationship but at the end of the day their Xbox and Playstation divisions are competing against one another. Major Nelson is a PR person and you don't have to read into this at all to see he's trying to point out a fault in Sony's announcement. Even if he is praising them in another tweet doesn't mean this one can't be aimed to be a dig on Sony.

We see it all the time on the internet. Someone makes a comment giving some praise then turns around and makes a jab so they don't seem like they are just hating on it.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:57:10 PM PST
Prankster says:
Also, I'm not saying he should be sent to jail or set on fire but it's just an idiotic tweet when he could have just said a nice word like he did in the other tweet as you say and left it at that.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:00:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 11:02:01 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Personally I could care less how it looks as long as it has great specs and great software to go along with it at a reasonable price

Personally I think it was smart of them to not show it that way it gives people something to think about and look forward to so they don't lose interest

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:01:57 PM PST
How about the tweet where he seems to have praised Sony? I mean, come on. If his goal was to flame Sony then there were plenty of better opportunities to do so like Media Molecule's segment.

Major Nelson said he would post his thoughts about the conference this weekend. If we're going to engage in faux outrage then can we at least base it on the man's actual thoughts instead of projecting mindsets on this one worthless comment?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:03:24 PM PST
No defense at all. In fact, I called the comment worthless. Some people just need something to be pissy about.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:03:36 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I have to admit though, when the conference ended I had the same thought as Major Nelson did. I kept thinking "Okay, they're just going to do a big reveal at the end" but the best I got after seeing the Dualshock was "Hey, we're announcing now that we'll be announcing more soon."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:04:44 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I think that Media Molecule segment would've made more sense if I was high.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:05:55 PM PST
As I pointed out before we're seeing more influences from Nintendo on the market. Showcase the games, show off the controller, the console takes a backseat to that.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:06:53 PM PST
Frank says:
The folks who value form over function are like the architects who became one because they couldn't hack it in engineering school.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:08:58 PM PST
Are you going to GDC next month? Let me know if you do because I promise you'll see the PlayStation people and the Xbox people talking, joking and probably drinking together and the playful jabs will probably be even more brutal than this. If Major Nelson wanted to flame war there were plenty of better opportunities today than this.

You don't need need to fight the Sony-MS war on their behalf.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 11:10:26 PM PST
Brandon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:12:55 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
That doesn't really matter because the petty sounding tweet is what's going to get spread all over the Internet. From a PR standpoint it looks bad. His intentions or the timing of them isn't really relevant. How people perceive his tweet is. He should know better too being that he has been the main PR guy for the Xbox for years.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  181
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions