Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

GTA V to feature multiple protagonists

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 10:25:32 AM PST
http://www.gamespot.com/news/gtav-features-three-protagonists-6399705

Rockstar Games confirms rumor that hotly hyped sequel includes
multiple main leading characters.

Grand Theft Auto V will feature not one, but three main protagonists. That's according to the December issue of the GameStop-owned Game Informer magazine, which includes an 18-page spread with information about Rockstar Games much hyped open-world action game.

The character on the far left appeared in previous GTAV marketing material. And the man on the far right appears to be reaching for a gas mask. It is possible he is the same character shown in the game's first official artwork titled "Pest Control."

GTAV sporting multiple protagonists was first rumored in October 2011 alongside a suggestion that the game would be set in a fictional Los Angeles, California. Rockstar has confirmed the latter speculation as well, revealing GTAV will be set in a mock southern California city called Los Santos.

GTAV will be the first title in the series to tell its primary story through multiple characters. However, it is not an entirely novel idea for the franchise. Grand Theft Auto IV focused its narrative on the story of Niko Bellic, but ensuing downloadable expansions depicted Liberty City from the viewpoints of two additional characters.

Rockstar Games last week confirmed GTAV will ship for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 during spring 2013. Preorders for the game opened this week at select retailers in the United States and Europe. The game's second trailer will arrive November 14.

For more on GTAV, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:27:02 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
I'm curious as to how they will make this work.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:33:23 PM PST
Do you just pick one and play through the game as that person? Since that would be great.

But I don't like the idea of having to switch from one character to another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:34:03 PM PST
FOGE says:
Have... you played RDR?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:35:29 PM PST
It looks like they are taking the lead from Liberty City Stories, likely telling different sides of a story with each character. This game has the beef, which has been missing since 1987.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:35:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:39:03 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yeah, I don't like the idea of switching characters. GTA is all about the protagonist's struggle and path to success, and I feel like it would feel disjointed otherwise.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:36:49 PM PST
Interesting setup and I wonder how they are going to weave these stories together. Will we be able to change characters at will or are they going to have their own sections where you have to play as them? Curious to see how this plays out since this is a new setup for GTA. Would be interesting if they just had it so one story flowed into the next sort of like how Red Dead Redemption did it.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:36:55 PM PST
sounds horrible

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:42:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:48 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:43:23 PM PST
I hope it's not the same kind of setup as RE6, I have faith in Rockstar though, I'm sure it'll be fine.

GTA V to RE6- Anthing you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you.

RE6 TO GTA V-STFU

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:44:02 PM PST
The first official details about Grand Theft Auto V have been announced. In the newest digital issue of Game Informer, Rockstar has revealed that the game will have three playable characters -- Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Players will switch between characters "constantly" with a single button press, allowing them to see missions from different perspectives.

Michael is a retired bank robber who is now in the witness protection program, and whose wife has burned through his substantial fortune, causing him to get "back into the game." His friend Trevor, the second protagonist, is a "drugged out psychopath" who seems prone to violence. The final character, Franklin, is introduced stealing a car. All three come together to perform heists, which are described as "a big theme in the game."

Players will experience missions as different combinations of the three, and each will have a different skillset. For example, in one heist mission, Michael rappels down the side of a building while Franklin uses a sniper rifle from afar and Trevor flies in a helicopter above. Players can switch back and forth between Michael grabbing a target inside the building or Franklin trying to snipe enemies inside. Once you escape, everyone meets in the helicopter, and the player can choose to fly it as Trevor, snipe other pilots as Franklin or fire a gun from the back of the vehicle as Michael.

Los Santos will be the biggest open world in Rockstar's history, "bigger than Read Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV and San Andreas combined." Players will also be able to explore underwater areas of the city.

Rockstar has also changed driving mechanics, noting that cars "hold to the ground a bit better" and have "a little more physics on them," making driving feel more like a racing game. Shooting and melee combat have also been improved, as have pedestrian models (some pedestrians have now been mapped using motion capture for more realistic movement). Rockstar also hasn't employed any celebrities to provide voices for the game.

Heists will be a key element, but players will also experience elements similar to Red Dead Redemption's dynamic encounters, including stopping to check on broken cars and picking up hitchhikers. Players will also be able to chase and catch muggers or rob cash vans.

Characters can be customized by changing clothes, but height and weight customization isn't included. The phone will also return for obtaining important info, but now allows players to access the internet, among other things. Some items previously only accessible from the phone in Grand Theft Auto IV will simply be accessible on the map.

Each character will have their own social circle -- Michael has his son (Jimmy), Franklin has a "crazy friend" named Lamar and Trevor has a paranoid conspiracy theorist friend named Ron. Separately from missions, players will be able to switch between characters and see them living their daily lives, including some situations that may be "surprising."

Players won't be able to own real-estate, but there will be an economy for players to spend their money. GTA V has non canonical connection to the PS2-era Grand Theft Auto games, so don't expect to encounter C.J. or Tommy.

Grand Theft Auto V was originally announced in October 2011, followed by the first trailer in November. The idea of multiple playable characters was actually rumored early on, first suggested the day after the original announcement.

Rockstar will release the second trailer for Grand Theft Auto V on November 14th. For all the details in the trailer, check out our live Rewind Theater of the trailer that day, plus a ton of additional info throughout next week.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/grand-theft-auto-v-details-revealed?abthid=509c188d60b1d4a478000214

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIGGEST MAP EVER?!?! SOLD!!

Also I rather like how they describe the setup between the three characters. I'm officially pumped for this now!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:44:47 PM PST
FOGE says:
Ha! Thats funny. I didnt even notice that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:45:05 PM PST
So instead of a protagonist you have a party.

Odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:46:25 PM PST
I am totally down with this if it keeps me from being forced into certain roles during missions. I hate it when I want to drive or something and instead I'm stuck firing at the people chasing us while the clown driving does little to get away. Put me behind the wheel damn it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:52:56 PM PST
Harmicky says:
That's a a lot of info in one article. I dig it. My main takeaways:

- Being able to switch between characters during a mission does sound kind of cool, but seems like it's going to change the feel of the game a bit (for me).
- Biggest map yet? I love it. Wait, "bigger than Read Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV and San Andreas combined?" Now I'm psyched. The huge map was one of the things I loved about San Andreas.
- No owning of real estate? No big deal, but I'll miss this. I was such a pimp in Vice City with all of my houses.

Yep, I'm excited about this game. I'm a huge GTA fanboy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:59:03 PM PST
Pretty much my thoughts though the idea of how big this map is going to be is what truly gets me excited. I love having a huge open world to explore and just get lost in and that was one of my favorite aspects of San Andreas.

Rockstar just take my money already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:59:38 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
Not the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:01:11 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yep, me too. I loved just driving around the vast expanse of San Andreas and discovering random things. "Whoa, did I just see a man with no pants on hitting another guy with a spatula back there in that trailer park? Yep!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:04:36 PM PST
I just loved how much room I had to run from the cops and such. Or how I'd be driving around way the heck out in the middle of nowhere, wreck my vehicle, and now I've gotta hoof it back to society. I just love stuff like that because it feels so better to me. Sure Liberty City is nice but when I'm running from the cops it gets old doing laps around the same areas constantly and the game really starts to feel small after extended play sessions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:14:36 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yep. I loved the geographical variety in San Andreas. I think that was my favorite GTA.

Man, I'm getting excited. I've got to pace myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:15:39 PM PST
I couldn't get into GTA IV for some reason. Regardless, I will looking into this one. Rockstar are one of the few developers I would call auters, so I'm still keeping my eyes on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:18:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 1:30:03 PM PST
Harmicky says:
This is purely speculation, but if you haven't liked any other GTA then I doubt this one will be different.

P.S. I had to look up what "auters" means, and I'm still unsure in context of your statement.

Edit: I see I totally misread your comment about not liking GTA IV as not liking GTA. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:21:03 PM PST
That was what blew me away about the game was just how long it would take to get from one place to another plus all the vehicles too! It felt like a living breathing world that you could truly lose yourself in and very rarely did the world feel like it had limits which kept you from doing what you wanted.

GTA IV was a huge step back in that regard.

Right now I'm getting pumped for the Wii-U releasing and this as well next year.

@ Private

I can see why GTA IV didn't grab you, even I've got some issues with it in terms of what it offers and how it played out. I enjoyed the more mature story line but it also felt like the game lost that spark which makes GTA well GTA. They did bring back some of that magic though for Ballad of Gay Tony and hearing how high they are aiming for GTA V just gets me all the more excited.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:22:59 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
Plus San Andreas let you set fire to a pot-farm. One of my favorite gaming moments seeing CJ get all hazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:24:00 PM PST
Oh man I had forgotten about that! I was pretty blazed during that part because as soon as that hippie told me what we were going to do I figured might as well lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions