Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rumor - Dead Space 4 canned following poor DS3 sales

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 4:32:15 AM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/05/dead-space-4-canned-following-poor-sales-rumour/

Dead Space 4 canned following poor sales - rumour
Dead Space 4 has been canned, and the future of the series hangs in the balance following poor sales of Dead Space 3. That's the claim of an alleged source who says EA has pulled the plug on Visceral Games' franchise.

Speaking with Videogamer, a supposed source close to the matter has stated that Dead Space 4 was in pre-production at Visceral, but was shuttered following weak sales of its predecessor. Before it was axed, a team at Visceral Montreal was said to have been creating prototypes and plot concepts for the game.

The blow came as Dead Space 3 allegedly failed to hit its proposed sales target, and saw EA executives meeting with Visceral Montreal to tell them the production had been terminated.

We've contacted EA for more on the matter.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 4:33:35 AM PST
oh darn

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 4:48:15 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Development on Dead Space 4 was ceased after lower than expected sales of Dead Space 3...Visceral Montreal was also shut down...it seems Dead Space 3 suffered a somewhat troubled development...according to the report, weapon-specific ammo was switched for generic ammo late in the day to accommodate the game's controversial micro-transactions, and developer Visceral were ordered to take the series into a more action-focused direction in order to emulate BioWare's Mass Effect franchise and broaden its appeal...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-05-ea-cans-dead-space-series-following-poor-sales-of-dead-space-3-report

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:49:02 AM PST
Ouch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 4:59:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Aw, didn't hit the 5 million mark? Dead Space 4 was canceled when EA announced 8 months ago that if Dead Space 3 didn't sell 5 million units the series would be dead.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:00:26 AM PST
jtshiel says:
This isn't a surprise since EA already said they would can it if it didn't sell at least 5 million copies. But I thought they would give it more time than a month.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:01:05 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
See, that sucks nuts. They could have kept it survival horror and finished out the story and never touched this IP again since either way this series was dead in the water. But they had to go action over SH and the series is still dead.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:02:17 AM PST
elect Tron says:
I don't know what to be angrier at, EA or the general state of the AAA publisher model. It's a shame this great hobby gets raped like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:04:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 5:04:33 AM PST
Pretty much.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:10:41 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I can't say I really care. I liked the first game in the series well enough but I felt like the second one was just a boring slog and couldn't even get through it. I'd rather have them make a sequel to Dante's Inferno.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:11:45 AM PST
Did anyone expect it not to get canned?

This is EA we're talking about here. They only speak in money and if it doesn't speak in money then they're done producing it.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:13:52 AM PST
klopas says:
Doesn't EA realize that many people who have planned to play DS3 are waiting for it to drop below $20?

I hope that there were be quality spin-offs because I don't want this universe to just disappear.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:19:54 AM PST
waxc3 says:
there will be another Dead Space game. youll see.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:20:34 AM PST
And it'll be a free to play MMO with microtransactions...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:25:52 AM PST
waxc3 says:
k

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:25:53 AM PST
FOGE says:
Good. Make a new IP EA!

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:26:32 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Where's my Mass Effect 4 EA?????
I need it now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:30:05 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Mass Effect 4: Now featuring Necromorphs!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:32:48 AM PST
FOGE says:
Given the state of EA lately, Im terrified of what might happen to Mass Effect.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:46:03 AM PST
Hops says:
Dragon Age and Mass Effect are next. I love both series, but I can see this coming. I'm one of those that voted with my wallet against the EA practices rather than whining all over the internet. I'm sad to see the Dead Space franchise die, but that's the way it goes these days.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:47:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 5:51:27 AM PST
This is yet another series where I remember the original fondly and try to forget the sequels ever existed. Not a big deal.

Edit: Except for the people at the studio that lost their jobs, that is a bummer and I'm sorry to hear it.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:51:32 AM PST
Oh but Army of Two gets another game makes no sense the first two game prob sold as much as DS1 combined, and this newest one is going to flop hard.

This has been one of my fav series this gen and probably all time havent finish DS3 yet but hope the ending has a little closure but I bet there will be another Dead Space game at some point.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 5:55:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:36:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:58:46 AM PST
Voice of god says:
"according to the report, weapon-specific ammo was switched for generic ammo late in the day to accommodate the game's controversial micro-transactions"

Yeah, so we can dismiss this report as internet trollbait hoax. The reason they used generic ammo is kind of obvious, since they weren't going to create the dozens of ammo types they would need for the weapon crafting system.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:59:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 6:00:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I like the new generic ammo. More games should do this.

...Well, obviously not survival horror games, but action/shooters/FPS/TPS/ect, should definitely adopt this model.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions