Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 476-500 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:01:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:02:06 PM PST
God making mistakes is something that man would make up IMO. Not divinely inspired scripture at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:02:43 PM PST
Yeah, I just thought he knew that it was a gray area and was avoiding admitting it. But once he actually stated that owning slaves is not immoral then I knew it wasnt worth the time anymore debating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:05:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:06:46 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I wouldn't say that it was a mistake. He created the world as he wanted, but he was disappointed that the beings he created made evil choices, resulting in a world that he was very unsatisfied with. Although it didn't turn out the way he wanted, it was not a mistake either (since he created it in the way he wanted it).

E.g. I might make a decision to take a given route (the optimal route) to a given destination, but if it turns out that I somebody t-bones my car I will very much regret that I made that decision. However, no mistake was made, apart from the individual who ran into me of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:05:46 PM PST
The odd thing is he supposedly created us with free will, but then strives to take away quite a lot of that free will. Seems contrary to me. It's like telling a little kid not to break anything in the house but then giving them a baseball bat and a baseball and telling them to have fun.

If he truly wanted us to act in one certain way, why give us choice at all? It just seems masochistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:08:17 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Because He and His Son are meant to be glorified by this Creation. If we didn't have free will, their would be no glory to be received (just like creating a robot that compliments you all the time is not really as gratifying as somebody with free will saying it).

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:08:55 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Did anyone else ever have trouble trying to reconcile that God wants us to love him, but also fear him?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:08:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 2:10:19 PM PST
pasteyswazey says:
This.

A book I would suggest. Mere Christianity. It handles a lot of the points brought up here. It was written by an atheist turned Christian. Check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:11:35 PM PST
Nightmare says:
No problem for me. I loved and feared my Mom & Dad for essentially the same reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:13:28 PM PST
So God is basically vain? He created us soley to worship him? I mean really think about what you just said there. God, an almighty being with unlimited power, created man because he wanted someone to kiss his boots for all intents and purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:14:47 PM PST
Anthony says:
this seems like a perfect opportunity for a devil's advocate quote. too bad i don't have any of them memorized.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:14:52 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I wouldn't call it vain, but he did want to have a Creation that loved Him and He could love back. A mutually loving relationship is what He wanted, as far as I can tell from what the Bible says.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:15:17 PM PST
I am Error says:
As God created us in his own image I'm left to devise that God is a sadistic angy bastid hell-bent on mass destruction and chaos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:15:30 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I feared disappointing my father, but the moments I lived in mortal fear of something I was not loving something. The kind of fear God wants from us is mutually exclusive with Love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:17:13 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Apparently it's not mutually exclusive, because I experience it on a daily basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:17:43 PM PST
But how is forced love any different? He's not giving us a choice, he's saying love me or I'm going to condemn you to eternal damnation. God is basically a clingy ex-girlfriend....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:20:29 PM PST
Nightmare says:
As I've said multiple times before, I don't believe we will suffer eternal torment. This passage pretty much says that we will merely be punished for what we deserve.

" and he who, not having known, and having done things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few; and to every one to whom much was given, much shall be required from him; and to whom they did commit much, more abundantly they will ask of him." (Luke 12:48)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:22:30 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
You experience mortal fear for your soul every day of your life, but still manage to love the being who causes it? To each their own, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:24:26 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I think it takes true belief in the Bible to reach this point. If you truly believe in your heart, you can't help but love and fear Him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:27:19 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I well and truly believed once upon a time, and no amount of belief was ever able to make me reconcile the two.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:31:02 PM PST
Ned Flanders says:
God doesn't punish us in this life. The people of the world/ justice system punishes us for our crimes in this life.
Sin has consequences so, if you receive a consequence(punishment) based on your sin. That is just common sense. If you drink and drive and kill yourself. God didn't punish you. That is a consequence of the choice you made. But in death, we are either redeemed by having trusted in Jesus or you are not. Even then it was your choice. If anyone goes to hell it's not punishment from God, you made that choice when you didn't come to him. He told you in advance what would happen. Just like we know what will happen to us if we break laws and the consequence of that action.

The "laws of the land" we follow are based on the scriptures. However, just the laws wasn't enough. That's why Jesus died for us. The whole point of Christianity. Jesus is the only way to be saved, not by keeping rules.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:32:02 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Well, the love I have comes from knowing that God gave his Son to suffer the way he did so that we can be saved.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:33:15 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
And the fear? It's not the love I had issue with. I had plenty of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:35:30 PM PST
Nightmare says:
The fear comes from knowing that I am expected to do my best to live up to the Son's lifestyle, which is very challenging. He sacrificed Himself so that I can have eternal life, but I'm always afraid of faltering and failing in my attempts to meet the expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:42:34 PM PST
Joel H. says:
So if i told you that if you invest 10k with me.. i could turn it into 50? Have faith!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:44:36 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I don't have 10k to invest, so that point is moot. :P
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions