Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Capt's Log - Ragnarok Odyssey

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 106 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:58:19 AM PDT
I'm not a fan of the persona games either. But I can't deny that it is an RPG for the Vita. And the Vita could use some of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:16:55 AM PDT
Agreed. This is why I picked up Ragnarok Odyssey, as it's an RPG more made to my liking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:19:31 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/04/16

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:21:24 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Can you pair with random people to fight, or do you need to invite someone specific?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:36:09 AM PDT
It can be random

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:06:41 PM PDT
Darn you Amazon! I could have bought this from Gamestop already....even though I really do hate going there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:26:09 PM PDT
The Rag Rappies must pay for their crimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:27:57 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Hmm, that may change my mind about buying this game. I heard a good portion is multiplayer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:41:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:45:22 PM PDT
Do not actually quote me on that, I will find out for you when I get home tonigght. I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: OK i checked. you can, just entered a random persons room and then left :3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:56:41 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Awesome, thanks for checking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:36:09 AM PDT
You can play the entire game (all chapters, quests, sidequests) in a multiplayer group or solo as far as I know.

I hopped into a friend's game last night to help him with the Chapter 1 boss and a few other random quests.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:46:17 AM PDT
So, here's some more thoughts since I've progressed into Chapter 2:

Changing classes is nice, but I wish they had some sort of guide to show you which combos create which effects. I have no idea what the mages two charge skills do. I'm assuming one increases magic damage and one increases defense, but I have no clue. Hunter takes some getting used to, but once you figure out his skills it's a cool class. I'm really liking the mage for playing online since cleric takes FOREVER to cast a heal spell.

Unlocked quite a few more cosmetic helmets, some new cards, and new armor suits. The look is considerably different on some of them and the 4 dye choices have unique armor looks. The card system is cool because you can custom tailor your playstyle to a class.

The completely random feeling of upgrade drops can be frustrating, but I think the items show what monster they can be found on when you check the detail.

You can send weapons and cards through Near to be picked up by others, which I think is a nice addition. I got a nice sword last night from some random player. Also, everyone gets the same loot in multi, which is *awesome*. No running to a barrel before another player to break it open so you get the loot, it's all shared.

My biggest gripe with the game so far is the depth. So far, it isn't that deep. Once you memorize class combos, that's about it for skills and abilities. Cards are cool, but I don't even know what half this stuff means. The heck is Tension and why do I want it on a card? My tension card is 20 points, so it must be a good card. I get all these new cards and largely ignore them because I'd rather stack a bunch of five point +attack cards and a +defense card than spend 20 points on whatever this tension card might be.

Maybe as I get farther into the chapters I'll start to understand how it all works, but right now I'm just kind of mashing my way through each instance. Still fun for a new Vita game and highly recommended, but I don't think it'll have anywhere near the longevity that MHFU offers.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:57:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 4:58:25 AM PDT
"The completely random feeling of upgrade drops can be frustrating, but I think the items show what monster they can be found on when you check the detail."

They can if you have at least one of the items already. I need an item to upgrade a weapon and i have NO idea where to get it.

Couple other things for ya cap, as I also played a bit more last night!

1. Combos can be viewed in the Manual, if you hit the PS home button on the vita and open up the games manual (at the top of the creen the book icon) the guide has all the class combos and how to reach them, and what they do. Though it is annoying to have to go in and out of the game to view combos again.
2. I tried multiplayer last night and it was seemless. I joined a room and we went to kill a boss, though it seemed to be insanely easy. We went after the boss of chapter 2. But there wasn't any lag, or problems.
3. I agree with the gripe on depth, it is a very simple game in concept. Even MH has simple combos, but it was knowing when to use them and went to dodge that became the difficulty.
4. I'm in chapter 3 now, and It has a couple more bosses in it, I hope there are a lot more, that will keep me more interested in the game. I was never a fan of killing little tings or collecting flowers for a quest. Even in MH i disliked those quests.
5. The cards thing is nice, but I would like more detail. Like if I have Attack Up 1 does it stack with other attack up 1s?
6. Tension is that red meter beside your health bar that you use to activate... whatever that special mode is
7. I'm STILL not sure if I can sell anything, I feel like I'll need everything in the future. Only thing I sell at this point are weapons.
8. Having tried 3/6 classes, (Sword Warrior, Cleric, Mage) So far i like the mage class the best. It's combos are more interesting to me. I can do TOTOT and get ice, earth, Lightning and Fire in one attack chain. And that's fun to me.
9. Holding the O button at the end of a mage combo, double casts it.

"Maybe as I get farther into the chapters I'll start to understand how it all works, but right now I'm just kind of mashing my way through each instance. Still fun for a new Vita game and highly recommended, but I don't think it'll have anywhere near the longevity that MHFU offers. "

100% Agree. unless something changes around later on, it won't have the same pull.

Also, i remember now why I hated Monster hunter Freedom 2 when I first bought it many years ago. It was my first MH game so i didn't kno whow things worked. I was in single player mode, and I assumed that the gulid gave me the quests I needed. I didn't know about the village elder outSIDE the guild that gave me the single player quests. I was trying to do the multiplayer quests alone. with no knowledge of how the game worked. no wonder I couldn't kill a darn thing. I got so fed up I actually returned the game to the store and never tried again until MH3 came out on the Wii when I learned how the game worked.

Then I fell in love it.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:40:43 AM PDT
I got Ninja'd by Amazon....which is totally okay by me. I stopped by the post office on my way home from work last night and there was my package with RO and Zone of the Enders HD Collection LE. I was so happy. I put RO in and started it up. Got to chapter 1-8 or something like that last night. Even got to game with a real life friend. Definitely better with others, but I can see playing this offline in a single player campaign.

I am digging it so far, but I expect more depth to it as I progress the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:48:32 AM PDT
I think we all expect more depth.

I just don't think we will get it :p.

I actually hope I'm wrong. And how did you get Ninja'd by Amazon?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:59:23 AM PDT
I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing this weekend, but if anyone wants to play some RO online, I'd be game to give it a go.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:01:32 AM PDT
Earlier I posted that I was waiting on Amazon to deliver my package and when I checked my mail on my way home yesterday, it was there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:07:26 AM PDT
Oh! Gotcha, i understand now. Sorry for that confusion :3

I love when that happens. I had that happen with my Borderlands 2 guide. The problem was it was going through Fedex, and in the small town I live in Fedex has some... deal with the USPS that Fedex cannot deliver items directly to houses, only USPS and UPS can. So I wasn't supposed to receive the item until a Friday, when I say that it was dropped off at the post office on Tuesday. I walked over to the post office (I can see it from where I live :p) And picked it up right away. I was surprised that it would have sat there for 3 days...

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:16:12 PM PDT
I'm at the Devil Hawk in Chapter 2. The more I play this game, the less I like it (aka the exact opposite of MH). I can finally put my classification on this game: It's a Dynasty Warriors game with a limited MH 'grind for mats' add on. The customization in this game is miles below that of, say, PSP2, and the combat basically boils down to difficulty only by 'here, we spawned twenty guys around you', so you button mash for a few minutes. I'm going to keep with it for a little longer, but hope is fading fast on this baby.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:24:01 AM PDT
I believe someone called it "This game is a result of Dynasty Warriors and Final Fantasy Having a baby that was raised by Monster Hunter"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 4:45:48 AM PST
Sounds about right.

The standard missions have a dynasty warriors vibe to them, but I just fought the 3-11 monster last night and I really enjoyed the fight. It's no-where near as calculated and precise as Monster Hunter, but it's still a fairly enjoyable game.

I'm a few missions into Chapter 4 and I am enjoying it quite a bit more than the first two chapters. I think I've fought a total of 3 large and 1 giant monster, but there needs to be a lot more options when it comes to weapons. After the giant monster fight I didn't get access to any new swords or anything, but I am unlocking new upgrades on cards.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:58:08 AM PST
I think my problem atm is I just don't feel like I'm progressing that much. I feel like I'm still doing the same damage in chapter 4 as 1. I've decided to stick with the mage class because I found a staff with HP UP 2 or 3 i can't remember. it gives me +800 max hp, plus i like the mage combos. But since chapter 2 I haven't found a better staff than that, and maybe it's just my god awful luck. Also the more times you refine an item the less effective it becomes at refining. For instance My staff started at 60 power, each refine brought it up by 5 so at +3 it had 75 power. Now each refine only brings it up 3. The only downside to a mage is that if you aren't allowed to finish a combo, your don't do much damage. And that can be risky.

The fights are fun, sometimes a bit annoying, but fun. the 3-11 fight in particular was great fun. And the multiplayer is at least well done. Though I didn't like that they took the "3 people die means quest fail" page out of MHs book. We had one boss kill 3 of us with one attack. Instant fail. Though we had a jolly laugh. The game also isn't afraid to throw status ailments at you left and right. Burning, Poison, Bad Poison, i feel like I have a different one every time, and they HURT. So bring Cures to heal them or you will suffer!

Last thought, I would like explanations on certain things in game. I don't know what Tension is, it took me a while of experimenting to learn that Attack up 1 and Attack up 1 do stack together, same with HP up and Defense Up etc... It is fun to experiment with card... decks? I'm not sure what to call it.

Oh quick note: I tried out the Hunter, maybe I failed at something or didn't have a strong weapon, but when I was fighting the boss of Chapter 2. I couldn't deal more than 1 damage no matter what section of that thing I attacked. I must have missed something.

Capt we need to blow some things up in multiplayer at some point :p

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:24:55 AM PST
"Oh quick note: I tried out the Hunter, maybe I failed at something or didn't have a strong weapon, but when I was fighting the boss of Chapter 2. I couldn't deal more than 1 damage no matter what section of that thing I attacked. I must have missed something."

Certain weapons won't even deal damage to the enemies. I think you need to use better quality weapons to deal damage to them. For instance, the tier 1-3 regular 2-handed swords don't damage hill giants, but an executioner class blade or above deals standard damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 5:27:02 AM PST
I think tension is the red bar that fills up for DS mode. The faster your tension increase, the quicker that bar fills for DS mode. It also causes it to decrease faster.

I think you can even find slower gaining tension cards, which in turn causes DS mode to last even longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:44:56 AM PST
DS Mode gets me killed more often than it helps :p I should probably not hit it as frequently as I do
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions