Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita sales stall in Japan while third party 3DS titles take off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2012 2:18:02 PM PDT
I could have sworn I read right here on VGF that third party developers would abandon the 3DS once the Vita launched...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165799/PS_Vitas_Japanese_sales_stall_as_thirdparty_3DS_games_take_off.php

While PS Vita's "Game Heaven" promotion failed to generate momentum for the ailing system in Japan, the Nintendo 3DS further entrenched itself in the handheld market with new third-party releases.

Weekly hardware sales for Sony's new portable have been sinking for some time now, stuck at 10,000 units for the last two weeks -- a fraction of 3DS's weekly sales of around 70,000, and trailing behind the 16,000 sales from its seven-year-old predecessor, the PSP.

Some have blamed the low sales on a lack of compelling software for PS Vita -- Sony held a "Game Heaven" online event for Japan last week that teased upcoming titles, but those announcements didn't appear to translate into more sales for the system.

Only one PS Vita game made it into the top 20 software sales chart last week (tracking only retail sales, not digital copies), Zipper Interactive's newly released third-person shooter Unit 13. It's the only PS Vita title to chart in the last three weeks.

Games for Nintendo 3DS, however, performed well, making up seven of the top ten best-selling games last week. Third-party titles, often cited as a weakness for Nintendo platforms, have enjoyed strong sales on the portable.

Sega's new Hatsune Miku and Future Stars for 3DS was the second top-selling game after moving about 86,000 units. And Konami's Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D debuted with 38,000 copies, which is in-line with other recent re-releases for the franchise.

Other third-party releases like Marvelous AQL's Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin, Capcom's Monster Hunter 3G, and Square Enix's Theatrhythm Final Fantasy continue to sell well alongside first-party titles like Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Namco Bandai's PlayStation 3 game One Piece: Pirate Warriors was again the best-selling title last week with 90,000 copies sold, despite it reportedly moving 92 percent of its initial shipment and likely being supply-constrained.

Capcom's Street Fighter X Tekken debuted last week, and the PS3 version was the third top-selling game with 58,000 copies, while the Xbox 360 version was the 14th with 8,000 units -- a little behind Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, but ahead of Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Full software and hardware sales charts for the March 5 to 11 period in Japan, provided by Media Create and translated by NeoGAF, are available here.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:26:06 PM PDT
RJMacReady says:
It's all about Monster Hunter. A handheld can't do well in Japan without Monster Hunter.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:29:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 2:30:14 PM PDT
Sal Paradise says:
Really? There are people who still try promoting this stuff and having no idea what drives sales? When you or the author posts this stuff, you do realize that it's because in Japan, many gamers will buy a console based on a game. Hence with Kid Icarus coming out, of course the 3DS will be selling off the charts while the Vita doesn't have anything new out yet.

I'll be awaiting your post about the Vita when Mohan and a few other great games come out and everyone says how well the Vita is selling despite everyone saying it was doomed.

Also, why are so many gamers against one system or another? There are great games on both systems and neither system is going to be out of commission anytime soon, despite what some people think about the Vita. They will both be around awhile and will both have great games.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:30:12 PM PDT
I purchased my Vita and plan to purchase all my games from Japan to help bring up the sales there.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 2:31:21 PM PDT
Sal Paradise says:
haha, well I recommend picking up Tales of Innocence. It's a great RPG for the Vita. Can't wait for more Tales games and great RPGs on the system down the line.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:33:02 PM PDT
Aku says:
You're new here, aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:36:33 PM PDT
Apparently you didn't read the first line of Jason's post because that tells you exactly why he posted this article.

Everyone was spelling d00m and gl00m for the 3DS because it wasn't selling well and claiming the Vita would blow up the moment it released. Clearly that hasn't been the case.

Maybe if you kept up on stuff like this you might understand the context of the author's intent and the OP's reasoning behind posting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:37:49 PM PDT
"I'll be awaiting your post about the Vita when Mohan and a few other great games come out and everyone says how well the Vita is selling despite everyone saying it was doomed.

Sure. Keep an eye out for it.

"Also, why are so many gamers against one system or another?"

I can't say. Why exactly were (are) so many Sony fanboys against the 3DS?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:43:39 PM PDT
Sal Paradise says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:47:25 PM PDT
No, Sal. You understand nothing. I have no interest in "flaming a war between the Vita and the 3DS." (lol)

I am invested heavily in both systems. I think they both have something to offer and I want them to be competitive with each other because that is best for us. I also have stated multiple times that these systems need each other to succeed. If one fails that is not good news for the other.

However, we had quite a few Sony Ponies with more loyalty than brainpower post right here at VGF that the 3DS was doomed. Every negative news story (posted by me) brought them out to say how the success of the Vita is all but guaranteed. This article is for THEM.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:49:49 PM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
He clearly doesn't understand your devotion to the N-Gage above all others.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:52:49 PM PDT
Only because he has never held an N-Gage in his hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:54:27 PM PDT
AJF says:
Similar to the Vita, not many people have.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:55:15 PM PDT
Not many people seem to be aware of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:58:40 PM PDT
AJF says:
The N-Gage or the Vita?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 2:59:03 PM PDT
John McClane says:
I've encountered this species in the field before. Jason is a troll that gets a thrill out of playing devil's advocate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 3:01:05 PM PDT
The Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 3:03:23 PM PDT
No you don't.

Not only have analysts and other "experts" predicted that the 3DS would not succeed against the Vita but fanboys and other people like that have also made those claims too. Even after the 3DS turned it around you'd heard about how the Vita was going to sink the 3DS based on graphical power alone but that obviously hasn't been the case. There has been quite a bit going on between these two handhelds for some time now. Again if you were following this and paid attention to the industry the way some of us do you might realize this.

So no, you don't understand the point of all this or what Jason is pointing out here with this article.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 3:07:09 PM PDT
M4ZiNG3R_D says:
Many people thought Vita was going to destroy the 3DS prior to Nintendo dropping its price.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 3:15:58 PM PDT
not just prior to the price drop it went on for awhile after the drop too. sony fanboys thought the price drop was the signal of the end of nintendo consoles that nintendo would just go software like sega.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 3:17:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2012 3:19:19 PM PDT
Sal Paradise says:
Thanks Keji, I guess when you say that I don't pay attention to the "industry", you mean that I don't spend hours and months on the VGF here at Amazon and reading the other fanboy comments from game websites. I think that's where all the "bit going on about the handhelds" has come from. Both Sony and Nintendo realize that both systems will survive in the market, it's mostly just the fanboys who can't come to terms with that. Again sorry I don't understand the "industry" like apparently you do. Congratulations.

Point taken and I'll be sure to stay out of the 3DS vs Vita worthless bantering threads from now on.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 3:41:23 PM PDT
No you don't and it goes beyond "fanboy comments and spending months on the Amazon VGF."

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/07/02/nintendo-3ds-pachter-believes-playstation-vita-will-rob-nintendos-market-share/

"Outspoken industry analyst Michael Pachter is under the impression that Sony's forthcoming PlayStation Vita will rob Nintendo of precious market space. Pachter also believes that Sony's handheld will most "likely contribute to further declines in Nintendo's share price". Do you believe that the PlayStation Vita is as big a threat to Nintendo as Pachter is making out to be?"

What's that? Someone that isn't on the VGF talking about how the Vita will take over the 3DS? Gee maybe you're not quite as clever as you think you are.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 3:52:26 PM PDT
I love my 3DS and I really want a Vita when the time is right. I just love it when fanboys(especially Sonymites) and know-it-alls eat their own words.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 4:30:46 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
Sony needs to cut the price or pack in a free memory card, no two ways about it.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 4:57:14 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
3DS library is simply much juicier than Vita's, in every market. Bottom line. Add to that a market friendly price and it doesn't partake in the nonsense proprietary hosedown.

The games are actually from the ground up on the hardware, not mainly ports. Though it delivers on classic Ninty ports in its own right.

I think i'm reaching that breaking point where i need me some 3DS lovin'.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions