Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: At least Romney didn't lose to a dead guy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 2:40:23 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
(Reuters) - Florida Democrat Earl K. Wood and Alabama Republican Charles Beasley won their respective elections but they will not take office.

Both men died weeks before the November 6 election yet managed to beat their very much alive opponents by comfortable margins.

Wood died on October 15 from natural causes at age 96, during his campaign for a 12th term as Orange County Tax Collector in Orlando, Florida.

Criticized for rarely coming into the office while collecting a $150,000 salary and $90,000 pension, Wood initially announced he would step down, only to change his mind when a longtime political foe made plans to seek the seat.

Wood's wide name recognition after almost half a century in office scared off several serious contenders. His name remained on the ballot and he took 56 percent of the votes to 44 percent for a Republican who promised to eliminate the office altogether if elected.

Beasley, 77, died on October 12, possibly due to an aneurysm, while trying to reclaim his old seat on the Bibb County Commission in central Alabama.

Beasley's name also remained on the ballot and he won about 52 percent of the vote. His Democratic opponent, incumbent Commissioner Walter Sansing, took the loss especially hard.

"It is a touchy situation. When you are running against a dead man, you are limited as to what you can say," Sansing told Reuters.

He blamed people voting straight Republican tickets for his loss.

In Orlando, Scott Randolph, an outgoing Democratic state legislator and state party activist, was selected by his party to receive votes cast for Wood and he will assume the office. In Alabama, the governor will appoint a new commissioner with input from local Republicans.

http://news.yahoo.com/dead-candidates-win-elections-florida-alabama-202607386.html
---

He can always stick that feather in his cap.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:49:39 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
12 Terms? Why is it that a president can only run for 2 terms but you can apparently live your entire life in any other part of the government.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:54:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 2:55:02 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
After FDR they made a rule that no president could serve more than two terms.

in government? effed if I know...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:57:10 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Someone was just telling me earlier today that Orin Hatch has been in the senate for 40+ years or so. It's no wonder that government never goes anywhere.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:04:15 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
"Criticized for rarely coming into the office while collecting a $150,000 salary and $90,000 pension"

Get paid for not working? Damn, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:08:41 PM PST
Hmmm...I can envision a "Weekend at Bernies" style movie taking place on Capitol Hill. Two zany undersexed frat boys use the corpse of a dead congressman to try and pick up attractive interns. Mayhem ensues when one of our hapless heroes starts a world war by making the dead Congressman vote to invade Europe!

Rated R for Comic Mischief, Tobacco Use, and Scenes of Corpse-@#$%ing

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:09:25 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
You and me both
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions