Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Guest, Keji, and Capt: I regret to inform you that you all just died in the dungeons of Mount Grimrock.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 123 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:28:53 AM PST
I still say that this was the perfect marriage of the old MnM games with a little dash of Demon's Souls splashed in for effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:43:55 PM PST
I'm fairly positive because he never got the achievement for killing something by dropping it in a pit and never had any signs of victory.

I figured that out on level 3 as well lol. At first I assumed they meant certain death but after hitting the teleport puzzle I fell in one and was quite surprised. I've been thinking about backtracking to see what I can find in all the other pits I passed but I want to keep moving forward as well.

Also his party isn't that well balanced at all as he didn't pay attention to race bonuses and such when assigning classes. Two lizardmen with one being a rogue and the other being a warrior, a Minotaur as a warrior, and a human mage. He's already had his party wiped a few times and isn't leveling regularly like I am because he keeps avoiding fights using the pits.

Good idea on writing down spell combos as well, I need to do that so I'm not having to check my inventory. Been quite a few years since a video game forced me to write stuff down lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:16:44 PM PST
Are you sure he got no XP?

Also, someone mentioned in this thread that you can drop down in every pit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:34:57 PM PST
Yea I'm really enjoying it thus far and digging the overall old school vibe it has. We discussed doing old school mode but ultimately said no because it sounded like way more work than we cared to put into it. I don't think he's found the map yet and he seems to be having some trouble since he's never really played an old school dungeon crawler like this. In fact I had to help him with the first little puzzle of "Press the loose stone" and he's playing in a rather odd manor. For example in the room with the four spearmen that locks as soon as you enter and also contains the trap door in the middle I lured out the spearmen one by one to fight in the hallway while he just went straight in and killed them by dropping them down into the pit thus gaining zero exp.

We didn't get a chance to play today unfortunately and tomorrow we're having a Minecraft day so perhaps Sunday we'll be back on there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:55:45 PM PST
Awesome, huh?

I am not crazy enough to go for old school mode...though I have written down and gone through a ton of the spell combos, noting which ones work, which ones fizzle, and which ones are combos for a spell I'm not skilled enough to use. I could look it up (I have for some puzzles) but this feels awesome.

This is something that may help: You can drop (not throw) items through gates.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:13:51 PM PST
I finally got this last night and I'm loving it. My roommate and I are racing to see who can beat it first and thus far we've been neck and neck. We're both stuck on level 3 at the teleport puzzle lol.

My team consists of Keji the warrior Minotaur, Nate the rogue Lizardman, Guest the mage Insectoid, and Capt K the warrior Human. Only had one time where my party was wiped and that was on level 2 in the room full of the skeleton spearmen which locks as soon as you walk in.

WHY DIDN'T I BUY THIS SOONER?!

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:55:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 7:55:34 PM PST
Started a second party on Easy this time...two minotaur fighters and two insect mages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:53:28 PM PST
It is...you need to try to close the door so you can only take on one at a time, make sure you also make some of those anti-venom potions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:10:00 PM PST
I keep getting slaughtered by the multitude of giant spiders that come after you. I am pretty sure that was still level 3, but I havent played for a few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:38:31 PM PST
Sorry. At some point between being locked in chains and tossed down a big hole for a crime I didn't commit, I forgot to ask the guards to feed us.

Really though, food is a very finite resource. So far only two enemy types drop them (giant snails and giant mushrooms), and those types are getting pretty rare.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:11:08 PM PST
You should have brought more food.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 5:56:55 PM PST
Finally got to level 4...I think my party is gonna run out of food before we make it out of the dungeon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:59:06 PM PST
Yeah, that's what it looks like. I mean the puzzles are very specific so I get why they can't randomize the levels. But random loot would go a long way here. the only replay value is new parties. I have to see if there are any randomization mods.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:33:19 PM PST
Yeah all the weapons/loot is totally set. But its kind of spaced out, so say you take axes, you'll find an axe early on but wont find another one for a little while. So really it all kind of evens out.

I wish it was all randomly generated, the game is amazing, but once you beat it, theres not a whole lot of replay value. Been meaning to try out the user made levels though but just kind of been caught up in other games.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:23:06 AM PST
That said, you're using a dagger from the back row now (assassination at 12), so your dagger skill is gonna be getting all the points!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:21:13 AM PST
Keji is a minotaur...he felt embarrassed using a dagger until he found a decent axe!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:18:47 AM PST
Correct.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:18:20 AM PST
Once I get my current party down past level 3 I will start my second party with two minotaurs and two mages...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:16:12 AM PST
Okay. That's kind of strange, I mean I can spec a fighter for swords from the start and I don't know of a sword before the end of level 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:12:58 AM PST
I think they're always in the same place. I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:59:41 AM PST
Oh, I asked earlier...are weapons random, or always in the same place?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:58:28 AM PST
Yeah, I was really surprised the first time. I thought it was a graphics issue at first. Like "What the hell is the lighting doing?" Then I realized it was the torch. It's a minor mechanic, but I love the level of detail!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:51:30 AM PST
Also remember torches have a sort of durability as well. If you are using a torch it will slowly die out. I usually just drop those on the ground. However, any torches in your inventory or on walls do not lose durability.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:18:34 AM PST
Not a fan of the puzzles, but I try to get them all on my own. I've only looked up a couple so far. Some are easy to get the hang of (like I know it's about torches, I'm just not putting them in the right spots...) and some you can pretty much look at and see it instantly.

Make sure to always stock up on torches when you're done with an area.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:08:04 AM PST
w00t, my bank appears to have setup our new account so was able to get this game via the HB. Now, I get to see what all of the puzzles are about.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions