Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

ZombiU IGN Video Review (6.3/10)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 125 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:38:28 PM PST
Waldo says:
Video game reviews are like what Siskel & Ebert were for the movies! Don't trust reviews of entertainment purposes because we all have our own different tastes! Just because someone gives The Sound of Music a 10/10 star review doesn't mean YOU will personally like it and rate it the same!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:34:58 PM PST
G-Money says:
This review makes it sound promising. A more difficult ode to the old resident evil games

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:27:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 2:30:44 PM PST
Sometimes I take a glance at the Metacritic number just to get an idea of where reviewers are weighing in but if I'm truly interested in a title I'm reading through reviews.

For example I have no interested in Call of Duty but I've taken a peek at the Metacritic score of Declassified just to see if there was anyone giving it a decent rating (there wasn't).

Just blows me away when I see people post stuff like "Lol 4.5 out of 10" and that's all they truly care about.

Edit: Also I like to get to know reviewers tastes because then I can get an idea of why they rate games the way they do. Jim Sterling is someone I really enjoy following because he cuts mince words and he doesn't hide the fact that he enjoys certain types of games regardless of what others think. Meanwhile you look at other reviewers like Greg Miller and it isn't hard to see he has a bias towards Sony products but he'd never admit that. Ask Jim about his feelings are on Kirby and he'll happily announce his love for Kirby, remind you of his national Kirby day, and then promptly give the game a perfect score because to him that's the epitome of enjoyment when it comes to a game and nothing tops having fun in his book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:22:26 PM PST
Can't you just accept that people on the Internet who haven't played the game are in a better position to tell you how good it is? Just accept it and move on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:17:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, the important part of a review is the text, not the number. Which is why Metacritic averages are pointless. Going to metacritic to get a dozen reviews to read and think about? A good idea. Going to metacritic to see a number? Stupid and pointless.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:16:29 PM PST
I had zero interest in this game until I started reading the reviews (yes, even the bad ones). Even if the reviewer didn't give it a good score, the game sounds surprisingly unique and I really want to give it a shot.

Same thing with Nintendoland. I didn't really care for it much, but now I can't wait to check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:11:53 PM PST
I had them on pre-order on Amazon but they said I ordered to late so they wouldn't be arriving until the 21st. I hit a Wal-Mart right by my house and they were completely cleaned out of Wii-U stuff except for one copy of Sonic All Stars Racing, Scribblenauts, and a bunch of Just Dance games. Gamestop though I had success and they had plenty of copies of games but no hardware in sight.

I know! I was floored at how easy it was to setup and I expected it to be a few steps until I had my TV under control. Just select the maker of your TV and the damn thing does the rest. In my opinion this is a pretty cool step forward because all I need to grab is my Gamepad and I've got control over everything.

@ DVvM

Personally I don't typically pay attention to whatever number, amount of stars, or anything like that which review sites attach to games. I'm more interested what they didn't like about the game and why. In fact I wish websites would get rid of review scores and just write a review without some number attached to it. Feels like 9 times out 10 people just look at the score and that's all they care. Just look at this thread and the other ZombiU threads if you need more proof of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:50:39 PM PST
DVvM says:
Eurogamer gave it a 9/10, Joystiq gave it a 4.5/5, Destructoid gave it an 8/10. I think all of these scores are significantly more important than IGN's 6.3/10, particularly because my experiences with games more closely mimic Eurogamer's (for example) than IGN's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:46:54 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Looking forward to it, the bulk of my Wii U games are slated to arrive tomorrow.

Also, YES! The Gamepad acting as a remote for the TV is so sweet! I had to pause my game last night and mess with my wife by changing from Lifetime to Jason in Space, lol. It was so, SO easy to set up as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:24:46 PM PST
If I get the game and it isn't that great I'll admit it, I've got no brand loyalty here beyond I'm a fan of zombies. From what I've read in the reviews none of these issues are something I didn't have to look past to enjoy Dead Island (tedious melee combat and such) outside of the tapping on the control pad. I'm looking forward to putting this one through the paces and seeing what all it has to offer.

I'll definitely be making a thread later on today posting my impressions on ZombiU and the rest of the Wii-U stuff I got.

Also on a totally unrelated note using the Gamepad to control my TV is pretty damn sweet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:23:10 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You're thinking of LuvR.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:21:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 1:22:04 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
You just like to be purposefully contrary, that is why you're getting ZombiU.

/I'm just kidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:19:42 PM PST
Apparently so. Well my Wii-U just arrived and I've got it updating so I'm off to the store to pick up New Super Mario Bros. U and *gasp* ZombiU despite a few so-so reviews and one not so good one.

Guess I'll just have to make do with the fact that I can't play this survival horror game recklessly and like a run and gun affair.

Good news Left 4 Dead! You're not being replaced! Bad news Dead Island, you have! Until Riptide comes out...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:56:31 PM PST
I have to admit that really knocks this game down for me big time. I really thought the MP stuff sounded amazing. But having to do it all split-screen with friends kind of ruins it for you there. I mean how surprising is it really when you can just look over and see the zombie overlord getting ready to "surprise" you with special zombies.

This game has KickStarter written all over it, AMAZING premise and goals, but seems to somewhat fall flat on executing what it wanted to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:54:28 PM PST
I wonder if you get red "zombies" and a message saying

"GamerTag has invade.....errr we mean zombie-ded"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:48:40 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:44:09 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Because they were paid off, duh. IGN and Gamespot tell it like it is.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:43:07 PM PST
It's kind of funny how the bad reviews are the ones that seem to count while the good reviews are being written off as not being accurate and just giving an inflated score.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:42:12 PM PST
I wonder if the ZU messages are orange...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:40:37 PM PST
So then the only online elements are really the rip off of the Souls games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:35:46 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:35:19 PM PST

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:28:57 PM PST
Wait, so the multiplayer stuff is local only??

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:49:45 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Nobody should have expected a game called ZombiU to be good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:47:22 AM PST
That sounds really cool actually.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  125
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions