Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

U.S. Senator Proposes Banning "Grand Theft Auto V" in The Wake of Sandy Hook Tragedy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:50:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 7:50:46 AM PST
how embarrassing.

once for being a a so called 'senator' and twice for humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 6:41:04 AM PST
Mel says:
no

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 4:41:17 AM PST
No.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:42:47 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm aware that it won't happen. And I don't think the publishers or console makers would be sad if gamefly and gamestop go out of business.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:37:37 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Sha --- I understand...what do you think they would want the power to do? It starts slow --- and then eats the rest like a wild fire. People give in to the hysteria, they thing there's a great intention involved and they let their leaders go ahead and make these irresponsible bills with erroneous clauses which opens up means and ways to nearly destroy or water down a right or privilege. Case in point --- the big Tobacco lawsuits brought fourth the ease of lawsuits in general, and thus, class action law suits were a running money maker for any little discomfort someone may get from a daily activity or using a public/private place for any reason --- after that presidence...ohhh boy --- now we have robbers who can sue you for getting hurt while stealing from your home! Alchol was tried in the 30's but was rescinded due to the black market. Movies would be next to sensor because an increasing and desperate public needing " safety" would at some point warm up to " a little" regulation until you have full blown control over what is written, said, or thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:09:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 11:19:32 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
yeah, that'll be the day, Gamefly and Gamestop would go out of business. not to mention, people would probably revolt/boycott and cause riots in the streets. no, video games are here to stay, they aren't goin anywhere, but into the hands of gamers.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:45:42 PM PST
AndrewA says:
We might as well let them ban video games for a few months until the next shooting so they have to realize games aren't the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:27:58 PM PST
I knew I heard something.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:23:42 PM PST
They started (or will soon start) allowing an age 18 rating. Not sure if such games will also be edited for content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:22:03 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>I hope GTA5 gets banned, it's too good for gamers to play.<<

and Saints Row Third wasn't?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:16:27 PM PST
I'm pretty sure Australia lifted the ban on certain video games. I could be wrong though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:08:33 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
if we ban video games, we might as well ban violent movies and etc as well, since they contribute to violence too or lets run things the same way Australia runs their country. hell, let's ban tobacco and alcohol while we're at it, since cigarettes cause lung cancer, gum disease when you chew it and alcohol causes the most death accidents in America, when it comes to drunk driving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 4:45:05 PM PST
I'm not arguing what you said, but don't you think part of the "I'm friggin' depressed or angry and I'm going to kill innocent people to bring attention to myself right before I commit suicide" thing wouldn't be as common if the media didn't totally sensationalize the incident and the shooter when it happens?

As for the op, this politician, who probably would be unemployable in the private sector, spewed out another stupid sound bite just to get himself attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:35:28 PM PST
FOGE says:
Yawn... "I don't like this! Ban this! " You don't even go here!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:56:38 PM PST
Mel says:
I hope GTA5 gets banned, it's too good for gamers to play.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:17:03 PM PST
"As I would disagree with you concerning the NRA"

Fair enough, but I for one could never trust an organization that would willingly use the word "ban." That word is poison for the mind, and only the wicked and the ignorant would ever suggest such a thing. I don't think the NRA's leaders are fools so...

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:10:13 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
I believe the 1st Match strike that will put the 1st Amendment into question involving video games will be when class action law suits are filed against the game companies from possible one of the Sandy Hook families. There is no telling how this will turn out or what on-the-minute, media contrived call for blood they will support in order to create hysteria and wrongly written legislation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:07:31 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
As I would disagree with you concerning the NRA, I agree concerning the emotions that are swept up into the division between party lines when at the end of the day, as they wish to apply their own brand of a soap box speech --- there is actually collusion with both sides in hopes they gain more power and less freedoms of a very easily broken people. I would fight for any man's rights, even if I disagree with them but at least there is freedom and will to make such a choice versus some overly stacked centralized group of ultra rich politicians becoming self made demi-gods.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 1:56:52 PM PST
"The new year is going to bring some vicious fights in a polarized, winner-takes-all country where lines are drawn and moderation is a thing of the past."

You're absolutely right. We're now beholden to two extremist parties that treat every little issue like it's a major war. The problem is that your average citizen isn't really an extremist, but they become so invested in the struggles of their chosen party that they start swallowing anything they are fed.

I know good, intelligent people who believe that the Republicans or the Democrats just need to be given free reign so they can "fix" the country, but don't seem to understand that the answer is moderation. There can be no winner if we are to survive as we are now.

The NRA isn't fighting for gun owners, it's a greedy lobby that represents weapon merchants. It could care less about civil liberty as long as they make money. Nothing makes that more evident than these ridiculous statements. On the other hand, liberals don't care about HOW the tragedy at S.H. came to happen, they only want to win the gun control issue so they can consolidate more power. It's all just sickening.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:55:44 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:49:46 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Also of note --- why not speak of his name? Joseph Machin III, ( D ), WV severing after Robert Bryd passed away and a close tie to Jay Rockefeller. Often he sides with Chuck Shumer ( D ) of NY on a myriad of regulation and attempted bans.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:43:33 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Which is why I don't think some people understand that all of our amendments go hand in hand you cannot attack one and expect the others to remain untouched because each presidence you make has a domino effect on the other --- if you value the 2nd Amendment, then as an honest and prudent citizen, you must value the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th. If you say --- Well, I dislike guns, why does someone need more than one anyway? No problem --- ban some while others are just fine, I don't have any so I don't care" ---- Well very well so when there is a discussion as to why someone " needs" violent video games, we can also now say people shouldn't due to x, y, and z danger. Then confiscation is considered, just as a few notorious Senators have suggested, particular in NY State with Mr. Como and company. Its truly an age old and solid lesson --- Divided we all fall, United we stand. I also find it somewhat laughable, back when I would mention they would attempt such a thing down the road I heard roaring laughter with something on the order of " It can't happen here" well ---- here we are. The hour is now. The new year is going to bring some vicious fights in a polarized, winner-takes-all country where lines are drawn and moderation is a thing of the past.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:39:47 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah. Thankfully that's not the kind of country we live in.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:24:25 AM PST
Thankfully though no one is banning anything so you can relax.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:23:05 AM PST
Noble Seven says:
It is extremely unfair to ban a upcoming game that everyone has been waiting for. The NRA is pure evil.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions