Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

God of War: Ascension impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 5:52:00 AM PDT
So far not bad, I've only played about 2 hours of it...same formula, epic scenery. The story is still developing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:54:09 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Have you had access to any weapons BUT the blades of chaos?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:59:26 AM PDT
i've used the random weapons scattered around

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:00:36 AM PDT
pokritz says:
oh so you can pickup different weapons from your surroundings?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:01:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:04:40 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Oh ok. I need to get around to trying the SP demo.

One of the reviews mentioned you are stuck with the Blades of Chaos throughout the game. No Nemian Cestus, Whip, Claws of Hades, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:02:13 AM PDT
yup...i haven't figured out how or if you can drop them

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:02:45 AM PDT
I smell sarcasm?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:06:51 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
From what I know you only have the blades but now they get different powers like Fire and Ice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:18:12 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
I believe L1 + circle = throw weapon

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:32:12 AM PDT
thanks, will try it out

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:33:17 AM PDT
i think my backlog has gotten the best of me. i am a big fan of both the God of War and Gears of war series, but i am in no rush to pick up either of the new releases.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:16:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 7:16:44 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
MP is ass. Nothing but a bunch of people running around stun locking each other. I got to level 4, but I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

I played the SP and got to the Cistern. I already have the fire magic for them, and I've dropped a Fury already.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:18:12 AM PDT
Depends on which weapon you pick up from the ground. The sword and club are hack and slash type weapons, although the club can be thrown for a earth smash attack. The spear is thrown (ala Ghost of Sparta) no matter what and you have limited ammunition. There's also a shield you can steal from certain enemies and then use it for a shield bash attack much like they do in 300.

You'll get elemental attacks that attach to your Blades of Chaos from specific gods, and these are tied to the directional pad, so you can actually switch elements mid combo, much like you could switch weapons mid combo in DmC. Depending on which element you use to kill will result in different orb drops. Ares' fire will yield more red orbs, Poseidon's ice will yield blue orbs (magic), and Zeus' lightning yields yellow orbs (rage).

The promptless juggernaut fights are awesome though.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:19:29 AM PDT
EggNogJam says:
I played a couple hours last night.
Good - Combat is still tight; new blade powers (fire, ice) grant new moves; feels more like an "adventure" a la GoW 2
Not so good - Losing sight of Kratos when the camera pulls out, which doesn't happen often, but when it does it's definitely a problem; the parry mechanic; not much in the way of story so far, but I am only a couple hours in

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:40:30 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
I'm far enough into SP to have 3 of the elements - just missing whatever Hades will give me .... it's my first GOW game, so is fresh for me & thus far, I'm pretty impressed ... really like the cut scenes, the battles are engaging - the camera that pans so far away at times can be difficult - but it doesn't happen often ... I just keep those blades going even when I can't really see who I am & hope for the best ...

tried the quick match option for MP & it cycled me through a bunch of modes ... I had the Hammer, which I will change for the next MP bout - I felt slow with it ... I liked what I played of the MP, but died too much ... all of it was me against everyone else - didn't get to the 4 vs 4 mode that the demo provided - which I really liked ...

I found playing with the headset on made the experience much more dynamic than just the tv audio ... if Sony sends me the codes for the CE, I'll be quite pleased - as my set only came with the codes for a standard edition... disappointing. the base of the Kratos statue is flimsy, but the figure itself is better ...

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:45:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 9, 2013 12:30:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:34:01 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
I think it would be pretty fair to say GOW:A offers something new to the franchise - MP for example ... not sure why one would need to call the game a "joke" ... I mean if the remake of a handheld game for a console - MH3U isn't a joke, how is this take on the GOW series ? I guess posts like this are why the fanboy / console bs continues ...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:37:33 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
nice to hear your first encounter with GoW is overall pretty good. i've played 1, 2, and 3 and enjoyed them a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:38:42 AM PDT
sonymites??...its a "game impression" discussion.....why bring some fanboy argument in here?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:40:47 AM PDT
Because it's Holli and don't feed the trolls.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:44:47 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
possibly, b/c this will be my 1st run with the franchise, it does seem pretty epic in scope ... I have the 2 PSP games & the GOW 1 & 2 disc - but had yet to take the plunge ... since this is a prequel, I thought I'd start with it & then get to the others ... I like the allegiance aspect to the MP, making armor & weapon choices, & there seem to be lots of modes for it ... every time a match finished yesterday, off to some other mode we were ... it was pretty good overall - other than the sad but true fact, I just die ... lol when you get the game, we must do some MP together ...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:46:49 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
i almost caved and got the CE like you did, but i decided to wait only because i have a trillion games to play. whenever i see a ~$20 price drop, i'll pick it up and play with you.

i still need that PSABR trophy, hint hint

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:54:10 AM PDT
saskamazon says:
me too ! re: the friendly Vita match ... the only thing I'm missing for my Platinum ... would be great to finally get that .... yeah, I thought I read awhile back that you were in for the CE - but yes, can see waiting, as there is always a drop / sale to be had ... since you're a veteran GOW player, I'll use this time to get some experience & be a better MP player - can always hope anyway - ... I'll be on PSN a fair bit this weekend ... just message & I'll get the Vita going ... if it works for your schedule ... :-) I too have a massive backlog, but for some strange reason, I did want the seasons pass for this game ... the DLC adds up, & it does include the pass for Zeus & Isaac All Stars - save $10 right there. I'll be buying the new stage next week too ...

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:54:12 AM PDT
I played God of War last night. I played about an hour and a half of SP which was awesome as I expected and little changes which look really cool like smashing the orb chests instead of pulling them open. I also feel like sound is better hits and things smashing have a little more bass and just sound better.

The MP is pretty good I feel like they have tweeked some things like if you go to parry and the person doesnt strike you are open for a few seconds and cannot defend your self which keeps people from just spamming parry and waiting for you to try and hit them. The controls are different than SP for stuff so its gonna take some getting used to.

The Co-Op was pretty fun but my partner and I had no idea what we were doing. I didnt like that if one person dies it was over. In Co-Op I like trying to finish the current wave solo than have your partner respawn if you can get the the rest of the wave by yourself.

I could see myself playing this MP a lot it is pretty unique. Seems like lots of stuff to unlock. Oh and the 300 King Leonidas skin is pretty awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:58:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 8:58:42 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
"it does include the pass for Zeus & Isaac All Stars"

i'm jealous. i really want to play as Zeus and Isaac.

i will be on my Vita this weekend and i will get on PSABR to play
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions