Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What are your preferred difficulty settings when gaming???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2012 11:15:52 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
Since we're all talking various video games, I figured i'd ask you on which difficulty settings do you guys have your games set on when playing??

I ask this question, is because after watching and studying Wolfwood824's No-Damage run on the Impossible Difficulty for "Dead Space", I can best that game on Hard (thanks to a few helpful glitches that makes credits re-spawn). Even when playing "Doom 3"/"RoE" on the Veteran Difficulty isn't too bad if you take it slow, which can often allow you to do both spawn-kills and take very little to no damage in certain levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:16:51 AM PDT
Depends on the game and how much time I want to devote to it.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:17:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 11:17:27 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Easy for shooters, normal for everything else.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:19:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 11:20:09 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Easy for everything. I don't have time to devote to learning every single game I play in and out. It would have to be a pretty special game or a shump for me to actually replay it on a harder difficulty. I'll still play shumps on the hardest setting right out of the gate. I think that I play shumps better when there are thousands of bullets on screen instead of just a few. It's more tense and I'm more focused.

Metal Gear and Elder Scrolls are exceptions as I like to go through them on the hardest settings because I know that I will replay them 10's of times.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:19:56 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Normal for everything. Hard for replays usually.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:21:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 11:22:46 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
Normal for most things. Hard for God of War games.

I used to play games on hard for the cheevos, but got tired of being frustrated by things I was supposed be having fun with. Now I barely pay any attention to trophies/cheevos, and am a happier gamer for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:22:02 AM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
Pretty much always been Normal from when I first started gaming. Now with the introduction of Trophies/Achievements, I'll often try out games on Hard. If I find the game is difficult to the point of frustration and is a detriment to my enjoyment of the game, I switch back to Normal. I feel no need to "conquer" the games or have bragging rights, so I'll only ever go above Normal for the digital doggie treats, and those aren't worth suffering through an un-fun experience for me to get.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:23:29 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
Normal on almost everything. Sometimes, I set games to "hard" on subsequent playthroughs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:23:31 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Beating Dark Souls and getting to NG++++ is all the bragging rights I need this gen. Beating that game makes me feel better about playing regular games on easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:23:34 AM PDT
Fox, what are 'shumps'?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:24:16 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Shoot em ups
Bullet Hell games

Games like EspGaluda, Ikaruga, Bug Princess, DeathSmiles, Gradius, R-Type, etc.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:25:26 AM PDT
GAR says:
Normal mostly, I'll change to a different difficulty depending on if it is kicking my a$$ or I'm kicking it's a$$

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:26:36 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Another reason that I won't play on harder difficulties is because most games don't allow the player to change on the fly. Like God of War games. It always sucks when I get to a particularly frustrating part and I can't do anything about it but restart the entire game. By time I reach that point, I'm ready to just give up on the game all together however.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:27:42 AM PDT
Jon says:
Depends on the game and my experience with the series.
Dishonored I played through on Normal as I'd rather experience the game than replay sections due to mistakes on my part.
Call of Duty I'll play through on hardest mode as I know the game, controls, tactics.
I usually play sequels on hard as well.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:28:47 AM PDT
Prankster says:
If there's a trophy/achievement, I will go for the hard difficulty but if at any point during the game, I am getting frustrated or feel it's not worth it, I tone it down immediately. If there's no trophy, I will play it on easy. I don't even go for normal then because I just love experiencing the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:29:39 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
or if you're aiming for specific achievements. Like for example, you can beat the Predator campaign on "AvP 2010" on the Nightmare Difficulty rather easily, because you can just speedrun through certain sections (although that Pred-Alien boss fight was quite intense on this particular setting.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:32:40 AM PDT
K Archer says:
It very much depends on the game. I want to play on the difficulty that isn't too easy or too hard...I want to to be challenging, but not too much so (unless I like the game and want a challenge, including for trophies...I have to beat the game on my preferred difficulty first)

Its hard to say what that difficulty is; each game has its own scale. One game I may only be able to play on normal, another I have a good time on the hardest.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:34:29 AM PDT
Mrs. User says:
Normal, and then hard for later playthroughs. Shooters, though, sometimes I have to move down to easy.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:35:15 AM PDT
jSten says:
Difficulty set to "arcade".

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 11:35:54 AM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Normal-schmormal for everything

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:44:45 AM PDT
I thought that's what you meant...I've always known them as shmups.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:48:56 AM PDT
Marvelous says:
This.

I always play every game on normal first time around. Then Hard followed by whatever other crazy difficulty they have.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 12:09:28 PM PDT
I usually start on normal but what is considered normal difficulty fluctuates wildly from game to game. Games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss are so easy that the Crushing mode should be the normal setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 12:10:31 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, that word is annoying, so I say shumps.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 12:11:58 PM PDT
Normal, except for rougelikes, which I always play on Easy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Oct 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions