Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

10 Trends That Are Killing Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 129 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 2:20:18 PM PST
Your thoughts? It's an interesting article, to be certain.

http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-trends-that-are-killing-video-games-2.php

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:25:14 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Seems like he had trouble thinking of 10 different things.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:25:52 PM PST
Carlito says:
The thing is nothing is killing video games, should be a short article when you whittle it down to 0. Games will be here a month, 2 years, 10 years, etc from now. Games are fine, they will be fine, don't have time for articles based in hyperbole.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:35:29 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2012 2:41:08 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:36:15 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I stopped at "Nobody Can Swim".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:36:34 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Yeah, the title should be "10 things about some games that are kind of annoying to me."

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:41:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
Agree that it's a problem:
Trying to be movies
Sexism
Terrible scripts

More a problem in terms of current practice than in theory:
DRM
Annualized Franchises

I don't think these are really a problem:
Spinoffs
Lack of Swimming
Day 1 Patches
Motion Controls
Day 1 DLC

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:42:24 PM PST
Carlito says:
That I can get on board with

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:46:11 PM PST
DVvM I'd like to submit a motion to move "motion control" from category 3 to category 2, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:48:39 PM PST
Sounds like just a bunch of subjective gripes from an idealistic, entitled gamer. While some of these trends are things that bug gamers, there's no evidence that they are 'killing' video games (except for the author's subjective point of view). For example;

-Sexism is rampant along all lines of entertainment media for the very reason that as long as we humans enjoy sex, sex will sell. It has done nothing to prevent video games being assimilated into main stream. As a matter of fact, women are more often portrayed (in my opinion) as being more powerful and independent in modern video games.

-The author complains about 'creative stagnation.' This complaint has existed since the 90's, and the video game industry has only grown since then. Gamers keep buying the games, so the companies figure, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." - like the author says, "if we didn't support some of the developers' shadier practises, then they wouldn't continue to profit from them in the first place."

The video game industry as a whole is more successful than it was 10 or 20 years ago. There is a lot more artistic variety. Gamers have more gaming choices than ever before.

So in what sense are video games being "killed?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:50:35 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Like we'd know, it seems you're too smart to not have missed it.
Please elaborate a big wall of text without replying to already established points and THEN proceed to dismiss someone and their work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:53:26 PM PST
Shanghaied says:
I'd submit that his "wall of text" was better established than the defecation that was on that list.

People who hold the sort of entitled expectations that hipster gargler put into that list need to be slapped.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:54:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:01:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:04:32 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I'm not sure if I want my games to make sense when it comes to healing. I mean, they'd have to stop at a doctor somewhere to dig out all the bullets after every encounter. And that'd get expensive.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:02:17 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:02:37 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, it depends on how we look at motion controls. If you're talking, for example, games on the Vita where the devs are like "well we've got two touchscreens, and a gyroscope so we're going to make sure to work them in there somehow!" then that's absolutely a problem of practice (how devs choose to use the technology) rather than a problem with the technology itself.

But if we're talking about motion controls existing, and certain games making use of them, then that's hardly a problem at all. Some games are fun almost exclusively because of their use of motion controls (e.g. Boom Blox, Dance Central), and I don't think "bad motion controlled games exist" (e.g. Move Heroes, Steel Battalion) is really an indictment of motion controls themselves any more than "terrible shooters exist" (e.g. BlOps: Declassified, Darkest of Days, Call of Juarez: the Cartel) means we should put an end to the genre entirely.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:03:30 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
The 10 things killing games are the extra 10 dollars. Games go back to 50 bucks dang it!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:03:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:04:52 PM PST
"Sexism is rampant along all lines of entertainment media for the very reason that as long as we humans enjoy sex, sex will sell. It has done nothing to prevent video games being assimilated into main stream."

Although I agree it doesn't "kill" games, the rampant sexism does mar the reputation of video games amongst the female population, and gaming will never truly join the ranks of movies, books, and television until it manages to be a form of entertainment that is easily approachable by all folks regardless of gender. Not that we'll ever see sexism completely driven out (it's still very much present in the three other mediums I mentioned), but at it's current level it's practically toxic.

I agree with your other points, though (especially in regards to his "creative stagnation" complaint).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:04:00 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think lacking a jump button in a realistic game is fine. You should be able to climb over certain obstacles, but you shouldn't be able to jump a useful distance in the air if you're, say, heavily loaded down with gear.

When you think about it, it's pretty weird that Mario can jump several times his height.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:10:28 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
Not really, if you take into consideration that Mario eats shrooms. All of his games are just shroom trips that he took after fighting with his girlfriend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:20:05 PM PST

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:20:53 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:25:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 3:25:38 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Really, though. they're equally unrealistic. They just suit the gameplay in very different ways. I can like either just as much, depending on how the combat/AI function.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 3:26:17 PM PST
d00med?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:26:33 PM PST
"But if we're talking about motion controls existing, and certain games making use of them, then that's hardly a problem at all."

Fair enough. Maybe it's merely a matter of oversimplificaton. He should have said "motion controls being aggressively shoe-horned into as many games as possible" as being a factor that's harming video games.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions