Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Your Top Underrated Games of this Generation?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 62 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:59:15 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Alpha Protocol
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Enslaved
Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires
Nier
Two Worlds 2

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:25:11 PM PST
I went through Metacritic on some of these to find games that were truly underrated:

Nier has a 68 metascore (what?!) and I think definitely belongs here

The Saboteur clocks in at 76, which isn't exactly a bomb, but it's both an excellent sandbox game and an attempt to do something other than crime in a cool artistic style.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Sage is at 72 which can only be the result of people applying their Ego Draconis bias to the re-release. The excellent DKS is easily one of the best third person RPGs of this generation. Especially when you compare that huge, deep game to the high scoring Fable III.

Alpha Protocol has an absolutely mindblowing 63...what?! The game has a few wonky control issues, but it also has great characters, a truly nonlinear story, and is probably one of the most wrongly-hated games ever made.

Other games weren't as hated as we thought. The fun shooter Rage scored a solid 80 score. It was a great shooter, but it did have problems with the ending and it wasn't quite as revolutionary as it could have been. Kingdoms of Amalur also scored a 80 (maybe a little underrated, but not criminally so).

Dragon Age 2 scored a solid 82 on the Pc version. Is that too low? Well, maybe for a brand new IP boasting the same level of sophistication as DA2, but considering Origins (which most people consider superior) scored a 91, I think they docked it ten points for taking an unusual step backwards for Bioware. A penalty stroke, if you will.

Mass Effect 3 isn't overrated, it enjoys universal acclaim with critics and gamers alike (yes, even those that hated the ending).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:32:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 1:32:37 PM PST
Wow...PCG gave DA2 a 94. Is that the highest?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:43:34 PM PST
Nah, the Escapist gave it a perfect hundo. They really loved the story-telling and the improved graphical prowess of the engine. Fair enough, not many people have the balls to tell a tragic story in a major RPG franchise.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:55:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 1:57:19 PM PST
Sonic Generations
The Witcher
Mirror's Edge
Dead Island
PayDay: The Heist
Sleeping Dogs
Rayman: Origins
Faster Than Light
Duke Nukem Forever
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:56:16 PM PST
Singularity
Metro 2033
Bulletstorm
Duke Nukem Forever
Alpha Protocol
Rage
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Army Of Two
Wet

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:47:36 PM PST
Mirror's Edge
Onechanbara
Earth Defense Force 2017
Splatterhouse
Conan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 5:08:04 PM PST
Dan says:
I agree The saboteur its very fun, it's a shame there will never be a sequel. Another awesome game I never heard much about is Just Cause 2

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:15:46 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
All Vita games.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:19:03 PM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Call of Doodz Black Ops 2

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 8:05:37 PM PST
Yes! Just Cause 2 was totally awesome!!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:45:27 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Dark Sector.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:50:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 5:51:41 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Resonance of Fate
Resident Evil 6
Resistance 2
The Last Story

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:51:26 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Heavy Rain.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:58:52 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Deathsmiles
Akai Katana
DoDonPachi Res
Under Defeat HD
LittleBigPlanet Karting
The Last Story
NIER
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Sonic Generations

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:03:57 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:09:24 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Dude, Metroid: Other M was praised and hyped like crazy before it came out. It got tons of stellar reviews, and you could tell that a lot of that was just because it was hard for people to say a Metroid game was bad.

That's true about JRPGs, I guess, but Metroid is not a freaking JRPG. Samus is a cold as ice bounty hunter that the entire known universe is terrified of, for her to suddenly forget that, start taking orders like a dog and acting like a teenager...yeah, that is pretty much the worst thing ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:15:23 AM PST
I don't play JRPGs either...except the Souls games because they are bad ass.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:18:20 AM PST
My biggest fear with Metroid is that Other M will become part of the story of Samus and future titles will need to incorperate that version of her into their games.

I'd love for the next game to just go "Yup, that never happened" and goes back to being the ultimate BA of the universe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:21:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 7:21:29 AM PST
It was part of the story before Other M, though. All of those characters were in Metroid: Fusion. That includes the storyline with Adam.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:23:12 AM PST
There is nothing in any Metroid game that portrays Samus as this "ultimate bada**". That characterization was done by the fans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:28:20 AM PST
She's a bounty hunter and all on her onesies has gone on some epic adventures and straight up murdered tons of crazy monsters without uttering a word. Perhaps some chracterization is going on by fans but she is closer to ultimate Bada** than whatever the F Other M was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:31:49 AM PST
Mario - He's a plumber and all on his onesies has gone on some epic adventures and straight up murdered tons of crazy monsters without uttering a word.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:33:48 AM PST
And I wouldn't want to F with Mario
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D1Y7HP6eX8U/S74LR55TiCI/AAAAAAAAAE0/ik2bxLV3YoA/s1600/Badass_Super_Mario.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:34:52 AM PST
Actually, that's amazing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 1765 36 seconds ago
First game you ever beat 19 5 minutes ago
OT: Anyone else ever leave a job because of how expected to act? 37 42 minutes ago
Gamefly has South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3, 360) used for a smooth $14.99/free shipping 4 51 minutes ago
OT: iTunes and iPhone force people to own dad-rock band U2 32 55 minutes ago
Secret of Monkey Island games $2.49 each on XBL; Tales of Vesparia on sale; *free* Halo Reach up now 1 56 minutes ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 772 1 hour ago
So yeah I see it's all about repetition 15 1 hour ago
Attn: VGF Community, Stop Necrobumping Threads! 22 1 hour ago
Perfect Games 220 1 hour ago
OT: So This Exists-Heart Attack Grille (9,000 Calorie Burger!) 29 1 hour ago
How do you act when you video game rage? 80 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions