Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 501-525 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:04:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:06:59 PM PST
Banner says:
Why do you think he needed to do that? Allow his son to be brutally murdered, that is. Why wouldn't he... Oh I don't know....just forgive us?

Sorry if you covered this. I skimmed.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:10:56 PM PST
Banner says:
Hey, have any of you watched those atheist cartoon clip thingys on YouTube? Hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:11:05 PM PST
He didn't. It's fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:11:47 PM PST
atheist cartoon clip thingies?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:13:23 PM PST
Banner says:
Hold on I'll link

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:15:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:16:23 PM PST
Banner says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfFAYn8bgc

That ones long but funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pwwvBygoFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVbnciQYMiM

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:25:18 PM PST
Sweet. I'll check them out when I get home. I get off work in a half hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:26:11 PM PST
Banner says:
Anyway, I still thoroughly enjoy your comments Guest. Impressive that you can do that from whichever position you take.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:28:57 PM PST
Danke, Banner. It's good to see you around again. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:30:09 PM PST
Banner says:
Thanks! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:08:44 PM PST
"The morals in the Bible."

Okay...so morals are absolute. But God Himself can order people to go against them. Don't you think that sounds crazy? Fanatical, even? It's not okay to kill innocent kids (or anyone) because your deity says so. You know who else believes that it's okay to kill innocents, even children, in the name of God? I'll give you a hint: our country is currently engaged in a war with people who believe that.

"But what exactly makes hurting people wrong? Why is that a bad thing?"

This cannot be a serious question.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:10:28 PM PST
"So to answer your rhetorical question - the alternative viable moral authority is the Bible."

Oh snap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:12:51 PM PST
"Owning a slave is not immoral. The method of acquiring a slave could be immoral. But if the charge was that they owned a slave, then I don't think they did anything wrong."

I have to say it: Poe's Law.

Or do you honestly believe this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:13:35 PM PST
He calls those who don't believe as he does "so-called Christians."

So yeah, he probably thinks he has been divinely inspired.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:15:59 PM PST
"Again, capital punishment is not murder, because there is moral authority there."

Well, I understand your point, though I would argue it depends on the crime. For example, capital punishment for the crime of, say, homosexuality is, in fact, murder.

"Same if God gives the moral authority to do it."

A lot of people have claimed moral authority from their god or gods to murder people. What makes yours the right one?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:17:38 PM PST
"Simply asserting that something is wrong does not make it so."

Same with asserting that something (like God Himself telling people to slaughter entire civilizations) is right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:19:22 PM PST
But what is unnecessary? What is your moral grounding (if not the Bible) to say what is unjust?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:21:20 PM PST
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:22:04 PM PST
Goddamn, he's worse than Romney!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:21:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:24:33 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Obviously I don't know exactly why God deemed this the answer to our salvation, but it is mentioned that he is the High Priest that is able to truly cleanse our sins forever (as opposed to the earthly high priests of the Jews who required animal sacrifice and offerings to temporarily forgive sins) and since he sacrificed his pure blood for our sake, we show our faithfulness in the greatest sacrifice God could give us (showing us what we're worth to Him).

"Okay...so morals are absolute. But God Himself can order people to go against them. Don't you think that sounds crazy? Fanatical, even? It's not okay to kill innocent kids (or anyone) because your deity says so. You know who else believes that it's okay to kill innocents, even children, in the name of God? I'll give you a hint: our country is currently engaged in a war with people who believe that."

As I've already explained elsewhere, He didn't order anybody to go against His morals.

"This cannot be a serious question."

The fact that you can even say this is very telling. Do you have ANY reason apart from popular opinion or your own opinion to believe that harming others is wrong? Animals harm each other all the time. Is it wrong for a lion to kill another animal for food? If not, what makes us different in your mind?

"He calls those who don't believe as he does "so-called Christians."

So yeah, he probably thinks he has been divinely inspired."

I don't believe I'm divinely inspired, but it's pretty clear that if somebody calling themselves a Christian ends believing contrary to what the Bible clearly says, they either aren't Christians or they are just not well read. Christians, by definition, believe what the Bible says. There can be disagreement between Christians, but their morals come from the Bible if they are actually Christians. That's just obvious.

"A lot of people have claimed moral authority from their god or gods to murder people. What makes yours the right one?"

I'm not even trying to argue that my God is the true God (although we can go down that road if you wish). My point is that you have presented zero evidence as to why the Bible is morally wrong about anything. You repeatedly assert that it is, and say "This can't be a serious question." But I see no evidence. We've seen the argument that morals come from the time we live in, in which case harming people is clearly morally RIGHT in some countries because the majority of people there believe it's right. Obviously I disagree with this rational as it makes morals meaningless apart from circumstances. So what's your reasoning?

"Same with asserting that something (like God Himself telling people to slaughter entire civilizations) is right."

Agreed, but I'm not arguing that it was right except from the context of the Bible itself. Assuming the Bible is true, there is no moral problem in what God had the Israelites do (because God is the moral authority according to the Bible). But I'm not trying to convince you that the Bible is true. I am merely trying to get you to explain WHY the Bible is morally wrong. You have yet to give me any evidence of this.

"But what is unnecessary? What is your moral grounding (if not the Bible) to say what is unjust?"

This is my point. What is the moral source for all of these attacks on the teachings of the Bible? I'm not arguing that the Bible is correct. I am merely arguing that the Bible is consistent with itself. But I do expect EVIDENCE from somebody who makes such absolute claims of the error of the Bible.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:31:21 PM PST
AndrewA says:
So did we learn anything from this thread yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:36:11 PM PST
That talking about religion on the internet always ends up a shit storm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:44:26 PM PST
Banner says:
You really don't see the contradictions in the Bible regarding God's nature? The changes in the law? Aka morals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:57:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:57:23 PM PST
These days...? Gut check. I admit it. It's flimsy, but *shrug* I'm still working it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:58:58 PM PST
Banner says:
Exactly.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions