Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Supreme Court to hear two gay marriage cases next year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 527 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:56:24 AM PST
Nightmare says:
No, you've lost the message. Yes, I asked a ridiculous question. But Soulshine made an equally ridiculous claim:

"Anybody against equal rights for all is WRONG and deserves to be ATTACKED.

Source: history"

To say that history is a source for morality is just as ridiculous as my question, which is why I asked it. I'm making the point that history is not a teacher of morality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:57:02 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm confused again. Murderers do have equal rights. Like the right to a fair trial, jury of your peers, all that. States may or may not have capital punishment, but all murderers have the right to appeal.

And comparing gay people to murderers is apt, proves all your points, and removes all sensationalism - great job!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:58:11 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Actually, after a certain sense, history is one of the best sources for determining morality. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20. We can look at our past successes and failures and determine what was right and what was wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:59:01 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Also, murderers still get married.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:01:26 AM PST
One could argue that history is the ONLY source for morality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:02:58 AM PST
5,000$ to me is still a lot, but Not too bad. My sister's wedding was large. something like 100$+ a person, and there was over 100 people there. We were able to save some money since my Sister has a friend who is a DJ, another who was a Photographer, and another who was a baker so the cake was cheap (have you seen the price of wedding cakes? good LORD).

Still though, as it stands. I would rather put the money to better use... Personal opinion though :3

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:03:47 AM PST
I don't understand how Soulshine's claim is ridiculous. Equal rights for all is as American as apple pie. Even murderers. Even though they've given up some of those rights that the rest of us take for granted through their actions, they are still absolutely allowed the right to a fair trial by their peers, and if they are found guilty they are given the right to fair punishment, just like anyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:03:54 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Yes, well someone's got to be fruitful and pop out murderbabies. I don't want them born out of wedlock!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:05:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:16:35 AM PST
"common sense is what somebody generally believes to be true"

This is a decent start, but then you go on to say

"apart from outside environments and circumstances"

Common sense should contain personal truths resulting from practical knowledge gained from firsthand experiences/outside sources. I'm actually baffled as to why you would assume that common sense is void from outside sources when its implementation is entirely dependent upon them. Common sense is a personal realization attained via the culmination of many outside ideas, therefore it is byproduct of our worldly perspectives.

Unless you now postulate that all sense/knowledge is intrinsic within us and cannot be attained from outside sources, then this is a very skewed take on "common sense".

If you disagree that is fine - I just ask that you name one personal instance of common sense which isn't a result of interference from *any* outside sources/circumstances.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:09:03 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Making this a state's issue doesn't seem like it would work to me.

Sometimes when dealing with humans rights issues, you don't let the majority decide - you do what's right, and move on. The majority can be a cruel, selfish bunch.

I know that if it were up to the majority in my state, it would likely be banned. I'm not comfortable with living in a state where it is banned, and I don't think I should have to move to a different state, change jobs + possibly careers, pull my son out of school to have to get new friends and start all over, etc., just so one group of people can judge another group of people based on ignorance.

To paraphrase Office Space: "Why should I have to change? [They're] the one[s] who suck."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:10:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:22:15 AM PST
"To say that history is a source for morality is just as ridiculous as my question"

What do you base your morality on?

If memory serves me right, before you claimed it was the Bible....In the sentence listed above you have just invalidated its importance seeing as how it's writings are a part of history.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:12:04 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Michael Bolton is gay for bad music, that no-talent ass-clown.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:16:44 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
lol - my wife and I quote that part of the movie ALL the time:

Her: "Let's stop at Subway."
Me: "I don't want Subway."
Her: "Why? There's nothing wrong with Subway?"
Me: "There WAS nothing wrong with Subway, until that no-talent a$$-clown started losing weight."

and on, and on, and on......

We have to be careful around our son, though - we quote that part so often, we've had to stop before getting to the a$$-clown part lest he be sent home from pre-school with a note from teacher to stop exposing him to Office Space.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:19:02 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
I hate the people in this country so much.

Example: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/outrage-as-rape-case-judge-tells-victim-if-she-didnt-want-sex-her-body-should-have-just-shut-down-3326182.html

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:20:28 AM PST
Soulshine says:
HA! It would be worth just to hear a preschooler say "no-talent ass-clown."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:24:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:25:05 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

If the people in our government and legal system are going to start making decisions based on biology, maybe we need to have biology degrees be part of the qualifications to reach the Bar.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:25:42 AM PST
I... but... wh...

This is why we have an education system... why are people allowed to get jobs without passing the 3rd grade?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:26:27 AM PST
Nightmare says:
You completely missed the point, which was to show that history is not a guide to morality.

"Actually, after a certain sense, history is one of the best sources for determining morality. Hindsight is, after all, 20/20. We can look at our past successes and failures and determine what was right and what was wrong."

Ok, hindsight is 20/20. I'll give you that. But it only gives you practical lessons, not moral lessons. Sure, we can tell what kind of government works best, and other sorts of things, but we can't decide what is immoral by looking at history. If you can, tell me what your method is.

"I don't understand how Soulshine's claim is ridiculous. Equal rights for all is as American as apple pie. Even murderers. Even though they've given up some of those rights that the rest of us take for granted through their actions, they are still absolutely allowed the right to a fair trial by their peers, and if they are found guilty they are given the right to fair punishment, just like anyone else."

My point was that we imprison or execute murderers, and we don't to other groups. I'm not saying that they are the same by any means, but I am saying that just because you can look back in history doesn't mean you can tell what is right and wrong. Why does history tell you that murder is wrong, but being heterosexual isn't wrong? How can history teach this?

"Unless you now postulate that all sense/knowledge is intrinsic within us and cannot be attained from outside sources, then this is a very skewed take on "common sense".

If you disagree that is fine - I just ask that you name one personal instance of common sense which isn't a result of interference from *any* outside sources/circumstances."

I see your point. Maybe my definition isn't any good after all, because practically speaking my definition would never be applicable. But including environment, circumstances, etc. still leads to a completely subjectivity to common sense, and thus it can't be used as evidence.

"Sometimes when dealing with humans rights issues, you don't let the majority decide - you do what's right, and move on. The majority can be a cruel, selfish bunch."

What makes it right? Why is the majority wrong (assuming it is a majority)?

"What do you base your morality on?

If memory serves me right, before you claimed it was the Bible....In the sentence listed above you have just voided its importance seeing as how it's writings are a part of history."

That's not the same thing. History is just the record of what happened in the past. The Bible gives a specific record of events, including God's teachings on what morality actually is. My belief in the Bible is simply that--belief. But I have a code that I go by to determine what morality is. Everybody else loves to claim that "x" is wrong or cruel, but they don't ever give any evidence of it. They assume it, and then assume that it applies to everybody somehow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:29:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:33:40 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
"Ok, hindsight is 20/20. I'll give you that. But it only gives you practical lessons, not moral lessons. Sure, we can tell what kind of government works best, and other sorts of things, but we can't decide what is immoral by looking at history. If you can, tell me what your method is."

An example right off the top of my head: America looking at 200 years of oppression of the blacks, first in the form of slavery, then in segregation. The country turns around and says, "You know what? Maybe stuff like this is -bad-. Maybe we should give these people equal rights. Heck, maybe interracial marriage won't lead to the downfall of traditional marriage ater all."

You learn right from wrong by reviewing your history. Morality IS right from wrong.

In your past, have you ever made a mistake that really hurt someone, reflected on what you did, and came to the conclusion that what you did was wrong? That's using history to determine morality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:30:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:44:55 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"What makes it right? Why is the majority wrong (assuming it is a majority)?"

For the first part, you're misplacing the burden of proof.

If you're going to restrict a group of people from doing something, it is your responsibility to show why it is wrong, not their responisibility to show why it is right.

For the second part, the majority hasn't shown a good, logical reason for it to be considered wrong. Their case is even further hurt by the fact that they allow certain people to do it and not others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:32:55 AM PST
"Ok, hindsight is 20/20. I'll give you that. But it only gives you practical lessons, not moral lessons. Sure, we can tell what kind of government works best, and other sorts of things, but we can't decide what is immoral by looking at history. If you can, tell me what your method is."

Morality is just a series of things that humans have found make a group of people function together. I mean, the bible is just a collection of ideas that people had that make a society work, you know based on history. I suppose if you assume the world goes back to the garden of Eden 6,000 years ago, and that the ideas in the bible magically appeared out of nowhere, I could see how you would assume that morals and history are separate. But they're just not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:39:31 AM PST
Soulshine says:
You're the one who keeps bringing up morality for some reason. I'm talking about equality. Opponents of equality are always on the wrong side of history.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:41:43 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Well... not always. Those PETA guys still aren't winning out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:43:05 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Hehe. Okay, opponents of equal rights for humans are always on the wrong side of history.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:48:04 AM PST
Anthony says:
dude, this is the guy who refused to condemn slavery. do not engage.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  527
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions