Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Petition on White House website requests permission for Louisiana to secede from the US

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 144 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 10:33:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 10:35:40 PM PST
JinTX says:
@ Shangheid -

You said "Also, if NAFTA is the true culprit here, how do you explain the massive, decade long economic surge the economy experienced during the internet boom in the late 90's? Did manufacturing come to mind then? "

Wow really? The economic surge because of the internet boom? You're forgetting the subsequent economic plunge when that "internet boom" had its bubble burst.

The internet is finally starting to find its balance between pie-in-the-sky get-rich-quick scheming and real-world, value-based use via cloud computing and such, but the so-called boom you're referring to in the 90s was a lot more smoke and mirrors than what we have today, and it did a lot of damage to a lot of people's long-term financial plans.

The blue-collar factory jobs that have been lost do need to be returned to this country. Yes, NAFTA was a mistake. No, those jobs aren't just button-pushing spots in mechanized assembly plants. There are highly skilled jobs that go hand-in-hand with modern factories. Who do you think maintains those robotic assembly lines? Not just the professionals with degrees in robotic science, engineering, and computer science. There are blue-collar technician positions that coincide with every mechanized assembly unit in use. I can forward your inquiries to a family member of mine that works in the field if you care to cure your ignorance.

And for the things that mechanized lines still can't do, that require the adaptability that only a human mind can bring, I for one would rather have an American filling that job than someone south of the border or overseas.

"-inflated pay for (likely union) button pushers in mostly mechanized assembly scenarios, which would skyrocket prices and destroy consumption."

This right here is why you are part of the problem. You talk about commodity prices increasing as a result of bringing back unionized jobs to this country in America-run factories. Basically, you want your sh*t cheap and don't care where it's made or who made it. You think the things you buy that are made in Mexican and Chinese factories are made under ideal work conditions? Think again. You decry "forced labor manufacturing like the Soviets did during the cold war", yet you're willing to buy goods produced in places where people are paid a tiny fraction of our minimum wage to make it. These people are borderline slave labor, but you don't care as long as your prices at the register stay low.

Keep living in your dream world there champ. If the status quo keeps up, sooner or later society will implode and the ignorant fools like you in the world will be chum in the water.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:43:56 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
And the government created the Locus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:41:44 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:33:21 PM PST
N. Berryman says:
No but the DNR did approve for drilling to occur there even though they knew it was unstable so they could get $$$, public saftey be damned.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:22:22 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
Trickle down economics does not work. CEO pay has increased over 500 times since the 80s, middle class wages have remained stagnant or gone down. The economy may be cyclical, but the 00s were horrible, so that is a long ass cycle. That being said it is difficult to gauge how much a president plays in the role of the economy. Reagan did raise taxes 11 times. Bush I had too....But there is some argument that deregulation started under Carter through Bush and onto Obama has really hurt the country, as it has allowed abuses such as Madoof, S and L, and Enron. But it has also increased wealth in some cases. We have to find the right balance between capitalism and regulation.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:07:40 PM PST
K. Wendt says:
People are taking this WAY too seriously if they're buying into this nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:43:48 PM PST
FOGE says:
Obviously! We know the Locust are to blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:08:48 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Why is the government responsible for people's real estate mishaps? I live in a sinkhole area also. You know what I do? I pay for sinkhole insurance like a responsible citizen, I don't b**ch about the government not fixing my personal problems.

Unless, of course, you're implying that the government created the sinkholes, in which case you're probably typing this from a psych ward.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:00:07 PM PST
Mel says:
tantrums, internet haz them

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:55:37 AM PST
N. Berryman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:31:29 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
But, you can't spell succession without success. What could possibli go wrong?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:30:59 AM PST
Lucanus says:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/deport-everyone-signed-petition-withdraw-their-state-united-states-america/dmQl1bXL?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

I urge people to sign the above petition.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:28:01 AM PST
Succession.....that worked out real well before....

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:26:49 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
let em do it, then declare war and see what happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:18:22 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
"trickle down economics"

I know what was trickling down, and it wasn't economics.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:46:31 AM PST
state-countries!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:45:42 AM PST
I like to speak in sweeping generalities on the VGF, makes for more fun. My only source is my economics textbooks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:44:47 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Was that a 90's "boom" or a 90's bubble?

I blame the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:42:59 AM PST
Source? I'm sorry, but I really don't trust anything anybody says in generalities in a politically motivated discussion. I like you, Punk, but I don't trust you not to be party-blind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:41:54 AM PST
YEp.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:41:14 AM PST
"The best economist I know personally (a guy who votes Green, in case you're curious about how his politics affect his point of view) asserted that the boom of the '90s was mostly due to "Reaganomics" finally taking effect,"

Just about every other economist in the world admits "trickle down economics" is a disaster.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:39:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:40:39 AM PST
The best economist I know personally (a guy who votes Green, in case you're curious about how his politics affect his point of view) asserted that the boom of the '90s was mostly due to "Reaganomics" finally taking effect, and liked to point out that the bust of the '00s had been predicted by economists long before Bush Jr. was voted in.

I'm not saying Clinton didn't necessarily encourage the situation, nor that Bush may have hurt it, and I certainly don't know enough specifics to say yes or no, but it's certainly true that the state of the economy often has very little to do with who's currently in the president's seat. The main reason I blame Obama at all for the economy getting worse in his run so far is that bill that pushed for billions of new dollars to be printed with no backing. Because more inflation was what we needed, apparently. Right.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:30:39 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
Have to hand it to the VGF... the random topic jumps are just awesome on a boring morning at work :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:24:45 AM PST
Oh it's ok :3. Furries seem naturally inclined towards Drama (Though I don't know why) So it doesn't surprise me, however to be more or less a bully on that level is just wrong, furry or not. Plus what he did in responce was wrong, the whole thing is wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:19:57 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Sorry, just hyperbole and having some fun! I mean I live in WA, is that really a state? We are so wishy-washy! And our sports teams are sad.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Square Enix announces Shinra Technologies 4 3 minutes ago
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 2442 4 minutes ago
Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer - Whao!!! 69 7 minutes ago
I've just learned of Fantasy Life for 3DS and now I WANT IT! 16 10 minutes ago
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel 27 11 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 342 12 minutes ago
The New 8-Bit Heroes: New NES game and creation documentary 7 13 minutes ago
Final Fantasy XIII preorder on the Humble Store and Steam! 2 30 minutes ago
4 Minutes of Resident Evil Revelations 2 Gameplay - TGS 2014 12 47 minutes ago
Can Destiny be played and enjoyed as a single player game? 59 53 minutes ago
Forza Horizon 2 question 2 56 minutes ago
sunset overdrive is silly, stylish, and incredibly smart 59 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  144
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions