Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Petition on White House website requests permission for Louisiana to secede from the US

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 144 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 8:39:47 AM PST
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-louisiana-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/1wrvtngl

http://www.examiner.com/article/15-states-including-texas-have-filed-a-petition-to-secede-from-the-united-states-1

I don't think they'll get their wish but I'm wondering about the logistics of such a move.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:06:14 AM PST
There are several states that voted in the right to nullify federal law and secede from the union. Whether the federal gov't would actually allow this is a matter of serious conjecture.
I like the spirit of protest though. Would be an interesting turn of events if something like that actually happened.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:17:19 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
The government will not allow a state to secede from the Union as proven by the Civil War. Also, it mostly just pissy Republicans upset that their candidate ran the worst campaign in quite some time. They should be pissed at their own establishment for coughing up a giant, smelly turd.

If Louisiana did secede what would it do economically? After Katrina the Feds spent billions to help it recover, and that would be gone. One more hurricane like that and Louisiana becomes Fallout 3....Wait, that would be cool.

Texas and CA could survive but most states could not without the Federal largesse. Besides if states in the South want to secede, is that really a loss? The Dixiecrats are probably still angry about a little something called the Civil Rights Movement. Southern states get more federal aide than other states, so let them go and spend the money elsewhere. Same goes with the states like the Dakotas and Montana. NY and Oregon have too few signatures, and Florida does not know how to vote, so is that really a loss? The population is dying off as they are so damn old, and in a year they will try to invade Cuba and get pasted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:20:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:27:48 AM PST
Haha, this is just like all those i-diots who scream "I'm moving to Canada if <insert candidate name> gets elected!" every 4 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:40:12 AM PST
"Texas and CA could survive but most states could not without the Federal largesse."

You forget about Wyoming.

http://www.infowars.com/wyoming-introduces-doomsday-bill-to-prepare-for-collapse-of-federal-government/

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:01:50 AM PST
this sounds strangely familiar...

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:07:19 AM PST
saskamazon says:
Quebec has been debating leaving Canada for years ... difficult to do when it would cut us off from portions of the country, to say nothing of needing financial support from the federal government ... would seem odd if provinces / states were actually forming their own nation.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:08:08 AM PST
SuperHiro says:
We should let em go, then just invade them a few months later and retake it.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:24:31 AM PST
saskamazon says:
United we stand, divided we fall ... would not be good to break up a country, people just have to try & work together - majority rules - in terms of democracy ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:26:38 AM PST
This is so utterly stupid and ridiculous. Secede from the union? Really people? Why, because your preferred little candidate didn't win? These people who started these petitions need to get over themselves. As if they can't wait four years to elect someone else. Do they even realize the implications of what they're proposing? All this doomsday talk is really getting out of hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:49:42 AM PST
Also difficult when you consider that it has historically been the French speaking residents seeking secession. Given as how that splits the populace by about 50%, I cant see how that would ever happen even though it comes up every few years for as long as I can remember.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:56:26 AM PST
So, some of our states are wanting to rage-quit? I really want all of these idiots to leave our country, so if they all move into the same state I personally would have no problem with them leaving. If someone doesn't like America, the get the fudge out already and make room for people who want to take advantage of all of the rights and priveledges that our soldiers have fought and died for. This story comes about on the birthday of my Corps. Makes me sick.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 11:11:30 AM PST
If we swap Louisiana for Puerto Rico, we won't have to buy new flags!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:20:10 AM PST
Technically, they would be leaving the country, lol.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:07:46 PM PST
States crack me up. They complain about "big government" when State government is the most useless entity I can think of. There are two ways to view any problem: a strategic (or "big picture") view which is handled by the feds and a local view which is handled by the city/county government. State government is nothing but a useless holdover from when we were colonies and territories. Just think of how much less complicated our laws and tax codes would be without them!

It really became clear during this last election. The different methods of vote counting and registering, the madness of the electoral college system (a system that almost everyone seems to hate), and the rampant abuse of governors. This may sound like something a "big government" Federalist would say, but think of how much better our system would work if we removed this one layer. Basically we'd be cutting out the middle-man.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:49:03 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
That's awesome: Wyoming! They are landlocked, the US could block trade easily. I guess they have coal, oil and gas....and cowboys. Lots and lots of cowboys.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:50:12 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I guess we have Southerners and Texans on this thread who are upset that I made fun of them....Yes, it would be no loss to the US if you seceded. None.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:52:00 PM PST
I plan on retiring in scenic Wyoming.

If you don't want to ever encounter people, it's ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:04:20 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Or Montana. I have driven through the state a few times: They actually have signs letting you know hours in advance when a McDonald's is coming up, to give you hope.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:10:35 PM PST
This is all about a black president winning the election. Unfortunately we still live in a VERY racist America.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:12:22 PM PST
Montana is actually 48th in the U.S. in population density, with Wyoming 49th and Alaska 50th. Alaska's sort of an outlier since it has such low density because it's huge, not because there aren't reasonable population centers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:14:19 PM PST
I think, honestly, that a lot of people are more upset due to the fact that Obama is a Democrat than due to the fact that Obama is a black man.

I think a lot of people who hate Obama would gladly vote for, for example, Condoleezza Rice who is black *and* a woman.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:17:10 PM PST
I highly doubt that.

It's obvious that many people disagree with Obama on his handling of the many issues America faces, not because he is black.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:32:06 PM PST
Anthony says:
i think a lot of people don't like him due to his policies.

i personally could give a **** less about his ethnicity, i just think he's a horrible president. of course, i'm not all that interested in seceding either, lol.

the only thing a state attempting to do that would accomplish would be a civil war that would weaken us as a whole. there's no way in HELL that the federal government would allow any states to secede.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  144
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions