Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: School Shooting in Connecticut

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 500 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:43:22 PM PST
18 kids and 6 adults died at scene, 2 more children died later

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:44:26 PM PST
I read he was 24, which is still young but easily old enough to have a kid in elementary school.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:45:41 PM PST
Anthony says:
the possible shooters from what i heard was either a 24 year old or a 20 year old.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:46:17 PM PST
+ the shooter = 27 dead.

News people are dumb.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:48:05 PM PST
"I have a pretty good clue, it's because he's a psychopath. Nothing more needs to be said IMO."

He is a psychopath, and no matter how much research we do, and how much we reach out to these people, they will always be here. We can, however, fortify our schools and make sure that certain items are illegal (no one should be able to buy ballistic armor or high explosives, for example). There are things we can do to minimize the damage these crazies can do without turning our country into a prison. We just need to DO them. Right now, we don't do much of anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:54:54 PM PST
See, that's reactive and not going to help as much as being proactive when it comes to mitigating the root cause. Helping prevent people at risk from getting to this point in the first place would do more good than just accepting that they're going to do it and spending more resources on trying to make sure they don't take out as many people at a time.

It's the difference between sterilizing surgical implements to prevent infection and stocking up on antibiotics to treat the "inevitable" infection.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:03:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:54:31 AM PST
Beau says:
The whole gun control debate that's going to result from this tragedy really doesn't matter. In 2008 the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment provided for, and protected, an individual right to own a firearm. It's a civil liberty. So, short of amending the constitution (which won't happen), guns are here to stay.

Besides, this is more than a gun issue. In the 1920's you could go into any hardware store and buy a Thompson sub-machine gun or a BAR (more powerful than any assault rifle); yet there were no people going into schools or stores to kill everyone they could find. We have a HUGE social/moral/ethical problem going on in this country. We've been in steady decline since the 1960's.

Personally, I'm thrilled that gun rights are protected in this country. Responsible gun ownership contributes to personal safety. There are many thousands of cases of homeowners, and other individuals, who use guns to protect themselves and their friends and family; you just never hear about it because guns being a good thing are the antithesis of the media's (and the left's) philosophy.

I find it very ironic that states with tight gun control laws have higher instances of gun violence than do states with laxed gun laws. Gun crimes always seem to be perpetrated in gun-free places (like schools and malls) and in blue states or states with heavy gun control. You never hear of these types of shootings at gun shows, and you rarely hear about them in states with laxed gun laws and armed citizens.

That said, I thought the president's speech was heart-felt. He quoted Psalm 147:3, which is a perfect scripture for this situation. Again, my condolences to all who were involved.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:10:54 PM PST
Mogwai nailed it. Lets get this frame of thinking to be national and things might actually change instead of us seeing similar stories every year and say "Just another psychopath, who's playing this weekend? ".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:14:34 PM PST
Carlito says:
Only one issue with your statement, the violent and prolific crimes commited by citizens using the Tommy Gun was one of the main reasons that lead to the 1934 passage of National Firearms Act...the tommy gun, in essence, is the reason you can't find a tommy gun in a hardware store anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:15:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:15:38 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:17:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:17:55 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I think handguns and hunting rifles are great for people to buy. I am not convinced the general public needs assault rifles/machine guns. Those types of guns serve one purpose and one purpose only, to kill many in a short period of time. I apologize in advance if I offend gun owners, but it is the way I personally feel, correct me where I am wrong and/or missing something. :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:17:32 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Absolutely saddened and appalled by what happened to these innocent lives. People who use this as a political vehicle sicken me.

Hug your kids tonight and tell them you love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:19:25 PM PST
R. TypO says:
It's not offensive, but considering the gunman had two handguns on him, I'm wondering why you would mention assault rifles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:20:10 PM PST
Carlito says:
I'm not a gun owner nor offended ;) But the best and logical answer I've received from a gun advocate in that case is that we have the right to protect ourselves from each other AND our government. While I do agree that thought of the US turning on its people as extremely unlikely, it only takes one leader to prove me wrong. Therefore, those types of guns are protected under that explanation...right or wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:20:41 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would agree with you. Although it sickens me for all the people saying that the shooter should have the same done to him as well. I can completely understand being appalled by this since I am as well but preforming the same act of violence against the person does not solve anything.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral
begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth.
Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate.
Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:20:45 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Just a general thought on guns in general, it wasn't meant to apply to this particular case. As a non-gun owner, I still think Americans have the right to buy handguns and hunting rifles. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:20:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:55:53 AM PST
Beau says:
My friend owns a semi-auto AR-15 which is the civilian version of an M-16. He could easily convert it into full-auto, but he won't. He just owns it because it's fun to shoot.

Plus, once you start going down the "I don't think people should be able to own X type of product..." road, where does it stop?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:22:17 PM PST
waxc3 says:
thanks foge.

i can legally carry yes.
i dont have a concealed permit, but even if i did i couldnt carry on school grounds.

i though back in 2001 i wish they would let us trained teachers carry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:22:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:24:25 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I have heard that as well, but don't personally get it. If the government comes after me they have tanks/planes/drones/etc. Even with a machine gun, I wouldn't really be able to defend myself. Especially if they dropped bombs. Though more than likely if the government really wanted me dead, they would hire a looney to do it, like they did with JFK and Robert. :)

"Plus, once you start going down the "I don't think people should be able to own X type of product..." where does it stop?"

I hear you, I do. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. With any regulation there are always crazy people who want far too much control. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:46:10 PM PST
FOGE says:
Yes i can. Now isn't the time for this discussion though. Now is the time for mourning and prayers.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:49:07 PM PST
They are saying it was not Ryan but his brother. Getting conflicting reports.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:49:45 PM PST
User says:
I've also seen reports that Ryan killed his brother.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:53:45 PM PST
FOGE says:
But he didn't have a bulletproof helmet. They don't want to answer to society. They want to die. They don't want to be wounded.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:54:10 PM PST
"It's the difference between sterilizing surgical implements to prevent infection and stocking up on antibiotics to treat the "inevitable" infection."

That's a good analogy (especially for me, lol) but your analogy betrays your argument in this case. A good physician practices preventative medicine, but they are aware that prevention is ultimately useless without being able to treat ailments that evade detection or, worse, are resistant to the form of prevention.

I say we continue to push the cause of mental health, but we shouldn't ignore the reality that this WILL happen again no matter what we do. We fortify vaults of money, military bases, and server hubs...why not kids? We aren't producing any antibiotics and the bacteria is already in the blood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:55:18 PM PST
Lucanus says:
So if it is going to happen again, how do we minimize the effects? :)
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Reporting junk politics threads does work 3 1 minute ago
LOL: Xbox One S Requires Day One Update to Display 4K Media and Play 4K Blu Ray 4 4 minutes ago
Five Video Game Franchises That Lost Their Way 4 5 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 7183 16 minutes ago
The Most Expensive Video Game Special Editions 13 31 minutes ago
Microsoft exclusive ReCore is superb fun and just what the Xbox One needs 154 40 minutes ago
OT: Brazilian drug lord turns jail cell into luxury suite 0 57 minutes ago
Your Top Ten Favorite Games? 6 57 minutes ago
Name as many crossovers as you would like to see, all media formats if you choose 1 59 minutes ago
OT: Hillary Clinton has escaped prosecution more times than El Chapo 11 1 hour ago
Street Fighter V sold over 1.4 million copies on PS4 and PC 68 1 hour ago
PC Gaming: i5-6600K or i7-6700K? 44 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  500
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions