Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Confirmed: You can play Wii U at work, school or in the operating room. No TV needed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 92 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:33:30 PM PST
Yes. Just use your wireless router on the modem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:47:29 PM PST
I may have too...everyday my profit margin goes down.. No wonder why theyre selling at a loss

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:01:04 PM PST
All my consoles are already running on WiFi and they don't give me any issues. Sometimes the PS3 is a little slow with Netflix if Steam is downloading something but that is because I'm rocking the 40GB model which doesn't have wireless N. The 360 is always smooth when it comes to getting online so I don't really see the issue with this, at least me personally.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:12:27 PM PST
Brad Michael says:
I have my modem and router set up at my TV entertainment center so I can hardwire my console (PS3) and my TV. That way I know I won't have any issues with wireless connectivity. Like it or not, there's always a better chance of a lag or wireless interference than there ever is with a hardwire connection. Personally I'll always take a hardwire over wireless (I think anyone can agree on that) so I'm not sure why they'd omit the option and force people to use an adapter. It's kind of like how Microsoft forced people to buy a 100 dollar wireless adapter with their initial Xbox 360 launch, which people saw as total BS (and it was, everyone can admit to that).

I'll be interested to see the price. If it's less than 15 bucks for the dongle, alright, that's fair. If they make you pay more than 30 dollars, you're better off just buying a wireless router, and for doing that, it's a ripoff IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:15:44 PM PST
I. Flores says:
>I'll be interested to see the price. If it's less than 15 bucks for the dongle, alright, that's fair<

But wait, they're giving you a $2.00 HDMI cable.
They're kind.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:24:14 PM PST
Brad Michael says:
The HDMI doesn't matter to me, I get them free from work. I personally won't be buying a Wii U, but my mom and brother may. Just because I don't have the intent to buy the console doesn't mean I don't care what it does or what it offers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:25:21 PM PST
You're gonna be like a dog with a bone over this one aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:29:13 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Nah, I'm starting to get over it already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:03:40 AM PST
M. Lewis says:
Nintendo used to sell the wired adapter but stopped years ago as they weren't selling many. They were selling them for 19.99 IIRC. However, you can buy knockoffs that work just as well or even many generic USB adapters for less than $10 shipped here on Amazon (you can often find them for less then $5) or on ebay. I've used a knockoff adapter for years on the Wii and never had a problem.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:09:12 AM PST
Soulshine says:
So the only news is there's no ethernet port? I thought we already knew that you could play games on just the tablet controller.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:11:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:20:26 AM PST
So much Flores butthurt in here.

Luckily I have a wireless router so your complaints are null and void.

Since this is a portable unit in itself....Does that make the Wii U better than the PS3 and PS Vita combined? *Gasp*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:19:22 AM PST
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THE PS3! RAAAAAAAGE!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:36:38 AM PST
No mention of playing on the turlet? I'm unconvinced.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:54:32 AM PST
So Nintendo is competing with Nintendo now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:59:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:04:21 AM PST
Keller says:
LOL. The Wii didn't have ethernet either. I mean really, who isn't wireless at this point that cares about the internet? I have been wireless for probably 10 years now. By the by, this is why people 'pick' on you. This is such a non story, it isn't even funny.

On a side note, I really wanted Nintendo to allow the Tablet to be a portable for Wii VC games. I'd love to play Majora's Mask, etc when traveling.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:04:51 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
No ethernet port is disappointing, no doubt, but in no way is it a dealbreaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:08:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:08:43 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:16:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:16:58 AM PST
Keller says:
Honestly I don't get the point. I have no issues with PSN, XBL, Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc all wireless. So..... alright then I suppose. I just find it hard to believe that people who care about online don't already have wireless setup and running. In fact I don't know anybody that doesn't have wireless. My 60 year old parents for God's sake are wireless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:19:43 AM PST
do your 60yr parents play games/MP competitively online?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:23:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:23:58 AM PST
Keller says:
No but I have, wirelessly without a problem. Same goes for millions upon millions of people. What I find odd is all of sudden Sonymites think wireless isn't enough for gaming, yet for 3-4 years they bashed the 360 for not being wireless out of the box... I mean really? LOL. Psst, Douglas this is why people 'pick' on you and Flores. Changing your stance depending on the debate is fanboyish.

Bashing the 360 for not being wireless to then turn around and bash the U for being wireless.... way to be open minded and fair!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:30:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:49:18 AM PST
I was one of them that made the big deal about no Wifi on Xbox.

Let me explain. At the time I had two Xbxs and only one was near the modem. I had to purchase a $60 bridge to get it connected to the network. So Its about charging people and not including it you know like the the PS3 had both Ethernet and Wifi. I can chose to use either the Wifi or Ethernet depending where my gaming system is located. I have my Xbx and [main] PS3 hook up to the modem via Ethernet. Only two of my PS3 which are not near (and dont have powerline) are hooked up Wifi. I didnt have to buy or run a freakin long wire to get my PS3s online because it was not near my modem. Im not changing my stance...lol

there some lag involved playing online with Wifi vs playing with someone who has a very good Ethernet connection that its almost unfair. Wifi is no good to play if you want to have fun but play competitively

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:33:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:33:34 AM PST
Keller says:
You don't have to explain. You attack everything non Sony. First you attack the xbox 360 for not being wifi out of the box, then you attack the U for being wifi out of the box. Fair and balanced as usual. I should have known better than to stop ignoring you. My mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:34:52 AM PST
user22 says:
The difference is that the WiiU's online capability is more of a bonus feature, not something that Nintendo highly touts as a key specification of the hardware. The main specification of the PS3 on the other hand is it's HD capability, yet Sony provides you with an SD cable instead of HDMI or even Component.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:35:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:36:06 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Seems like a reasonable opinion to want the option for both, no? Not that Dougie is a reasonable person, just saying that it's not really contradictory to want a system that features both options.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:37:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:38:40 AM PST
Soulshine says:
When your wireless router is sitting right next to your consoles, it just makes sense to plug them in. Nothing wrong with using wireless, and no reason not to plug in if it is a little faster. I know it's faster to plug in a PS3, but it also depends on how many wireless devices are on the network (my dad had a ton, so plugging in made a major difference for him).

Who knows what the super Wii will be like on wireless? Maybe it won't make a difference at all. But they could have probably slapped an ethernet port in there at a relatively low cost.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions