Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Have you ever got suckered in by hype...only to realize the game was total crap?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 183 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:33:50 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
This is quickly turning into a sacred cow barbecue...

Little Big Planet
Resistance 2
Final Fantasy 13

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:34:07 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
I liked Bayonetta for what it was, though admittedly the dialogue and music was hard to tolerate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:34:13 PM PDT
Sal says:
Really? mass effect worst game ever? How so? I guess to each his own but I always found myself saying "just one more mission." til 4-5am.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:34:15 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Yeah, Bayonetta was anything BUT hollow. I will agree that it SEEMS so on the surface if all you've seen are gameplay videos and all you played was the demo. If you got into the game, it's incredibly deep, dark and serious with a few camp moments thrown in here and there.

And Marvelous, yes, it's so. Not gonna get into it here...I went on about that game for several threads back when it was new, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:35:10 PM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
Yep, Brute Force immediately came to my head, as did Oni. Both were the gap fillers for each respective console's post launch lull to when a couple titles worth a damn were released.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:35:17 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like the first Mass Effect. I personally loved it, but it's not for everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:37:22 PM PDT
Hype made me by FF XIII...my rage still festers

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:37:31 PM PDT
jtshiel says:
I tried it out for about 3 or 4 hours. Got bored. Moved on to a different game in the backlog.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:41:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 1:42:19 PM PDT
MAG
Mass Effect 2
Skyrim
Halo Reach

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:42:43 PM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
I loved Balders Gate 1 & 2.
I loved MDK & MDK 2
I hated SW:KoTOR.
I Really enjoyed Jade Empire.
I Couldn't stand Mass Effect.
I finally bought Mass Effect 2 and have been debating for two weeks on if I should just return it or open it and give it a shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:43:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 1:59:17 PM PDT
Dood, you don't get it. I don't have a problem with you not liking it. I have a problem with you thinking that it's more of a movie than a game. I have a problem with the fact that you think the game takes control away from the player more so than similar games. I have a problem with the fact that you find it to be uninteractive. Why?

First off, all of these conclusions couldn't be further from the truth, especially when compared to other titles in like genres. Secondly, you like games like Gears of War and Halo, and those two franchises are probably even less interactive than Uncharted. All of these titles have you going down a linear path, shooting enemies, etc. but the difference is that when Halo and Gears have a set-piece moment, most of the time it's some sort of on-rails sequence while Uncharted has you retain your control of Nate. That's not even taking Uncharted's environment navigation and puzzles into consideration. This is why you are a hypocrite.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:44:33 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I remember Brute Force riding on the coattails of Halo in some mannet. Not even sure how they positioned that, but I remember it clearly.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:44:40 PM PDT
Technosapien says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:47:41 PM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
I honestly initially thought that Gears of War was going to share the same fate as Brute Force... I was way off on that one.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:50:38 PM PDT
Bobbum Man says:
BRINK.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:55:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 1:57:00 PM PDT
Well... a lot of the answers here don't seem to be "hype" so much as them not agreeing with pretty much everyone's opinion, including trusted friends on here.

For me, a hyped game that disappointed was Dragon Age 2.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:55:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 2:04:29 PM PDT
Movie Monkey says:
Oblivion - Got super bored with it. Makes me scared of Skyrim, so I don't even want to try.
Bioshock - Couldn't get into it, but Infinite might suck me back in...
Child of Eden - Was bored and annoyed
All Halo Games - I'll admit it, I did not like any Halo games. I tried the first one, and played the rest at friends houses, and I just could not stand any of them.

EDIT: Reminded of Dragon Age: Origins. Played about 10 hours before I finally gave up. So bored, and hated the combat system.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:59:23 PM PDT
Tanky John says:
Bioshock - just don't like it
Singularity - bored me to tears
Bayonetta - nothing personally against it, beat em ups aren't my thing

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:00:57 PM PDT
Iso says:
Brink was one I returned immediately without opening. So hyped for that one...

As for games I did not enjoy in comparison to everyone else:

God of War 3
Little Big Planet

Granted I am likely forgetting quite a few here, so do not feel this is some arbitrary anti-Sony tirade. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:03:14 PM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I at least opened Brink and tried it. Then I traded it in the next day. It was utter garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:03:22 PM PDT
Iso says:
Actually, you can add Dragon Age 1 and 2 to that pile for me...

Something just did not work for me...

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:03:40 PM PDT
G-Love says:
The biggest letdown for me was probably FFXIII. I know some people here enjoyed it, but I personally thought it was pretty terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:10:30 PM PDT
FFXIII is, I think, the last game I managed to finish. And I agree, it was waaay overhyped before it came out. It was pretty, I even enjoyed the battles, but it was too linear and didn't really make a lot of sense, story wise.

Also, am I the only one turned off by turning all side quests into missions? The last game in this series that had half decent side quests was FFX, then they all went with that mission thing, and really, the only real reason to want to do them all is for that sense of completion, but they don't really add anything to the actual game itself.

Ok, rambled way more than I meant to there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:13:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 2:14:09 PM PDT
Agreed... sidequests are great... missions are a copout for the lazy developer to pad his game...

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:13:59 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Dragon Age 2 was my game I got suckered into.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Creationist Ken Ham Says Aliens Will Go To Hell So Let's Stop Looking For Them 313 40 seconds ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 3192 1 minute ago
Which platform are you picking up Destiny for? 23 1 minute ago
Anyone watching the last of us live? 4 5 minutes ago
PS4 with Killzone and 1 year Plus for $430 at BB 41 7 minutes ago
10GN: The Last of Us Remastered 168 23 minutes ago
PC is decimating console. 28 32 minutes ago
OT: See 5 minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode 24 45 minutes ago
With PlayStation network, Sony goes back to the future in search of revival 8 51 minutes ago
OT: These Are the 10 Unhappiest Cities in America 77 52 minutes ago
OT: Tusk Official Comic-Con Trailer (2014) - Kevin Smith Horror Comedy HD 4 1 hour ago
What system would Hitler be a fanboy of if he were still alive? 12 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions