Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

When was the first time video game violence shocked you?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 119 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:31:12 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, thats right. I knew there was some legal action against him. He deserved it.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:33:24 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
Duke Nukem for Nintendo 64. I found my way into the secret strip club through the air ducts. Was not expecting that...

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:36:41 AM PST
Alien Fodder says:
When I saw a cinematic trailer for Prototype and saw a guy getting literally cut in half by Alex Mercer. And then much later there was Mortal Kombat.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:15:59 AM PST
For me, I think it was Modern Warfare 2's "airport" scene. That seemed pretty crazy to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:17:48 AM PST
FOGE says:
Remember... No Russian.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:28:15 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
The cutscenes to Twisted Metal Black was the first time I was shocked, and I've been playing gory games for some time before that.

It was the twilight zone type story telling that did it. You can still watch them to this day and say... Damn, That's some F'ed up S.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:29:13 AM PST
JWK says:
Here's how desensitized I've become. I thought the "juggling" (upward sword slash followed by keeping an enemy in the air by firing pistols) in Devil May Cry was pretty shocking in 2001. In 2012, that's so tame I'm surprised Mario doesn't do it.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:29:36 AM PST
Another vote for the spine rip in Mortal Kombat.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:32:36 AM PST
The AvP game that came out like a year ago wasn't that good but the executions were the most gruesome things I've seen in a video game. A predator shoves his hand in a guys back grabs his spine and proceeds to pull his spine out of the hole he just made with the poor guys skull still attached. First time I cringed playing a video game

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:34:40 AM PST
The first time I was truly shocked at video game violence was actually God of War III when you rip off Helios' head.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:35:36 AM PST
G-Money says:
Mortal Kombat..but also Carmeggedon.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:12:19 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Hmm....I guess Condemned 2. GTA: Liberty City Stories I quit playing because of that. Stuff at the very end of the freaking awesome Deadly Premonition is a bit too much for me, though doesn't sour the game as a whole.

Anything earlier? Hmm... Pokemon bothers me, might be one of the earlier games. I guess I should be bothered by those early PS1 deception games? Is that what they were called?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:18:47 AM PST
Kr155 says:
or turning hurculeas' head into hamburger with the Cestus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:22:34 AM PST
Oh yeah, Deception! I remember renting the second one and trapping the child in the bear trap, shooting him with an arrow, and then dropping a boulder on his head, followed by Satan or whatever demon that was congratulating you on the cruelty. Great stuff.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:52:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 9:57:04 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
I dont think i myself have ever been shocked by game violence at least not that i can remember. I was once shocked to see a mom buying God of War 3 for her two kids fighting in a toys r us. You could tell she was a mom that wanted her kids to just shut up and leave her alone. Even the guy at the register was saying "are you sure you want to buy this game you know..." and she said ya whatever its fine.

I thought it was an awesome game and have never thought about blocking any games from kids but that made me think i dont think id let a kid that young play that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:52:28 AM PST
pyroguy says:
I don't know dude, I think the Alien's stealth kill where it shoves its tail through someone's rear-end and exits their mouth was a little bit more gruesome

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:58:00 AM PST
The first time I played Doom and blew up one of those barrels next to one of the little grunt guys and he became a red mass of nastiness on the ground

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:59:42 AM PST
pyroguy says:
or punching one of them to death with the Berserk Pack

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:00:24 AM PST
nice

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:03:24 AM PST
pyroguy says:
the funniest part about that, is when you punch an Imp or zombified soldier after picking up a Berserk Pack and they're on a ledge, their bodies just go almost half-way across the map (this happens quite a bit in "Doom 2" on a few levels)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:33:19 AM PST
Probably Kano's heart-rip in the arcades, but I was a kid so I thought it was rad. The first time violence shocked me in the sense of "I no longer want to play this" was when Kratos kills Helios in God of War 3. In my opinion Santa Monica lost the script there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:35:07 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Ooooh man that was ummm quite intense :-D As opposed to the rest of God of War 3 which is also...quite intense. The whole ****ing game is kind of a giant insane boss battle ending God of War 2 heehee.

Dang I loved that game :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:35:50 AM PST
Wolfy! Where you been?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:39:52 AM PST
Fett986 says:
Pac-Man.... Those ghosts were vicious little buggers!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:42:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:47:25 AM PST
Some of the Manhunt kills. The gurgling sounds and visuals of suffocating a man with a plastic bag, the sawing off of heads with piano wire, the shockingly painful machete executions, just the fact that it took more than one swing with it to decapitate.

Also, the new Splatterhouse kill where Rick shoves his fist up the monsters b-hole, rips out his intestines and strangles him with them was pretty twisted.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions