Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Series that killed their own legacy this generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 139 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:28:45 PM PST
FOGE says:
Haven't played DMC4 so I can't really say. I thought 2 was ok. It just had none of the style of 1 and 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:58:37 PM PST
Joshua C says:
...So you were saying that DMC was killed this generation by a game that you've never played and thus don't know if it was bad enough to kill a franchise?

Disregarding DmC since it's not actually out yet, so if its really THAT BAD has yet to be seen, the only title released this gen is 4.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:23:53 PM PST
DVvM says:
Resident Evil and Final Fantasy strike me as the two franchises who have hurt themselves the most this generation.

Not that Final Fantasy 13 was bad for people who like that sort of thing, exactly, just that it was in part responsible for Final Fantasy games coming off of the "automatic buy" lists for many people (myself included, though I admit FF12 helped in that regard as well.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:22:34 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
I think it woud be more roster updates until the next game is released. My main point I was trying to get at for the every other year release is that it would give the dev more time to add in whatever they are doing. I stopped buying sports games after madden 2006. I almost bought madden 13 on black friday but said meh.

For some odd reason I always think sports games devs are lazy, especially madden. I just feel like they could add more stuff to the game, but have the mindset of "we'll hold off and put that stuff in next year and say it's a great improvement to last years game".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:38:53 AM PST
Joshua C says:
I guess my thought is that the game engine is essentially the same for those games over the span of 3+ years anyway. The major difference between one year and the next is just the roster, and there's no way they devote a large team or a large span of time to developing each title.

Thing is, if they wanted to add amazing new features each year, they could. They choose not to, because it's cheaper to just update the existing product and dump it in a new case every 12 months, and they know people will continue to buy it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:11:47 AM PST
Play Resident Evil 6 on Professional Mode with Agent Hunt Mode turned on and tell me its not Survival Horror.

As for an actual contribution to this topic though, I'd say Guitar Hero, which may be just out of the time range for this generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:52:16 AM PST
Ninja Gaiden

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:04:17 AM PST
KOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:41:41 AM PST
RJMacReady says:
RE 6. They've turned it into just another shooter. Even 4 and 5 still had somewhat unique gameplay, with slower pacing and what not.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:58:56 AM PST
Final Fantasy for sure.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:14:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:15:47 AM PST
pyroguy says:
some can argue that "AvP 2010" may have killed the AVP game series, despite Rebellion and Monolith making the much superior "AvP 1999" and "AvP 2 (2001)". but at the same time, it still has a respectable fanbase and the multi-player servers are going on to this day

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:01:47 AM PST
No but that was when we were going into the arcade more. There were a ton of Street fighter IIs but for the most part it didn't change what we spent, we went in with our same pile of quarters.

With SF4 I was really excited to buy it but I wanted to wait for a price drop. By the time it came down in price I heard about SSF4 so I decided to hold off. Again by the time I was about to buy SSF4 I heard about rumbles about arcade and that's when I just said F this.

You are saying "Hey, don't be surprised, they've been like this since the 90s" while I'm saying "Motherfrakers haven't changed since the 90s, WTF?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:04:40 AM PST
I personally didnt mind the new AVP too much. I thought it was a reasonable game. My fav is still Monolith's AVP2. Might change when Gearbox releases Colonial Marines next year...

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:08:55 AM PST
Nicos says:
Doki Doki Toilet no Birthday. 2 was pretty bad... but the abomination that was DDTNB 3... ugh.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:12:11 AM PST
Dragon Age

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:12:42 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Best Answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:14:52 AM PST
The first game in the series was dead on arrival.

Seriously, though. Godawful dialogue, embarrassing scripting, a weak main character, a completely unlikeable female lead, a rival with zero personality; and on top of that, unforunately slow paced action and frequent absurdly easy but time-consuming puzzles to interrupt what gameplay flow existed. The only thing the game really did right were the boss fights. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it essentially started its genre, but even by late 6th gen standards of that genre, the original DMC isn't good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:17:29 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yes, because everyone I know says it was horrible and then they stopped making games for the series. Thus the series was dead. The new DMC is a reboot to revitalize the franchise. Whether it brings the series back to life, DMC was killed this generation by DMC 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:19:36 AM PST
FOGE says:
Well, thats like... your opinion man. ;)

I do agree the puzzles broke up the gameplay. But the cheesy dialogue was part of the games charm. And Dante was a Bad@$$. Im a huge fan of him. The gameplay, boss fights, and atmosphere were where the game truly shined. I loved it and beat it 3 times.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:25:14 AM PST
Geomancer says:
Another vote for Final Fantasy.

You can actually paint a clear picture of what caused its downfall. Look at what was released once Enix took over Squaresoft (be sure to use JP dates and not US dates). Few realize that Squaresoft was bought by Enix, it was not the other way around. Enix was at least smart enough to realize Square was the bigger name, and why they renamed themselves from Enix to Square-Enix.

Wada has been the death of so many of Squaresoft's good series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:30:00 AM PST
In the first game, Dante was an arrogant, emo wannabe who tried to talk the talk but failed horribly. His only redeeming feature was that he was on strings so the player could use his body to kick things' asses, and that he had a decent physique and white hair so that every girl (and apparently most guys) wanted to shtup him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:32:01 AM PST
Well. You're not quite as insane as the guy I knew who honestly believed the Germans were gearing up to start WWIII, but you're in that same ballpark.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:33:11 AM PST
FOGE says:
Dont think the original Dante was emo. Dont think anyone was emo back then. And he was an anti-hero; he wasnt supposed to have redeemable qualities.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:39:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:40:55 AM PST
Anti-heroes are all about redeemable qualities, it's what makes them heroes and not psychopaths. And in either case you know that's not how I meant that. Also, the emo subculture started back in the eighties or nineties, and I don't know what else to call somebody who tries to act as unaffected as Dante and then immediately goes into ridiculously over the top histrionics the moment something he doesn't like starts happening. Other than maybe "thirteen."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:41:24 AM PST
he just wanted his pizza.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Richard Dawkins: 'immoral' to allow Down's syndrome babies to be born 196 8 minutes ago
As I sit drinking doing comedy all I can say is damn I love being a real dude. 19 15 minutes ago
The Few Months Of exclusivity of Rise of the Tomb Raider could inadvertently end the Xbox One 63 21 minutes ago
Five mysterious Microsoft studios reveal themselves and begin recruiting developers, artists and designers 39 23 minutes ago
OT: What's The Worst Hotel/Motel Etc. You've Ever Stayed In? 9 27 minutes ago
Micro$ofts new slogan: we can run 900p! 6 27 minutes ago
Another Mario? Another Halo? Another Zelda? Another Forza? Another Donkey Kong? Another Gears of War? Another Kirby? Another Fable? When will the onslaught of remakes, rehashes and sequels end from Nintendon't and Micro$oft? 12 31 minutes ago
Congrats Roy! You've been nominated for assclown retard troll of the month!!! 1 34 minutes ago
Telltale's The Walking Dead did storytelling better than The Last of Us 17 1 hour ago
Super Smash Brothers Appreciation Thread 140 1 hour ago
Is badazzps a Flores or Sony Prophet alt? 26 1 hour ago
Clara dies in Watch Dogs 11 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions