Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Hard to swallow: Bloomberg bans food donations to homeless shelters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 82 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:04:09 PM PST
 says:
Me either....*smiles*...See ya*~

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:11:49 PM PST
My wife has been watching Mad Men recently. That's kind of how I picture you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:13:32 PM PST
Well I guess that's kind of a compiment lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:30:19 PM PST
See, and I knew you'd take it as a complement. :-)

I mean that, by the way, about how I picture you in business. I'm obviously not going to comment on your personal life. Some of those characters are frakking scumbags to their families. You don't strike me as that. Though I can picture you giving people copies of Atlas Shrugged.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:14:06 AM PST
How I am in business is slightly paradoxical to how I feel politically but that's a whole other kettle of fish. I've actually never read Atlas Shrugged ... I know the story though ... didn't appeal to me much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:29:42 AM PST
If you know you have a disease or condition that prevents your aafe consumption of certain foods and you're an adult of sound mind, you're obligated to look after your own dietary needs. I somehow doubt the kind of people who work at homeless shelters would be particularly close-mouthed about what they've put in their food, and it wouldn't be out of the question to set up special needs sections/locations for those who have special needs. We cannot practically outlaw everything that might cause harm to people who are capable if monitoring their own daily needs because everything falls into that category. I understand where you're coming from, but making laws to the effect (rather than a simple request) is insane.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:32:08 AM PST
It's a temporary measure due to Sandy. And it's not out of the ordinary across the country in the least even if it's not temporary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:36:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 8:37:20 AM PST
And this:

"We cannot practically outlaw everything that might cause harm to people who are capable if monitoring their own daily needs because everything falls into that category. I understand where you're coming from, but making laws to the effect (rather than a simple request) is insane."

Works fine when you're dealing with everyday folks but when you're dealing with homeless people (truly homeless .. not storm displaced) it's a different ball of wax. It's cruel to say "this might be the only meal you're going to get all day but we packed it full of salt". Even though that ISN'T why these measures were put in place I'm playing devil's advocate on what every one else is arguing rather than the actual reason. Which is fine. A lot of these people don't exactly get regular checkups at the Dr dude. They have no idea what their "daily needs" are other than food and shelter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:39:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 9:11:47 AM PST
 says:
I just read an article that thousands of people are STILL misplaced and without shelter!!! Shades of the Super dome fiasco in New Orleans!!!

73,000 still without poWer in New Jersey...

Food??? It's Sooo yummy to have food to eat!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:41:03 AM PST
I would like to see this article.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:41:31 AM PST
It doesn't matter whether it's out of the ordinary or not. Making laws about what food can be served to mentally capable adults is not only insane, but absolutely wrong. If you want to make suggestions, go ahead. Putting one of the most basic facets of human existence in the hands of anybody other than the person in question (or his guardian if the person cannot be held responsible for himself), however, is not only a waste of time, but a violation of the fundaments of societal structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:41:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 8:42:26 AM PST
 says:
Um why??? Don't you believe me??? YOu're in NY---You don't see folks marching in the streets..demanding action be taken NOW???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:42:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 8:44:12 AM PST
"Making laws about what food can be served to mentally capable adults is not only insane, but absolutely wrong."

Well thankfully this isn't what happened so you can relax. And I'm going to assume you've never dealt with the homeless or volunteered at a shelter or soup kitchen. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's easy to say all this stuff (stuff that has NOTHING REMOTELY to do with what is actually going on) when you've never been there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:42:51 AM PST
I really just wanted to read the article ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:43:20 AM PST
 says:
rofl...ok

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:44:43 AM PST
Lots of people are pissed off and most of them are on Long Island. Most of my family lives there. Believe me I know what's going on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:51:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 8:58:12 AM PST
And what, we should be trying to cater to every possible unknown condition and circumstance that could arise? In that case we have to outlaw everything for these people. We certainly can't allow them to continue living outside of governmental protection, because who knows what diseases they could catch out in the open world. We can't let them interact with each other or anybody else--who knows when somebody will decide to try to bring harm to one of them. It sucks that there are unforeseen harmful circumstances in the world, but there's a point at which government cannot and should not be responsible for interfering in those circumstances, or else we may as well all be locked up in hermetically sealed sterile solitary confinement eating paste with our activities monitored twenty-four/seven. Looking after your own needs is a fundamental human right and part of the basis of all human society.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:51:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 8:52:39 AM PST
 says:
I believe y*o*u*!!! I....just had NO idea of the mass devastation that is STILL going on!!!....I hope that your family has been spared such heartbreak!!!...Has anyone lost their home or belongings???

btw...No one has forgotten....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:53:33 AM PST
lol I think you're just trolling at this point. You're fighting a cause that doesn't exist and ignoring every single thing I typed. Have a good one dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:56:52 AM PST
Look, I get that you're experienced with these sorts of places, and I get that these regulations are by themselves fairly innocuous and all. That doesn't change what putting legal regulations in place regarding what can be fed any general population any less wrong. The goal should be to educate, not to enforce.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:57:48 AM PST
"That doesn't change what putting legal regulations in place regarding what can be fed any general population any less wrong."

That didn't happen. Shut up. Go inform yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:59:37 AM PST
You certainly haven't made any implications to the contrary until now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:02:37 AM PST
Where do you live? You do understand that a hurricane came through NYC right? Why am I still talking to you?

Implications? There was no "law" put in place dude. He asked folks to stop donating food to shelters. No law. No conspiracy. You sound like a lunatic.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:03:42 AM PST
Mogwai, telling someone to "shut up" isn't how you debate. You're trying to shut down opposing views whilst believing you're more intelligent and intellectual.

If you want Bloomberg to tell you what color of Fruit of the Looms to wear, that's your decision, but don't force me to live the same lifestyle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:04:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 9:05:20 AM PST
Yeah yeah .. you guys got me. Even I take the bait sometimes. Good job.

And Uzi .. you'll never get those seconds back that you wasted downvoting me.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions