Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U News - Triple Pack Edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 7:52:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:53:19 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
I'm going to do what I think is a VGF first and post 3 news articles in one.
So here goes, the first story:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/rayman_legends_demo_available_in_wii_u_eshop_on_launch

Rayman Legends Demo Available In Wii U eShop On Launch

We will get to play it after all

Rayman Legends was originally supposed to be a Wii U launch day title but was pushed back to a Q1 2013 release, much to the disappointment of Rayman fans across the globe.

However, North American Wii U owners will still be able to get a little bit of their Rayman fix on launch day as Ubisoft has confirmed that there will be a demo of the game made available on the eShop on the same day the console launches: November 18th, in case you'd somehow forgotten.

There's no news yet on whether or not this demo will be available in the European eShop come November 30th, although we would like to think it will be. There's no information on file size either, which could be an issue for owners of the Basic Wii U bundle.

Will you be looking to download the Rayman Legends demo at launch?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/nintendos_recommended_range_for_gamepad_use_is_conservative

Nintendo's Recommended Range For GamePad Use Is Conservative

Playing it safe

Ever since the GamePad was revealed people have wondered just how far away from your TV you can go with it. Can you get to the next room? The kitchen? The bathroom? The garden shed? So far Nintendo have only confirmed that you can definitely play it within the same room and the official Wii U specs declare a maximum range of up to 26 feet, but it appears that with the right variables you can go much further than that.

It all depends on where you live and what radio frequencies you're surrounded by. For example, in small towns that have a distinct lack of radio frequencies - leaving people unable to listen to the radio or get phone signal - it appears chances of getting way over that 26 foot recommendation are much greater.

Speaking to Polygon, Dino Bekis, senior director of Wireless Connectivity at Broadcom - the company who developed the technology that connects the Wii U will the GamePad - said he wouldn't be surprised if some people can get to a distance over four times the figure given by Nintendo, but understood why the creator of the Wii U was being conservative in its recommendation:

They have to make sure that it will operate in all of these different environments. If you're in an environment that has a lot of different (WI-FI routers) running simultaneously or other interference, you won't get the same range. We've done many multiples of (Nintendo's suggested range), but Nintendo's perspective is that they want to guarantee a flawless user experience.

The distance you can go to depends on many other variables as well - such as the material your house and furniture is made of - so if you're the little pig who built his house from straw you may now point and laugh at your foolish bricklaying friend from down the street.

Bekis also mentioned that the Near Field Communication technology his company implemented into the GamePad is something that could bring a huge amount of opportunities to Wii U. At the moment he appears to be as in the dark as the rest of us as to what ideas Nintendo are cooking up for the technology but he expects them to announce more details about NFC after the console launches, saying everyone should "watch this space".

Would you be disappointed if you couldn't make it into the next room with your GamePad without hindering performance, or are you fine sat in the same room as the Wii U console?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/gamestop_wii_u_software_pre_orders_surpass_one_million

GameStop Wii U Software Pre-Orders Surpass One Million

Mamma mia!

The Wii U is out in just two days time in North America, and you can already smell the excitement in the air. Drunk on the 'new console' fever, it seems that people have been getting a bit anxious thinking they may not secure their console for the holiday season. We reported that Wii U pre-orders were selling out quickly, and at one point, GameStop had closed pre-orders altogether across its US stores.

It comes as no surprise that GameStop has revealed that there are over 1.2 million preorders for Wii U games, alongside sitting on 500,000 consoles allocated for consumers across the nation. The good news is that this puts the software ratio for the Wii U at 2.4 games for each console sold, which is double that of the Wii at launch.

The top preorders for the console are Zombie U, Super Mario Bros. UAssassin's Creed 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

We're really hoping that the Wii U won't experience a shortage of supply like the Wii did at launch, so please tell us you have your pre-orders in already!

Whew! Hardest working poster in the VGF, j/k
Anyway, what are your thoughts on all of the above?

Super Sound Off Below.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:54:06 AM PST
Rayman Legends demo day one? That is great news.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:55:40 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Sounds like a good precedent. Hoping Nintendo will really step it up in the online space this gen. Looks promising.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:08:11 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wow, 26 feet in range seems very reasonable. And with Gamestop having 250k preorders for the U and over 1 million software orders... impressive. So much for the Wii being unpopular, collecting dust and only appealing to soccer moms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:08:20 AM PST
It's going to be weird downloading a demo to a Nintendo home console. I remember downloading the RE:Rev demo to my 3DS and being like "Is this really a Ninty machine? Weird"

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:13:21 AM PST
klopas says:
I went to Gamestop yesterday to fully pay off the Wii U, but I cancelled my orders for NSMBU and ZombiU and put the $10 towards the console. The clerk got upset when I told him that I got each game $12 cheaper online. Not kidding, his whole demeanor changed when I told him that. He mad.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:15:16 AM PST
I am Error says:
I'm betting I will be able to use the gamepad in my upstairs bedroom and maybe even in my garage. There aren't many advantages to small town livin' but I'll take this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:20:47 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I keep going to Gamestop everyday for lunch to play that Rayman demo; I love that music level!

I'm just hoping that the Game Pad works from the console in my bedroom to the living room.

I can't believe that Super Scribblenauts is one of the top pre-ordered games for the Wii U. I wonder if the pre-orders increased a lot when the Nintendo characters were announced to be in it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:22:36 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I remember when Flores/Douglas/Gay/Oskar all said Nintendo was failing... Good times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:25:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:28:56 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Are you drinking the sweet, sweet, nectar of being right? Yeah, so am I.

People like those you mentioned are going to remain pretty silent over the next few days/weeks and that silence is golden.

Ahhhhh, so relaxing....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:27:01 AM PST
Lucanus says:
It tastes like little golden rays of sunshine dipped in rainbows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:35 AM PST
Ice King says:
I didn't know about the Nintendo characters and I just preordered it after reading this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:06:55 AM PST
My thoughts exactly! MORE RAYMAN NAO!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:07:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Amazon is listing it for $50, so if you're getting it from Best Buy or Target, make sure they price match if they are saying $60.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:17:08 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
You can already play the Rayman Legends demo at Game Stop, if they have a Wii U demo unit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:42:14 AM PST
Ice King says:
I got it from Amazon, but thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions