Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Steam trading is awesome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 4:57:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 4:58:05 AM PST
I traded the Vintage Timebreaker mace from Dota 2 last night for Fable 3 and Civ 5: Game of the year. Most people believe the mace is worth around $10-$13. Not bad for receiving 2 games that both retail for $49.99 and go on sale for $12.49 each.

Anyone else use Steam trading often? I have a few more rare items that people were asking for, so I might trade those away as well. After my trade, a friend of mine traded his for two copies of Chivalry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:11:10 AM PST
Admiral55 says:
I'm at work and too lazy to Google, but in a nutshell how does trading work on Steam?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:14:59 AM PST
Yes I was about to ask that too, this is the first i've heard of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:17:26 AM PST
Unactivated games and items from games can be traded with other Steam players. You just start a trade, select the item you want to give and look at what the other person is offering. If the deal looks good you both accept it and go on on your way.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:18:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:18:28 AM PST
EDIT: Ninja'd!

You can trade items found in various valve games such as TF2 hats, Dota 2 cosmetic items, etc. You can also trade any copies of giftable games you have in your inventory. For instance, if you buy a 4 pack of a game, you get one copy for yourself and 3 to gift away. Those 3 gifts can then be traded for other games or in-game items with other players.

All you have to do is right click someone's name in your friends list and request a trade. Then you both add your offer, click the check box to confirm, then click the big button at the bottom of the window to accept the offer.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:24:38 AM PST
I haven't done much with Steam trading myself but last holiday season I gave all of my coal to FlawlessCowboy and he gave me a game for it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:27:57 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I wish there was a way to trade games you have activated on your account. I have a lot that I probably will never play again and they're just sitting there on the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:28:58 AM PST
AaaH i see.

Too bad I have no valve games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:33:36 AM PST
You can trade other games as long as you didn't activate them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:34:39 AM PST
TF 2 is free to play, some people make quite a lot of money through there.

And on a side note I have 3 copies of Dota 2 if anyone wants one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:42:15 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I would like to try it out but I have very little experience with MOBA's. The little experience I have consisted of me getting screamed at by a bunch of angry sweaty basement dwelling nerds who were upset that I wasn't a godlike player that had all the maps and mechanics memorized. Does DOTA 2 do anything to accommodate new players?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:47:41 AM PST
On launch it will. They're instituting a mentor system where a higher ranked player can accumulate rewards for helping out new players and receiving good reviews.

Currently, I don't think anything is in there. You're probably better off starting out with League of Legends, which has many new-player-friendly tools to help people starting out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions