Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Blops 2 Ps3 version looks worse vs the 360 one

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 7:13:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:17:55 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-on-console#comments

It's fair to say that Treyarch's track record in terms of cross-platform conversions is patchy at best, especially evident when the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops are compared directly. Lower frame-rates, lower resolution frame buffers, and PSN's online issues gave the impression that the firm's focus had been directed towards the Xbox 360 version of the game, resulting in a sub-par experience for PS3 owners. So how does Black Ops 2 fare?

As we speak, Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan is poring over all three versions of the game, having bought each at the midnight launch on Tuesday. A complete analysis is in the running for this weekend, but for now, we are in a position to offer some headline pointers on what separates the two console versions based on our captures of the single-player campaign.

First up: rendering resolution. Since the release of Modern Warfare, the Call of Duty engine has always operated in a sub-HD configuration, with Treyarch's Black Ops running at the COD standard 1040x600 with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) on Xbox 360. Alas, this saw a reduction to 960x540 on the PlayStation 3.

Resolution parity returned with Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 3, but this has changed once again with Black Ops 2; native resolution is now 880x720 on Xbox 360 with 2x MSAA. It may sound somewhat on the low side, but kudos to Treyarch here - the upscaling algorithm is remarkably refined when viewed in motion. The overall impression is that this is the crispest COD we've seen on 360. As you'll see in the comparison viewer below, the upscaled image generally compares quite well with the PC version running at native res.

Things aren't quite so impressive on PS3, however. Base resolution does indeed appear to be a very close match, with our pixel count resolving a marginally lower 864x720 image [Updated: Other shots do suggest 880x720 on PS3 too]. It's impossible to overlook the aggressive blur applied over the top of the image though, resulting from what appears to be a new post-process anti-aliasing technique for the studio. The intensity of the filter is so pronounced that, even after close study of numerous shots, it's difficult to pinpoint whether any hardware MSAA is being applied on Sony's platform. A significant amount of detail is lost in the image overall, but on the plus side, edge detection/smoothing does work out better in some scenes.

Black Ops 2 on PS3 suffers from noticeable hit to image quality, where the additional blur comes from Treyarch's choice method of anti-aliasing. As a result, the 360 scales up an 880x720 native resolution alongside 2x MSAA to create a crisper image, while PS3 uses lower precision post processing to mask the jaggies.

We've also run some like-for-like video clips through our frame-rate analysis tools to discern whether or not a disparity in performance still exists between the two console platforms - historically the COD engine has favoured the Xbox 360 - a state of affairs especially evident in Black Ops.

Modern Warfare 3 closed the gap somewhat, but it's safe to say that there is still a noticeable performance difference between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the new game, as you can see by checking out the cut-scene and traversal video below, which seeks to measure frame-rates in areas where the rendering engines are put through a series of nigh-on identical stress tests.

We're still working on campaign gameplay, multiplayer, and stereoscopic 3D analyses but we reckon that the gap between the two console SKUs does close - especially in terms of the all-important online experience (though these issues are somewhat alarming).

In most gameplay areas, PS3 performance generally is significantly closer to the target 60FPS than it was in the first Black Ops, though more intense effects work clearly takes its toll on frame-rate. Curiously we find that the PC version seems to require serious amounts of CPU power - no problem for quad-core systems but the 2.8GHz Pentium G840 powering the £300 Digital Foundry PC seems to have issues running the game at anything above 30FPS, regardless of what graphical settings or resolutions we try, something we'll be taking another look at shortly.

We aim to have our full article complete for the weekend, but in the meantime, we can safely recommend the Xbox 360 version of Black Ops 2 ahead of its Sony equivalent. That said, assuming Treyarch can overcome the freezes and lock-ups impacting the PS3 experience, the gap between the two console versions in terms of performance does narrow if you're mainly invested in the multiplayer side.

"Despite the disparities between the console versions, it's clear that the PS3 work is a step up from Treyarch's efforts on the first Black Ops and the online issues are more of a concern to us right now."

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:23:31 PM PST
no suprise here

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:18:44 PM PST
And here is my troll post for the evening. After playing Halo 4, I have come to the conclusion that the PS3, while theoretically more powerful than the 360, is in practice, exactly equal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:22:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:24:53 PM PST
DVvM says:
This has pretty much been known for a while. The theoretical maximum performance of the PS3 outstrips that of the 360, but in practical terms there's not much of a difference because it's very difficult to organically design a game that makes best use of the PS3's massive parallelism. Generally speaking devs have to work harder to make something look good on the PS3 than the 360, because the PS3's architecture is weird and the GPU is inferior. Third party devs have absolutely no interest in making a game that looks better on one box than the other, they just want to make it look good enough on both boxes that they can sell it to a lot of people. Even first party devs have no interest in making a game that looks as good as theoretically possible, they just want to make a game that looks good.

So while you probably could make a game on the PS3 that requires more horsepower than the 360 could possibly supply, almost nobody is interested in doing so.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:54:45 PM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Activision must be trolling Sony with CoD for Vita and now this.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:54:58 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
I've played both and the 360 version looks way better. Especially in mp.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:50:32 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
It's been like this with 90% of the multiplats this last generation, really no surprise here.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:56:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 9:58:03 PM PST
MoultonHawk says:
I'm a PS3 guy, like the dudes said above no surprise COD always looks a little better on the 360.

90% ? Where did you grab that figure, from a crack on your person ?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:21:25 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Watch out! We've got a badass over here :0

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:28:11 AM PST
PS3 Blops 2 looks like poo. A giant mess of poo. The game is fun when you can play it, but the #1 topic in conversation last night is how crappy the graphics are.

Massive texture pop, too much blur, and poo textures (even when installed) are disappointing at best. The game is fun to play with friends, but it does feel like Treyarch poorly coded the whole thing.

I had the game freeze three times last night. First, it took me 30 minutes to download the Nuketown 2025 map after updating the store. Then, I had to update BO2, and install the textures. Well, by the time I finally got into a match (after three unsuccessful attempts where the host was lost), the game froze on the map loading screen. Not a good start.

After resetting my PS3 and verifying my HDD wasn't corrupt, I started it up again and finally played a few matches. At least the MP is a lot of fun. Looks like a big pile of garbage, but it's serviceable. Can't tell the difference between the two sides though, because the texture pop is often so bad you only get a blob to shoot at when an enemy first rounds a corner. Lots of team kills on HC mode from both sides, probably because of that fact. After the third freeze while loading I gave up and called it a night after 2 hours. A few of the other people I was playing with were freezing as well, so it's not just me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:13:11 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
I had no problems downloading nuketown in about three minutes. The game does look like crap and it's frozen multiple times in mp. It's a shame that this is still happening.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:21:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:22:23 AM PST
Nuketown itself didn't take too long, but the entire process took about a half hour until I was in the game.

I hope they at least patch it so its playable. It'll be fun for awhile at least. I did have a blast trolling everyone last night.

LOTS of campers though, holy crap.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:34:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:36:55 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
Yeah, there are a lot of campers, especially in hardcore Ctf.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:51:21 AM PST
Played BLOPS 2 last night at a friends house.

I'm very happy that I stuck with Halo 4 this time around.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:04:46 AM PST
Waldo says:
Well Halo looks much better on my PS3 than on my XBox! So there!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:06:32 AM PST
Its unfortunate that the game has turned out like this, not that it is a bad games, but the fact that one system seems to be having more issue then another. In the end, the matchmaking will improve (it did with the 1st BO) and will begin to play smoother....it is a shame that it looks so bad. I had thought about picking this up (and may still do it), but I think I'll benefit from waiting a month or so....

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:08:46 AM PST
Waldo says:
I thought I heard they were going to patch Blops 2 for PS3 soon anyways! Nothing new really, all games usually have Day 1 patches anyways! This one just needs another! I'm glad I don't buy games on launch so no biggie for me!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:17:40 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Do you guys like or hate the four team capture point thing cant remember the name of it. I like the idea of four teams for sure but to capture ONE moving capture point seems like that was a mistake; cluster F at the capture point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:25:15 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Almost forgot, is Dawnguard any fun? Oh wait.
Maybe Mass Effect 3? I heard those 20fps and screen tearing are really game changers!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:30:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 5:30:20 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
A multiplat looks and performs worse on the PS3 compared to the 360? No way!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:40:45 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
While yes the game plays at a smooth 60FPS on PS3 MP, it's ridiculously fuzzy, even with the extra texture pack installed.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:45:12 AM PST
Waldo says:
I'm glad I've never seen side by side comparisons in real life on games from PS3 to XBox because I think my multi-plat games(I own many) that I own on my PS3 look fine! Never noticed anything that popped out at me that I actually said, damn that looks horrible!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:50:23 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
when you start up MP on blops 2, treyarch has a message saying that they know there are some issues on the ps3 version. they are working on a patch and hope to have it up soon. hopefully that will fix the MP glitches and freezes

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:51:06 AM PST
I think its because I went from BF3 on PC or CS:GO on PC to Blops on PS3 and am comparing them visually.

Fun game though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:52:35 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
you have been spoiled. i think blops 2 on ps3 looks fine
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions