Automotive Deals HPCC Learn more Amazon Fashion Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I'm not enjoying Dead Space 2 as much as I enjoyed Dead Space

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 6:33:50 AM PST
elect Tron says:
So I got to chapter 10 last night in Dead Space 2. While I'm having a reasonably good time with it, I feel it's a big step down for several reasons:

- The game is not nearly as scary. Like many modern PG-13 horror films, the game seems to rely on jump scares as opposed to implanting a deep feel of horror, like the first game did so well. It feels more like an action game as opposed to an action/horror game.

- The Sprawl is nowhere nearly as intriguing, scary or as well designed as the Ishimura. Big step down in environments here.

- The story is not as good as it was in the first game. Where as the first game has so much mystery, and it's this fear of the unknown that really kicks the suspense up into overdrive, this story feels thrown together. I played Dead Space two years ago, and still remember so many parts of that game vividly. I've been playing Dead Space 2 for just a few days, and I'm already finding the game and the plot to be very forgettable. Something with Issac having hallucinations and a big, evil corporation trying to stop him? Lame. The story in the first game was much, much better.

- The new weapons, with the exception of the proximity mines, are a big let down. A sniper rifle??? Really? The javelin gun sucks too, and this was the one I was looking forward to the most. I'm using the plasma cutter, line gun, and pulse rifle, just like I did in the last game.

Dead Space 2, however, does a few things better than the first game. The graphics and sound have taken a step up, which is pretty cool considering how good the first game still looks and sounds. I really like the way they refined the zero gravity areas, and made telekinesis much easier to use. And being able to respec your guns is nice too.

Overall, I like Dead Space 2 just fine, and I'll finish the game, but I can't help but feel that this game was thrown together. The story feels dialed in, and it seems the devs got lazy with the scares, opting for cheap "GOTCHA!!' scare tactics as opposed to actually making the gamer feel scared constantly. Dead Space 2 is a fine action game, but it feels like a big step down from the first game, which I consider to be a masterpiece.

Anyone else feel the same?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:36:31 AM PST
JWK says:
There are quite a few people who will agree with you, including me. The original Dead Space is one of my favorite games this gen. DS2 isn't quite as good, but it's pretty close.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:36:49 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I enjoyed Dead Space 2 a lot more than the first actually.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:36:55 AM PST
I didn't either. I loved Dead Space 2, don't get me wrong, but it didn't have the same atmosphere as Dead Space 1. I feel exactly the same as Bioshock 1 and 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:41:41 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I've heard it described in a way that I think is pretty accurate - the difference feels the same as the one between Alien and Aliens. Both are fantastic films, they just deliver in different ways with different tones. Beyond the different sense of the horror, though, it felt almost exactly the same to me. They both have about the same number of stand-out, memorable moments for me, and I liked both locales (though, yeah, I'd give Ishimura the edge).

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:42:50 AM PST
I'm close to finishing this game.

I'm also using the cutter, line gun, and pulse rifle.

There are definitely parts of the story that are confusing, but I don't see much difference in terms of environments. I mean, they're all still pretty much cramped hallways with flickering lights. I still feel tense everywhere. The hallucinations make it feel like something could happen at any given moment.

I actually DON'T like the new zero-g stuff. You can't stick to any wall/floor/ceiling like in the first game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:49:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 6:50:10 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I think you've made some good points, and yet, I still really enjoyed DS2 a lot. Maybe I just enjoy a good action game and wasn't needing the same chills, IDK, but I had a really good time with DS2.

Edit: Weapons I used the most: Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and then prolly the Saw Gun (loved it in DS1 as well) or the pulse rifle.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:52:57 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I completely agree in that 2 isn't nearly as scary as the first game, but I think the thing I liked most about it was the new polished graphics, improved gameplay mechanics, and cinematic moments. I think part of the reason 2 isn't as scary is because your character now talks, and our always having interaction with other people, and in the first there was this aloneness feeling.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:56:00 AM PST
elect Tron says:
Good points made by everybody here.

Marvelous - I hadn't thought of this before reading your post, but yeah, I think Isaac talking takes away from some of the scariness. Especially since not only is he now talking, but he even has action movie hero one-liners too.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:20:06 AM PST
Mrs. User says:
I didn't feel nearly as scared in DS2 as I did the first time around, though...except when you return to a certain place...it was traumatic for me lol. But it was more the *memory* of being scared - and I was a little underwhelmed by that portion of the game, actually. Disappointing.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:24:30 AM PST
M. McFly says:
Good read DS2 is the next game i want to add to my backlog, bioshock comparison sounds spot on. I'll play it, have fun with it but it wont have the magic that the first one had, which is rare in most games. Its not a bad thing.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:26:49 AM PST
If I want to play a good horror game with the initials DS I'll play the swamp in Demon's Souls.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:34:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 10:42:17 AM PST
Did anybody else hate the Dead Space 2 marketing campaign? Just because it only strengthened the perception of video games being tailored for adolescent teenagers.

I mean, sure , Dead Space 2 doesn't engage the player on a big intellectual level, but there is no doubt I think the series is more than a teenage gore-fest, despite all the brutal violence in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:36:34 AM PST
yep, you just can't get that original feeling back, it's impossible. Pacing and enemies are well known now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:46:01 AM PST
Mrs. User says:
I thought it was funny, actually. Some of the videos made me feel sorry for those poor moms.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:56:38 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I missed the whole marketing campaign because I was late to the series. I love both games, and I am really exicted about DS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:59:27 AM PST
MJM says:
I totally agree...you summed it up perfectly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Ouch! Gamestop Now Offering $200.00 Trade For PS4 And $50.00 For Xbox One. 28 5 minutes ago
OT: Dozens Killed in Mass Stabbing at Facility for the Disabled in Japan 4 8 minutes ago
Dead Rising is coming to PS4, in addition to Xbox One and PC 8 14 minutes ago
Xbox Games With Gold For August 2016 12 16 minutes ago
More Bad PR For Microsoft. What Caused the Recent Decline of Xbox Hardware Sales? 3 18 minutes ago
Just Demoed PSVR At Best Buy 50 19 minutes ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 232 19 minutes ago
Game Series Besides Gears Of War That Need To End... 2 30 minutes ago
Game sequels that you wanted to see that never made it... 65 51 minutes ago
Whatever Else May Happen, This is Will Always Be the Weekly Gaming Thread for July 25-29, 2016 30 1 hour ago
OT: Obama's half brother is voting for Trump 40 1 hour ago
Neverwinter - PS4 7 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions