Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Why didn't anybody tell me Faster Than Light was so freakin' brutal?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 1:50:58 PM PST
Neah, actually you guys did tell me that. I finally got around to starting it and I was kicking ass all over the sector and scored some decent loot until I decided to warp over to the exit point and complete the mission. Then my ship got boarded, my crew overpowered and I lost my ship.

First. Freaking. Mission.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:51:51 PM PST
Joel H. says:
You didn't ask!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:53:21 PM PST
DVvM says:
People said it was a roguelike (or a roguelikelike) right?

That's one of the things that means.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:54:45 PM PST
:-)

I can't even play on normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:55:25 PM PST
You're a roguelike!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:55:51 PM PST
ChuChu Train says:
Is that game worth getting? Saw it go on sales a few times but didn't bother cuz I'm currently playing a few games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:00:10 PM PST
It's pretty enjoyable...for the first mission which I have yet to pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:01:14 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Because you touch yourself at night.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:04:03 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
The Bombcast guys say it's even pretty brutal on Easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:06:32 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, I mean, I've died in Nethack in the first dozen moves by kicking a door.

It's an important genre convention!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:10:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 2:10:49 PM PST
New high score! 322!

Edit: Highest score: 450.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:42:52 PM PST
Lol just wait until you get to the final boss and see what that guy has in store for you. Or when you're trying to figure out how to earn all the ships (if you look them up it's cheating).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:59:43 PM PST
I got a score of 650 now. I had a playthrough where I actually beat a pretty tough ship but some of my systems caught fire and I lost two crew men trying to put them out. The fires spread too quickly for my remaining crew and the ship was destroyed.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:55:10 PM PST
Got 1,135 on this playthrough and reached sector 5 which unlocked the Engi ship layout.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:11:52 PM PST
Last time I played I had a full crew, including two Rock dudes with fully upgraded attack stat I used as a boarding party. I was fighting a small rebel craft with four crewman, so I beamed them over to take them out. I started taking heavy damage, so I figured I'd yank them back for a second to heal when the jerk put up his cloak. My Rocks were still alive, but he blasted my transporter with an ion cannon or something and I temporarily lost control of it. Fearing the cloak kicking in again, I let loose with an alpha strike.

It was one laser too many and the ship exploded with my boarding party still aboard. I was just speechless. I thought about quitting, but pressed on anyway (only to die gloriously against an elite rebel cruiser on the last map).

Great game. One of my new favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:32:32 PM PST
Here's a quick tip! When dealing with fire send in your Rockmen to handle it (if you have them) or you can open doors leading to the outside of the ship venting out all the air which will in turn put the fire out. This will save your crewmen from having to be in harm's way and allows you to focus on other things while the rooms vent. You can open doors while the game is paused too so when a fire breaks out just pause, open a few doors, and go back to what you were doing.

My highest score was 3,967 with the Engi ship, I think it was the alternative layout though which is focused on drones so you start with one crew member which kind of sucks.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:35:36 PM PST
new Tron says:
Can anyone tell me the benefits to using an ion cannon rather than just shooting the hell out of a ship's systems?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:40:14 PM PST
"you can open doors leading to the outside of the ship venting out all the air which will in turn put the fire out"

This can be a dangerous gambit though. If the enemy knocks out your life support after you vent all your oxygen, you may end up with a ship full of dead people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:49:55 PM PST
I use the ion cannon to knock their shields down and keep certain systems disabled. When it hits the shield it instantly drops it by one level making it easier for your normal weapons to blast through. Once the shields are down I'll target a specific system with my ion cannon (typically shields) to keep them completely disabled. The benefit here is that they can't be repaired and I don't have to completely destroy the system so my other weapons are free to target things like their weapon systems, life support, engine room, or whatever else I deem worthy of my wrath.

@ Evan

That's why I open up specific paths and not a bunch of rooms which aren't needed to vent the air out. The starting ship makes this really easy to do while later ships have fewer exterior doors which means you're running a greater risk. If it's a small fire I'll send in someone to handle it but if it gets too big I open up doors. If it's right by an exterior door I just throw that bad boy open and don't even worry about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:08:49 PM PST
Yeah, I've opened airlocks to purge fires. In that instance my door controls were shot and there was too much fire in that room to try and repair them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:24:47 PM PST
"If it's right by an exterior door I just throw that bad boy open and don't even worry about it."

Yeah, that's safe enough. For some reason 8/10 of my fires are started in life support. Stupid oxygen, why is it so flammable and necessary for life? I'm going to try something else for atmosphere. How does chlorine sound?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:29:05 PM PST
I'm really impressed with how deep this game is. There are all sorts of weapons and technologies to use like beaming your crew to an enemy ship to wreak havoc or drones to shoot down enemy missiles. Not to mention you can upgrade so many ship systems.

Since each game is procedurally generated it puts you in the situation of not knowing what you should upgrade in order to be ready for the challenges ahead.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:40:08 PM PST
I haven't once gotten a drone system up and running. I should, though, because even with four shields up (which is nigh impossible for me) I get pwn'd by shield bypass.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:03:52 PM PST
Yeah, in Angband, I've died before even getting to the dungeon. Jerkass mercenaries.

...you know, that's probably why I hate the "special" people in AC who shove you so much. They remind me of the drunkards and idiots in town in Angband, and I got into the habit of just killing anybody on the street in that game. Those damn Acreites are lucky I don't visit the same upon them. I could totally do it, too, screw the guards.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:09:09 PM PST
I like to keep a Rockman on my crew to fight fires since they are immune to flames. Typically once I get extra crew (someone piloting, engines, weapons, and shields) I'll put them in the med bay so the moment something happens I can send to where ever I need them.

Drones are pretty damn awesome once you get the right setup. My best run thus far as been with the Engi drone ship and I think I had three crewmen at most. Drones are awesome for repairs as well since they don't need oxygen and are immune to flames.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions