Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Django Unchained Early Reviews.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 7:30:53 AM PST
Tarantino gives us an American Spaghetti Western that's a bloody good time from start to finish.
December 14, 2012

Richard Roeper
Richard Roeper.com
Top Critic

Tarantino lives to cross the line. Is Django Unchained too much? ... It wouldn't be Tarantino otherwise.
December 13, 2012

Peter Travers
Rolling Stone
Top Critic

A violent, whirling fantasia into our dark past.
December 13, 2012

Jordan Hoffman
Film.com
Top Critic

Django Unchained is pure, if not great, Tarantino.
December 12, 2012

Richard Corliss
TIME Magazine
Top Critic

Tarantino, with lip-smacking down-and-dirty subversive gusto, rubs our noses in the forbidden spectacle of America's racist ugliness.
December 12, 2012

Owen Gleiberman
Entertainment Weekly
Top Critic

An immensely satisfying taste of antebellum empowerment packaged as spaghetti-Western homage.
December 12, 2012

Peter Debruge
Variety
Top Critic

Incendiary and proud of it. The work of a master at the top of his game.
December 18, 2012

Chris Bumbray
JoBlo's Movie Emporium

Perhaps not a great Tarantino film, but an extremely enjoyable one nevertheless, Django Unchained is a thoroughly excessive, gore-soaked odyssey that's blessed with outstanding performances - especially one from Leonardo DiCaprio - above all else.
December 17, 2012

Shaun Munro
What Culture

Plodding through the parts that the filmmaker couldn't bare to trim down winds up being more than worthwhile, however, for the many moments of sheer moviegoing pleasure that Django Unchained provides. It's a bloody treat.
December 17, 2012

Alonso Duralde
The Wrap

Tarantino is aiming for the gut, and the sheer audacity just blows you away.
December 17, 2012

Stella Papamichael
Digital Spy

The end result is a goofily unhinged, consistently engrossing, facetious look at one of the darkest moments in American history through the eyes of someone who's spent too much time in the cinema watching inconsequential flicks.
December 15, 2012

Brandon Judell
CultureCatch

Expanding on his theme of historical revenge, Quentin Tarentino is at his bloody best here. To borrow a phrase, this one 'floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee'.
December 15, 2012

Joanna Langfield
The Movie Minute

...as a fun-filled tribute to those older, cheesier genres, Django Unchained absolutely works, and aside from being overlong is a pleasure to view. But it isn't more than that
December 14, 2012

Luke Y. Thompson
Topless Robot

It's always so much fun to see something familiar turned into something fresh right before your eyes. Few can do it like Tarantino.
December 14, 2012

Scott Weinberg
GeekNation

While inventive and clever, it doesn't add up to much more than a minor film from a major director.
December 13, 2012

Kirk Honeycutt
honeycuttshollywood.com

All the Tarantino hallmarks are there: engaging story, hilarious dialogue, shocking violence and exciting musical accompaniment.
December 12, 2012

Kristian Harloff
Schmoes Know

The violence, the humor, the strong language all adds up to deliver on the considerable hype that goes when a celebrated director takes on an ambitious project. Here's to your thin red line, Mr. Tarantino...we're happy to step over!
December 12, 2012

Mark Ellis
Schmoes Know

Tarantino definitely has a point to make about slavery, and it is there, but it is well hidden behind a stout curtain of fun, which is ultimately what you'll get from Django Unchained.
December 12, 2012

Joshua Starnes
ComingSoon.net

Vibrating with the geekery of a filmmaker off the chain, the movie plays like no other this year.
December 12, 2012

Joshua Rothkopf
Time Out New York

A companion piece to Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino's revenge tale is long, excessive, violent pulp Western, but it's well acted, sporadically humorous, and always entertaining.
December 12, 2012

Emanuel Levy
EmanuelLevy.Com

------------------------------------------

So it's a violent, sometimes funny, sometimes witty, sometimes serious, and cleverly acted tribute film?

Looks like it's more Kill Bill 1 than Inglorious Basterds, and I'm fine with that. Looking forward to see Leo Dicaprio play the villain.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:31:28 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I can't wait to see this.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:33:40 AM PST
Prankster says:
Sounds awesome! Sucks that it isn't releasing in India for another two months though. :(

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:42:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
This movie just looks great.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:46:28 AM PST
I'll be seeing it for sure, looks great!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:47:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:48:43 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Is this a rerelease of Sukiyaki Western Django or a new movie?

Edit: Wikipedia says a new movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:49:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:52:26 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
New movie.

Edit: Ninjedit!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:49:34 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Actually, he prefers Kirk.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:59:17 PM PST
Reviews overall sound pretty good. I'm a big fan of Quentin Tarentino and I can't wait to see this.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:01:38 PM PST
Django looks pretty good, though I wished it starred anyone but Jamie Foxx, but not a dealbreaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:03:22 PM PST
Naturally, I can't wait for this one. I'll see if it's as good as Pulp Fiction, because that's what it's being compared to. New best film of all time? I doubt it.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:06:45 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I wonder who's comparing it to Pulp Fiction?

Dummies probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:15:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 3:15:26 PM PST
Tarantino's films do share similarities between each other. It's his style, and it's prevalent in all of his films.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:56:54 PM PST
Home Fried says:
It'll sure be interesting to watch a movie about the old south as a Spaghetti western.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:00:14 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2012 4:47:02 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:11:31 PM PST
Anthony says:
honestly, the only reason why i'm even considering watching this movie is because its a tarintino film. i don't like westerns.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:20:15 PM PST
"Well great now i have to find a date"

I met a kind of conservative gal at a district meeting. I know she won't enjoy this flick, but I'm thinking of being trollish and taking her on a first date.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:35:42 PM PST
Forget Christmas dinner. I'm grabbing a popcorn and seeing Django

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:26:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:04 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:59:08 PM PST
Meatwad says:
Wasn't a big fan of IB but I'm more than willing to see this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions