Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls SL1 playthrough

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 266 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 7:46:58 AM PST
So I finally gathered the courage to try a SL1 playthough. So far, I have managed to reach Anor Londo and am ready to take on O&S. Of course, it has involved a lot of deaths to get here. I am only using the NPC summons and am not summoning any other player as I feel summoning someone else defeats the purpose of doing a SL1 playthrough. Who else here has tried SL1 playthrough? Any tips?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:49:19 AM PST
I've never tried one but watched one on NG+7 on youtube. I'd just say be ready to be frustrated. This guy was a beast and O&S gave him fits. Obviously upgrade your pyro glove to max ASAP and if you are at the point now where everything one shots you, then you might as well make sure you're wearing the Red Tearstone ring and try to always keep your health low enough so its always activated.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:53:11 AM PST
So far, I have managed to upgrade my pyro glove to +15 and have a lightning reinforced club+3. I don't think most enemies in NG would one-shot me but that's a good suggestion. I wish we could attune a couple more pyromancies...that would have made this a bit easier :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:58:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
You can use the attunement ring at the cost of another accessory though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:00:29 AM PST
I'm talking more the bosses, I'm not sure, but the bosses pretty soon should start being able to be close to one-shotting you. I'd also recommend trying to get multiple of those clubs and taking the different upgrade paths. I think a chaos one would probably end up being really helpful as you can at least eat 10 humanity to try to keep your damage output up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:02:45 AM PST
Eh, I would say the attunement ring isnt worth it really. I would think the FaP ring would be a must and then honestly I would stick with the Red Tearstone or maybe Havel's to try to give you a chance to equip at least a little armor without losing fast roll.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:05:58 AM PST
Yeah good suggestion on the attunement ring.

Yeah I guess you are right about the bosses. I guess I have to become really good at dodging. Else, I will never make it through. I definitely want to make a fire+10. The problem with humanity is that I end up spending a lot more so that I can summon NPCs for bosses (and of course, I still die and use humanity again to summon them). So I am left with very few humanity. As such, I don't know how I can manage to have 10 humanity all the time for chaos weapons.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:06:16 AM PST
jSten says:
If you have good familiarity with their movelist, you can beat them without taking hits this way: Play defensively and use the pillars as obstacles to impede their movement. Walk backwards, circling the room, and keeping both in view. Never attack unless you know exactly where both are, and one of them is behind a pillar. Wait for one to make a mistake and miss an attack while the other is unable to assist, then get a hit in.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:07:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:07:46 AM PST
I'd use Fog / Slumbering dragoncrest on a NG+ run just to keep aggro down on enemies. Using that combo on my lower SL characters while I wait for friends has made running areas easier.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:08:03 AM PST
Currently I use FaP and Havels/something else depending on the need. I am torn between keeping my equip burden below 25% and 50%. I like to be lower than 25% but then I hardly have any poise which makes it quite easy for mobs to take me down.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:12:11 AM PST
A nice place is to farm the rats early on in the Depths, you can farm a decent amount of humanity there. Its slow going but I know I did that my first play through of the game just to make sure I had plenty of humanity to burn if I needed it.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:23:15 AM PST
I guess I have to farm humanity as I am running out of them.

Did they do something with the Anor Londo archers? I died at least 5-6 times on them and every time I would run up and turn right I would end up getting an arrow in the back. I don't remember this happening earlier.

Gaping Dragon created a lot of problems for me as it can easily one-shot you if your vitality is low. Stupid Solaire dies in that fight without doing much. Ultimately, I ended up using the Red Tearstone ring and taking off about 40% of it's health before flasking up and taking it on in a regular fashion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:28:54 AM PST
Mojie55 says:
Done a SL1 myself. You don't want to rely too much on FAP. The further you go the extra health and stamina don't do much. It just wastes a ring slot. You can go Havels and Darkwood Grain, some lads even use the Red Tear Stone which boosts your damage output at 1/4 health. Its really more about not getting hit and timing your rolls. Don't rely on tanking hits with your shield. Upgrade your Pyro Glve to the Max and also a Light Crossbow to the max.

Ornstein and Smough are the first tough fight you will have. Four Kings are more difficult since the patch and almost impossible without the glove. Artorias, Kalameet, Manus and Gywn(Unless you can parry) will kill you a lot as well

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:49:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:49:12 AM PST
Sars says:
I tried to do it with out magic or pyro glove, It wasnt to difficult, but i couldnt get past O&S, i could get them down to one then i was done. I actually used the bandit at level 4 so i wouldnt be temped to use magic. I had a lot of fun but everything comes to an end.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:03:16 AM PST
Mojie55 says:
I don't think you can use Magic at SL1 as you don't have high enough intelligence and every class can use pyromancy.

You shouldn't give up mate. O&S killed me about 30 times before I got them and it was one of the best gaming highs I have ever had. The fight must have lasted about 20 minutes. I recomend killing Pinwheel before it so you can kindle up to 20 Estus Flasks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:07:41 AM PST
Sars says:
yeah i meant using the pyro glove, I tried a lot, Im probably deploying in july so i will bring my ps3 and might try it again.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:13:46 AM PST
Wow...looks like I am in for a world of pain! You can actually use soul arrow at SL1 but pyro is way better. What pyromancies do you guys suggest? I prefer combustion as that gives me more castings and I find a lower chance of missing a hit vs. say fireball.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:31:31 AM PST
Mojie55 says:
You will want combustion and great combustion from Quleana. Also get her to ascend your glove. What weapon are you using?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:45:41 AM PST
I am using lightning reinforced club+3 as of now and my glove is at +15 right now. To get her to ascend it I will need to go back all the way to the swamp and then make the trip back since I don't have the lordvessel right now and I am in Anor Londo right now. I guess I should have bought great combustion from her when I was there. Stupid me!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:49:26 AM PST
I'd also recommend Great Chaos Fireball. With a maxed Pyro glove, it can take out the dogs in the Catacombs in one hit, the fireball hits them and then the lava effect after finishes them off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:56:21 AM PST
Mojie55 says:
No need to run back you should be fine for now, you will need it more for 4 kings. The reinforced club is good and at +3 Lightning it should do as much damage as regular +10. Ornstein has high lightning defence and upgrading your weapon actually weakens it for Ornstein, sneaky From Devs. At +3 there should not be much change against them. Keep a distance from them, circle from far away until Ornstein charges you, roll, hit him before Smough catches up. keep doing that till its you and Smough. Stay close enough to him that he does his overhead smash, roll right and you can hit him 2-3 times before he recovers.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:02:23 AM PST
I have the Great Chaos Fireball but the problem with that is I only have 4 uses out of it (since I only have 2 slots I can't equip anything else).

The thing about reinforced club is that it's R1 is pretty weak and R2 is quite strong but obviously takes a lot longer to hit since it is a jump attack. In a normal game I usually take out Ornstein with my Pyro and so that's what I will try to do when he darts at me (not sure how much damage my pyro+15 and combustion will do, I really wish I had gotten dusk's crown and the sorcery ring). Hopefully I can manage Super Smough after this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:04:08 AM PST
Mojie55 says:
Quickly switch to two hand and R1 and switch back. You do a bit more damage. Ornstein will take a bit to kill, be patient and chip away at him. Play flawless mate!! lol, easier said than done!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:39:15 PM PST
Which was the most difficult part of taking out O&S? I imagine when the two of them are there. I would guess that taking out the super versions of either of them would be easier than the initial part...especially if you have Solaire to assist you. Does he help at all?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:37:10 PM PST
Mojie55 says:
Its all tough. You do less damage the the super versions and they do more. It must have taken me 30-40 attempts, but what a rush mate.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  266
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions