Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nier - Is it any good?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 5:18:10 AM PST
Well? I was watching a review from CGR for it over the weekend and I can't believe I missed this game. I thought it looked pretty fun, anyone play it?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:20:42 AM PST
I know some folks here loved it. I found it to be slightly boring. I shelved it after about 10 hours.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:21:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:21:56 AM PST
new Tron says:
I love Nier very much.

It doesn't have the best graphics or the best gameplay. But what it does have is some of the best characters, best music, and one of the best stories ever put into a video game. I was so engaged by the characters and story that the rest of the game's flaws didn't matter to me. The end of this game blew my mind like no other game has in a really long time. Excellent game that was sadly overlooked by a lot of gamers.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:21:18 AM PST
waxc3 says:
yup. i enjoyed it. your have to get quite a bit in to get to the good parts. theres some slow sections early on.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:22:59 AM PST
Worth the $20 it's here on Zon for? I can't find any local copies within 50 miles. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:23:21 AM PST
new Tron says:
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:25:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:25:39 AM PST
Loved it. It has it's flaws. Specifically the graphics and many consider the gameplay a bit boring (I actually kind of liked it). But like Tron said, the characters and the story are simply amazing. I'm not one for paying much attention to the music in games but this game simply has the best music of any game...period. I know that's a kind of bold statement but I honestly can't think of another game that comes anywhere close.

I will warn you though it does take a while to get going...like nearly half the game.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:27:27 AM PST
waxc3 says:
those first minutes when you level up every millisecond had me so excited! i had to see the game through.

the end story is well worth playing through to see as well. not at all predictible.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:38:21 AM PST
Enjoyed the game. Only obtained first ending to date but will obtain all at some point. I thought graphics was impressive (but I still buy ps2 rpg games).

I'm not a huge hack slash fan in general, but the story pulled me along for most part. I did enjoy the boss fights tremendously.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:43:03 AM PST
Well, sounds like I get to add another game to my backlog. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:02:37 AM PST
Isn't it only like 15 hours long?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:04:41 AM PST
JWK says:
Yes. Yes it is. Music is great and I really enjoyed the combat. It *can* be a bit repetitive, but not doing any side missions helped me with that. I just stuck to the main mission.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:05:47 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
If you skip side missions and rush through it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:07:11 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Guys, I think you may have oversold Nier to me a little bit. The story doesn't seem that great. The real strength of this game is the music. It's wonderful. The tracks with vocals can get repetitive, but they're still good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:07:49 AM PST
I played it, but it's a split game. you either love it or hate it. I disliked it, after playing dark/demon souls this kind of game was just dull to me.

Plus... The main character is uglier than sin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:19:30 AM PST
Beats me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:22:06 AM PST
Mel says:
fantastic

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:22:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:24:16 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
BUY IT!

I absolutely loved Nier. The graphics aren't the best and the gameplay can be dull for some people but where the game really shines is the characters, story, and music. Nier probably ranks in at number 1 game for me this generation. I hate iTunes but the second I finished the game I bought the entire OST on there so I could listen to the music over and over.

Main game - 20 hours
Main game + all extras - 55 hours
Rush(need to for a trophy) - 11 hours

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:23:52 AM PST
I will also concur that the music is pretty good.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:24:32 AM PST
Mel says:
It's the RPG version of Deadly Premonition

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:27:22 AM PST
That I can't argue with, it did have good music.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:30:23 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Really, really good game.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:05:44 AM PST
Maybe if I had played it when it came out but I just tried to play it and could not get into it. Newer games are just so much better. I kept thinking that it will get better but it didn't. I would say skip it! Sorry to all the lover's of it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:06:27 AM PST
new Tron says:
??

Its not even 3 years old.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:10:14 AM PST
JWK says:
Also wanted to mention that Nier is a great example of having poor visuals graphically speaking that are masked by a great art style. I've heard people complain that it "looks like a PS2 game." That may be marginally true, but the visual style is so good, I never really noticed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions