Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 117 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:41:18 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Nah I didn't. I just grabbed the regular for $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:39:21 AM PST
Did you see that the CE is $45 here on Amazon? Worth it IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:30:38 AM PST
All Exclusives and "times" exclusives do is screw over the customers :p

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:21:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 9:22:13 AM PST
Lucanus says:
On a happier pro Sony note, I just ordered UC3. I loved UC1+UC2, can't wait to get my hands on UC3. I have heard great things. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:20:24 AM PST
Fair enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:54:51 AM PST
The PS2 wasn't easy to code for but devs dealt with it because that was where the market was. Wii games weren't just profitable (or profitable enough) for developers to take on the extra work. Ubisoft being an exception, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:54:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:56:08 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Most of the time it is because of closed door meetings. Microsoft and Sony will pay extra to have games made exclusive, even pay extra for timed exclusives. This is why some games are exclusive despite being third party.

Sales do influence game lineup my friend. But of course there are other factors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:53:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
If the Wii were easy to port too, it would have had better third party support, like we are seeing on the U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:53:01 AM PST
You keep saying that the 360 and PS3 audience is greater than the Wii audience. This is true. So why are there non-first party exclusives? If a company is only going to make a game for one platform, why not do it one the one that has the highest install base?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:51:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:51:12 AM PST
Install base
360+ps3+PC+Wii>Leaving out one platform

At least one of those platforms is unnecessarily hard to code for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:49:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:52:39 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Really?

Install base
360+ps3+PC>Wii

This has been said already. How many times do you want me to repeat the obvious?

Since the U is easy to port too, unlike the Wii, we are already seeing much improved third party support because on November 18th user base:
360+ps3+PC+U>360+ps3+PC

If the Wii were easier to port too, yeah we would have seen much more support. It really is that simple. But at least we agree, sales do matter because developers take into account potential customers. This is the reason IKEA has stores in populated areas, not out in the boonies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:46:38 AM PST
Hey, that reminds me of a certain website that estimates sales data!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:46:14 AM PST
There is probably a correlation, but I do not think it is as significant as you believe it is. The Dreamcast may have sold 13 million, and the PS2 may have sold 150 million. On the surface, yes, it appears that the PS2 would see higher sales of a game than the Dreamcast would. But we of course know that 13 million sales for a game is a HUGE number and is unachievable by most games anyways.

But the Wii has a massive install base, too. It has a traditional console controller. Why aren't we seeing a ton of third party support for the platform? I mean, devs could nearly double their potential audience, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:35:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:36:41 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Exactly. It makes no sense for a developer to lock their AAA title into Wii code, not when they could ps3+360+PC their games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:34:14 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Watch Keller come back with the same failed logic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:33:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:34:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Not really, as already pointed out making Skyrim for the ps3+360+PC offers far more potential customers than making it just for the Wii. The Wii was so weak porting was an issue. For reference look at the U, it is already getting better third party support than the Wii ever did, because making ACIII for the U+360+ps3+PC offers the most potential customers. This is simple business 101 guys.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:33:25 AM PST
I think a big problem with the Wii was bad SDKs from Nintendo. Developers essentially had to rewrite entire games to make them work on the Wii where a lot of PS3 and 360 games could share engines and art assets. Fortunately Unreal Engine 4 is scalable so that even a phone can run it so we shouldn't see that problem to such a severe degree in the next generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:32:24 AM PST
OH I agree. I still have some of the good third party games. But they aren't what sell the 3DS. the Vita has no real first party stuff, accept for LBP i think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:29:34 AM PST
like nate said

'By this argument, we should see phenomenal third-party support for the Wii.'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:28:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:29:28 AM PST
Lucanus says:
So you don't think there is a correlation between game sales and console sales? So any particular game could sell just as well on the Dreamcast (13 million base) as on the ps2 (150 million base)? You believe that? The crazy third party support the DS and ps2 got had nothing to do with the massive installed base?

"Easy" is relative. But the end result in the same. The vast majority of third party developers made their games for PC, 360 and ps3... because the combined base was massive and offered higher potential in sales vs just the Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:26:32 AM PST
I. Flores says:
>>Considering the number of articles over the years about how difficult it is to code for the PS3, I don't think this is accurate.<<

It actually becomes very accurate when it supports you agenda.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:25:06 AM PST
"Not really, because third party games sold poorly on the Wii."

But your argument wasn't that game sales affect other game sales. Your argument was that console sales affect developer support. If true, the Wii should have hands-down the best third party dev support this gen.

"Porting between the 360 and ps3 is easy."

Considering the number of articles over the years about how difficult it is to code for the PS3, I don't think this is accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:21:32 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Your argument and logic is failing all over the place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:17:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:25:44 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Not really, because third party games sold poorly on the Wii. Hence why third party developers didn't offer real support. Plus there is the obvious, Wii games aren't easily ported. Porting between the 360 and ps3 is easy. 60 million ps3 units + 60 million 360 units = 120 million units. The Wii is at 100 million. While the Wii did well, the combined base of the 360+ps3 was always higher. Not too mention porting to the PC was easy as well. It made far more sense to make a 360+ps3+PC game vs a Wii game. Sales do effect developers and what consoles they release games for.

Being serious here folks, do people really think sales don't effect game lineup? I mean honestly? If you ran a studio would you pay attention to potential customers? Quite frankly anybody who thinks sales don't greatly influence the decisions developers make are naive and childish. Companies exsist to make money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:16:09 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Ninstationbox is full of shit, most of us know that by now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 2974 16 seconds ago
I started playing Wolfenstein and it made me realize something about Destiny. 13 4 minutes ago
Pre-ordered? 32 6 minutes ago
OT: First World Internet Problems 10 6 minutes ago
Destiny Angry Review 51 8 minutes ago
It's not enough to just have 'good' games anymore 38 15 minutes ago
Just finished New Vegas... 22 17 minutes ago
Driveclub bundle fills passenger seat with white PS4 in Europe 3 20 minutes ago
Casuals! Mount up! Bejeweled 3 Free on Origin. 3 21 minutes ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 815 24 minutes ago
Free game keys 4 32 minutes ago
'Sony has the potential to make the game console market its exclusive territory', analyst claims 8 34 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions