Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 117 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:29:08 AM PST
Nintendo has always been bad at third party support. Since... the dawn of time. Back int he NES days they only let developers make 5 games a year (was a lot easier to make games back then... huh) But I have rarely bought a Nintendo system for it's third party games. I buy them for the Mario, the Zelda, Metroid etc... the First party games of awesome. Wii U will mark the first nintendo System I buy for a non first party game, in this case monster hunter. If Nintendo was smart they would have put a second analog stick on the 3DS XL. I'm still shocked they didn't.

I would still like to see what Happens to Vita sales if a MH title ever get's put on it :3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:31:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:31:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't know what the limit was on Nintendo licensed developers per year, but I do know that there were workarounds for that. Because of the games per year restriction, konami created Ultra Games, and effectively doubled the amount of games they could put out in a year.

Nintendo had a good reason for doing that though, it was so they could control the amount of games on the system, so it didn't turn into Atari: everyone making however many games they wanted per year and flooding the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:40:09 AM PST
oh no it was a great change, and a needed one. Atari was obsessed with releasing Quantity. Nintendo changed the market for the better.

I took a video games history course i college, learned a lot more than I expected. And it was a fun course!

Nintendo Limiting it to 5 made developers say "Now wait a minute... we have to make these 5 REALLY count"

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:40:59 AM PST
I think the SNES was the only home console from Nintendo that did well with third party. The GBA and DS both did excellent with third party support.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:43:21 AM PST
I think the DS did well, but From what I remember the best sellers were still Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:45:50 AM PST
Top 10 DS games, you're pretty much right, just not Zelda.

New Super Mario Bros. (29.09 million)[2]
Nintendogs (23.64 million)[3]
Mario Kart DS (22.57 million)[2]
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (18.96 million)[3]
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.57 million)[4]
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (14.83 million)[3]
Pokémon Black and White (14.71 million)[2]
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (11.90 million)[5]
Animal Crossing: Wild World (11.51 million)[3]
Super Mario 64 DS (9.65 million)[5]

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:47:12 AM PST
Well that's a good point the Zelda titles on the DS were... meh.

I am shocked for whatever reason that nintendogs is second... just goes to show taht hard core gamers truly are only about 10% of the gaming audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:48:26 AM PST
Yeah, Nintendogs, Brain Age 1 and 2 and Animal Crossing. Crazy stuff. But if you want to sell a handheld, you better have games like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:49:29 AM PST
I don't dispute that, and that's where the 3DS wil shine. Not so much the Vita. But I still like the Vita more :3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:53:38 AM PST
Nintendo games will always outsell third party games, but the DS did a good job with support and sales of third party games. Great little portable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:54:18 AM PST
It's a toss up for me, the scales might tip in the Vita's favor due to dual analogs and trophies, but the 3DS is sweet too.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:06:24 AM PST
M. McFly says:
just goes to show taht hard core gamers truly are only about 10% of the gaming audience.

Exactly why a dedicated handheld can't be priced at the same point of an ipad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:12:03 AM PST
You seem to be biased in that regard...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:12:52 AM PST
Well Fox mentioned that only sales mattered, but he was joking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:13:36 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
And what hand held is priced the same as the ipad??

I thought I told you to never come in here McFly!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:14:26 AM PST
"Sales=increased developer support and longer shelf life. Sales do matter. Sure a system can be enjoyed and great, despite low sales. See the Gamecube for details. But the Gamecube did have bad third party support, because sales were terrible. Meanwhile the ps2 broke records and had easily the greatest third party support out of any console in the history of gaming. Sales do affect developer support."

By this argument, we should see phenomenal third-party support for the Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:15:43 AM PST
Wasn't Nintendogs bundled with the DS at one point?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:16:09 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Ninstationbox is full of shit, most of us know that by now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:17:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:25:44 AM PST
Not really, because third party games sold poorly on the Wii. Hence why third party developers didn't offer real support. Plus there is the obvious, Wii games aren't easily ported. Porting between the 360 and ps3 is easy. 60 million ps3 units + 60 million 360 units = 120 million units. The Wii is at 100 million. While the Wii did well, the combined base of the 360+ps3 was always higher. Not too mention porting to the PC was easy as well. It made far more sense to make a 360+ps3+PC game vs a Wii game. Sales do effect developers and what consoles they release games for.

Being serious here folks, do people really think sales don't effect game lineup? I mean honestly? If you ran a studio would you pay attention to potential customers? Quite frankly anybody who thinks sales don't greatly influence the decisions developers make are naive and childish. Companies exsist to make money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:21:32 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Your argument and logic is failing all over the place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:25:06 AM PST
"Not really, because third party games sold poorly on the Wii."

But your argument wasn't that game sales affect other game sales. Your argument was that console sales affect developer support. If true, the Wii should have hands-down the best third party dev support this gen.

"Porting between the 360 and ps3 is easy."

Considering the number of articles over the years about how difficult it is to code for the PS3, I don't think this is accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:26:32 AM PST
I. Flores says:
>>Considering the number of articles over the years about how difficult it is to code for the PS3, I don't think this is accurate.<<

It actually becomes very accurate when it supports you agenda.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:28:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:29:28 AM PST
So you don't think there is a correlation between game sales and console sales? So any particular game could sell just as well on the Dreamcast (13 million base) as on the ps2 (150 million base)? You believe that? The crazy third party support the DS and ps2 got had nothing to do with the massive installed base?

"Easy" is relative. But the end result in the same. The vast majority of third party developers made their games for PC, 360 and ps3... because the combined base was massive and offered higher potential in sales vs just the Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:29:34 AM PST
like nate said

'By this argument, we should see phenomenal third-party support for the Wii.'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:32:24 AM PST
OH I agree. I still have some of the good third party games. But they aren't what sell the 3DS. the Vita has no real first party stuff, accept for LBP i think.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions