Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Recent Demo Rundown

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2010 6:55:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 6:57:04 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
It's that time again!

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Fantastic, engrossing, and fun. Look forward to buying this game after playing the demo (I've talk about this demo extensively elsewhere on the VGF, so I'm not going into detail again).

Blade Kitten - Boring, boring, and boring. The visuals are nice and the game mechanics work, but the demo itself was just plain boring. I was waiting on something to happen, and it never did. The character expressions are sometimes humorous, but the writing is generally not funny (though I did laugh at the soldiers saying the situation is "Oscar Mike Golf" or some such). The game itself may not be so boring, perhaps this was just a tutorial, but this is a poor example of gameplay to get me to buy it.

DJ Hero 2 - If you played the first game, you know what to expect here. They've added extra free-style options, and I had a blast with them. I enjoyed it, but will still wait on it to drop in price.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:08:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 7:15:04 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Forgot a couple:

Worms 2: Armageddon - It's a great game, and just like I remember it from years ago back on the PC. At $15, it seems a bit steep for me, though.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene Network - I had a good time with this demo, and it's a neat concept. You start out with classic style Space Invaders, and it "evolves" into a more modernized scrolling shooter. If you like scrolling-shooters (or whatever they're called), but you were avoiding this demo because you thought it was just Space Invaders, check it out - you may like it. I'm not really into the genre at all, so I didn't find it especially compelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 7:12:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 7:13:21 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
I liked the Space Invaders demo as well, but not enough to buy it. It's gotten good reviews, so for shooter fans it seems to be a solid purchase. If I wasn't already swamped with awesome downloadable titles (grabbed Monkey Island bundle last week, Deathspank this week), I probably would have picked it up.

Worms 2 is the same game that's been out for over a year on XBLA. It's great. 'nuff said.

I downloaded the Enslaved, Blade Kitten, and DJ Hero 2 demos overnight, and am anxious to get home to them today (more DJ Hero 2 and Enslaved than Blade Kitten).

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:13:53 AM PDT
Bandage says:
Hmmm... I might have to take a look at the Space Invaders demo...

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:15:11 AM PDT
Prankster says:
Downloading takes such a long time for me that I won't be able to try these before Sunday. Looking forward to Enslaved the most.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:16:06 AM PDT
amessofamind says:
Only demos I've played recently are Vanquish and Guitar Hero WOR.. Vanquish was a fun, and VERY fast paced third person shooter.. might consider picking it up as a bargain bin one day.. GHWOR disappointed me.. Maybe it was the songs.. but I don't think it was.. game just felt dated and quest mode seemed cheesy.. almost cancelled my preorder.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:17:45 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Yeah, i fell asleep staring at the Enslaved DL screen after i demoed Blade Kitten. Did stream the feature/interview earlier in the night on LIVE and its looks amazing, got pretty pumped. Looking forward to trying it tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 7:18:00 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I don't get why the GH:WoR isn't on the PSN yet. I'd like to give the game a run, though I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up sometime in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 7:20:06 AM PDT
amessofamind says:
The demo really wasn't good at all though.. I kind of wish that I wouldn't have played the demo.. I'd be more excited that way.. I guess I just can't stand the drum layout.. If I'm playing DethKlok.. I expect ample bass pedal.. but it seemed to only play every 3rd bass.. which really threw off my timing.. hopefully the game will be fun.. but if not.. there is always RB3.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 7:21:01 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Enslaved: incredibly awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 8:21:53 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Well, I know if there's double bass and you aren't playing on Expert+ it will remove half the kicks during double bass sections. Perhaps that's what you were noticing?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 8:37:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:32:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 10:00:01 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Bumping the old thread for some more demo impressions.

Ricochet HD - Serviceable Breakout clone, but it doesn't do anything new from what I saw. Hated the art the style and UI.

Top Gun - Gameplay-wise, it's a standard arcade flight game. Voice-acting and story were turrible. Graphics were mostly turrible. Best thing about the demo was the Top Gun song that plays in the opening (Not "Highway to the Danger Zone", but that other one).

Microbot - Fun little game, but I had the same issue I had with the TerRover demo - it hooked me right away, but I lost interest pretty quickly. With this game, the concept is great (loved the intro) and the style is really nice. The upgrade system is neat, and it looks like it could get very robust as the game goes on. I got tired of zooming from section to section killing the same small variety of enemies over-and-over, though. I played this one pretty late, so it may just have been my state-of-mind at the time. If you're looking for a side-scrolling shooter with customizable elements, give this one a shot.

Kung Fu Live - Had to push the coffee table back for this one. I could never get my lighting perfect for the game; I could still play the game, but my image in the game was missing sections of my body. That said, the game still worked...technically. It didn't register every punch and kick, and it was slightly laggy when it would. That said, it was still pretty fun seeing myself on the screen flying around and kicking ninjas in the face. I know I'd get bored with the game pretty quickly, though, as it' s only a casual brawler.

So, four games I'll be passing on. Kinda sad...I still have the Alien Breed 2 demo to try out, maybe it will be good.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 10:04:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2011 10:06:51 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
LittleBigPlanet 2 - Awesome. Definite day-one purchase.

Dead Space 2 - Horrible demo, but it's also a day-one purchase because I know how awesome this series is. Plus I want Extraction.

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene - Fun, but no purchase for me.

The Shoot - I actually had fun with it. But in no way should this be a full-priced game. I'd value it as a $10-15 PSN title. Absurd they're getting away with charging $40.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 - Wonderful and engrossing demo that was simultaneously a massive disappointment due to its performance on the PS3. The framerate on the cutscenes was so choppy it totally took away from the moment. Gameplay performance was better, but hardly the vast improvement over the original engine that BioWare touted.

And Yet It Moves (WiiWare) - This was a great brain-teaser! Not sure I'll take the time to play it, but it still rocked. If the Wii was my only system I'd definitely buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:07:08 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I'm guessing they didn't give a peek at the interactive comic?

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 10:07:59 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 22, 2011 11:08:50 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2011 10:09:05 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
nope.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:07:34 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Tried a couple more.

Bejeweled 3 - I bought this game immediately after trying the demo. The quest mode is FANTASTIC! Triumphant for PopCap.

Rayman Origins - I loved, loved, LOVED this game! I've never tried anything Rayman before and this is just amazing. Is this gonna be a disc release or a downloadable game? I want it. Now.

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One - *sigh* This demo made me so sad. Having just recently finished A Crack In Time it was just so disappointing to go to this. You know, I get that this isn't meant to be a full-on R&C adventure but this doesn't even seem as though Insomniac developed it. Plus the game just looks ugly...the picture looks really washed out and hazy, as though they intentionally wanted to hide the colorful worlds you explore. Plus now that they've said they're never making another R&C game in 60 fps again, this one runs at 30, and so the game seems sluggish and bland. Maybe it's better with co-op, but I doubt that will add all that much to the experience. I'll buy this one for $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 7:11:18 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Rayman is a disc release, and, yes, it's awesome.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:15:30 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Rayman demo was really great - did anyone collect all 9 of the thingies to unlock the 5th character for the full game? I kind of want to try that.

I also tried the Payday demo and didn't like it. I'm sure it is more fun with people instead of AI teammates.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:17:27 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I still have to try the Saints Row: The Third demo. I have it downloaded, just haven't played it yet.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:20:13 AM PST
elect Tron says:
Stacking - I couldn't get into this game. I thought the concept was really cool but I just didn't like that setting. It made me uncomfortable for some reason.

Catherine - I'm so intrigued by this game and the story, but I don't think I can handle doing those "climb the tower" puzzles over and over again. I didn't enjoy them very much.

Rayman Origins - I also thought this was great! Really fun. Not sure if I'd pay $60 for it, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for it when the price drops.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 7:23:05 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
That's not a demo, by the way. It's a character creator. :-\

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:23:09 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I agree with you about Catherine. I really want to see how the story ends, but those tower puzzles are just...boring. And if that's all the gameplay consists of...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 7:23:38 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Seriously?? WTF?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions