Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Playstation 4 price point, release window, and new features leaked?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 86 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 3:49:57 PM PST
A new rumor suggests that PlayStation 4 is due this November and will be available at two price points. According to Kotaku, anonymous sources say the PlayStation 4 is currently planned for two SKUs at $429 and $529 respectively, though "that could change."

The source also suggests that "you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine." The second half of that rumor seems to be in line with Sony's recent changes to the accessibility of the PlayStation Store, which expanded to browsers last month.

Finally, the source suggests "that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita."

Yesterday, rumors suggested that the next PlayStation will be heavily integrated with social networks and new domain registrations earlier today pointed to a service called PlayStation Cloud. For now, it's unclear what Sony is planning for its next console, but we should be finding out much more information tomorrow.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/19/playstation-4-price-release-date-reportedly-outed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting information here though I think the release window is rather obvious considering that is just before the holidays. That price point, at least the $500 one, is painful in my eyes as well. But I doubt we're gonna get this kind of information tomorrow.

What caught my attention was the inclusion of a Playstation Eye with every console and that you can watch people play games on the dashboard. Now I rather liked how OnLive had it set up so you could click on any of the screens which made up the background and you'd be instantly streaming someone playing a game. Fairly cool feature and one I'd like to see more of. However I notice that the Playstation Eye is mentioned in the same line which makes me wonder if we're going to be watching the game or them playing the game.

If it is watching the person play I doubt that feature will go far. I don't know about most of you but I don't like the idea of people just being able to see what I'm up to at random. I hardly game with pants on after all. Sort of comes off as creepy to me. Hopefully this is more about streaming the gameplay to your console and not watching your buddy sit on his/her couch.

Could Sony be going after Kinect, which is rumored to be packaged with Microsoft next console?

Thoughts?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:52:22 PM PST
Voice of god says:
Isn't the presentation happening right now? Why are we still in rumorville?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:53:32 PM PST
It's going on tomorrow at 5 PM central/6 eastern/3 pacific.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/19/watch-the-sony-press-conference-live-feed.aspx

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:53:43 PM PST
Joel H. says:
I'm ok with this. Always been curious to see who is actually sephiroth.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:55:38 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
Here's more: playstation world to replace ps plus, most of ps4 features will require Xbox live like subscription.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:56:02 PM PST
Can't the rumors just stop? Seriously, the press conference is less than a day away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:02:16 PM PST
This is the internet, the rumors will never stop!

Also this just builds up more hype for tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:03:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 4:04:11 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
pretty sure all the specs will be covered, including price, when Sony unveils the PS4 tomorrow.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:11:11 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Not crazy about those prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:19:39 PM PST
Are $30 a dealbreaker for you?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 4:20:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 4:20:53 PM PST
but get this....$1000 pc is a good deal though

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:47:53 PM PST
At $429, it's about $30 over the max I would pay if they still had free online.

No free online and it becomes more of a $349 max purchase. :/

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:00:26 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Can we just wait until they announce like, ANYTHING at all?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:01:42 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Any word on PS3 price drop for next week or was Pachter blowing smoke out of his posterior?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:05:23 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
rabblerabblerabble

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:05:55 PM PST
On a sandwich? Yes. On a car? No. On a game console? Maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:09:04 PM PST
So say we all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:09:06 PM PST
Clearly you've never had the awesome that is a $30 sandwich.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:09:43 PM PST
It doesn't matter.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:10:07 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Hmm...these rumours are pointing me from "Sony has it in the bag" to "could be another tough fight".

It's like they see idiotic and think "hey, we should jump off that cliff too".

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:12:21 PM PST
Those prices are too high. Sony will price themselves out of the market again. Compared to PS3, they think it's a bargain, but almost everyone agrees that the PS3 was WAY overpriced. This is not AS overpriced, but still out of range of what most gamers will pay without a significant bundle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:13:52 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Oh it matters to me, my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:14:43 PM PST
Not to Pachter. He never has to be right. He said so himself.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:17:30 PM PST
Movie Monkey says:
I have a strong feeling that tomorrow's Press conference will be nothing more then a showcase of clips of PS4 games, and some tidbits on new features. It will probably be like "Look PS4 is coming! Look how early we are announcing it! Actual Hard information? Coming soon..."

I would be surprised if they announced official prices, specs, and release date.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:19:06 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Oh...gotcha. Reading comprehension is slow! Yeah, I wish I had his job!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions