Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I kinda hope the XBOX 720 really does looks like this...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 8:13:34 PM PST
Chaos Index says:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/11/18-1/rumor-xbox-world-magazine-spills-the-beans-on-next-xbox-console

looks kinda like a wii but still looks pretty cool. What do you guys think?

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:16:06 PM PST
To be honest, I don't really care what my consoles look like. I don't really look at them much, except when I'm dusting them off (electronics attract dust like nothing else.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:49:19 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I think it looks cool enough. To be honest tho, I think the design of the 360 was already good enough. Im more interested in the inside of it. I really hope they don't tweak the controller layout. The current 360 controller is already perfect in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:55:42 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
Agreed. The only thing the controller needs is a revised dpad for fighting games.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:56:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:01:23 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Oh yes the dpad. I always forget how terrible it is. Agreed fully on that change.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:32:38 PM PST
That d-pad needs more than just revising.

It'd also be nice if we could go back to proper buttons instead of triggers (yeah, I know I'm the only one who wants this) and a d-pad adjacent to the face buttons. I wind up angling at a slightly off direction when I want to go forward on the left stick when it's out of place like that.

Wouldn't mind a more elegantly contoured design (it still feels a little chunky to me). Splitting it in two pieces would be nice, too. That's the main reason I like the Wii controller so much despite everything else wrong with it. You can put your arms in any position you like. Don't need to take your hands off the controls to scratch your neck.

Something solid but light and compact would be nice, especially if you could sync it to computers and smart devices more easily.

And buttons in the back about where your middle and ring fingers naturally rest would be awesome. Maybe an analog pad instead, so you can control the camera from the back of the controller instead of taking your thumb away from the action buttons.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:47:13 PM PST
Honestly "replace the d-pad with something that actually works" is the only thing I would change about the 360 controller.

I very much prefer the sticks being offset (since I rarely use both sticks simultaneously, I most often use the left stick in concert with the face buttons.)

Maybe you could improve the build quality, but the D-pad is the only bad part.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:01:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 10:03:56 PM PST
If that is the design then hopefully the cooling will be sufficient. I like the way the Xbox 360 Slim is designed because it's a simple but effective method of cooling, a big honking heatsink/fan unit spitting heat out the top. Back of case fans don't work as well with confined spaces like in a console.

As for the controller I hope they don't change the size, general shape, or layout at all. Like others said, just fix the D-pad, and make the wireless ones work on smaller batteries to get rid of the big battery block on the bottom of them. If only Sony would consider redesigning their next gen controller. It's not bad but it could use some ergonomic improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:07:59 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:12:57 PM PST
As others have said, please don't change the controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:13:32 PM PST
If Sega would just make a bonafide, licensed Saturn-style controller specifically for the 360, all our fighting game dreams would come true and there would be world peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:13:39 PM PST
I disagree 100%. It feels more comfortable to me where the left stick is on the Xbox 360 controller over the Dualshock. I have to bend my thumb slightly at a unnatural angle to use it lower like on the Dualshock. It's not too bad but for long term use it starts to feel uncomfortable. My other problem with the Dualshock is it's overall shape. I wish the handgrips were shaped more like the Xbox controller, and I wish it was a little bigger. I'll give it one thing though, the D-pad is excellent. I never misclick with DS, but on the Xbox controller I frequently do unless I hit it exactly right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:16:58 PM PST
Too bad Microsoft doesn't read this forum though. Hopefully they have done some surveys or focus groups on this that say people like the controller as is, because I have a feeling they would otherwise change it just because they feel like they need a new design for image reasons (looking like they are offering something fresh even when it isn't needed).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:33:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 10:36:28 PM PST
Actually, if I let the 360 controller rest naturally in my hands, my thumbs fall almost exactly where the left stick and face buttons are, and almost all the time I am using primarily the left stick and the face buttons (the right stick is only occasionally nudged to adjust the camera).

My problem with the dualshock was largely "the left stick is too low."

Maybe I just have very long thumbs.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:36:46 PM PST
I thought I was the only one that preferred symmetry. I, too, dislike the offset analog stick placement on the 360 controller. I have no problem with the location of the right stick and I have no problem with the location of the left stick. I just wish they would pick a spot and stay there.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:16:14 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
I'm waiting to hear feedback on the WiiU pro controller's two high analogs. I prefer the offset 360, but I'm used to to Dualshock design as well. The overall size of the Dualshock is a little small for my hands though.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:35:36 AM PST
I generally prefer the 360 controller minus the d-pad. I tend to rest my right thumb on the buttons, not the stick so for me the 360 controller is the most symmetrical. When I play on PS3 and switch to 360 I really don't notice anything but when I go from 360 to PS3 the DualShock 3 tends to feel small in my hands.

I don't really have a problem with the Wii U controller other than having to look and see where I am pressing. I'm just not used to having buttons below the right stick though I"l get used to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:00:41 AM PST
D-pad and left stick/d-pad configuration aside, I'd change most controllers in the same ways that I enumerated. There are more ergonomic, comfortable designs than any of the current console controllers; why wouldn't you want to improve the portability, universality, and build quality of a controller given the opportunity?; splitting a controller in two pieces, as I explained before, is really far preferable to a design where you're stuck with your hands directly in front of you; and putting controls in the back is the best way I can think of to improve the current controller paradigm, considering that we usually only make use of four of our ten fingers.

I'm not saying the 360 controller is particularly bad (if you can ignore the godawful d-pad issue), but it, like all other controllers, certainly has plenty of room for improvement.

And since I seem to have gotten a stick-placement discussion going; for me, it has nothing to do with comfort, it's just a question of what I'm used to. Virtually every other controller that's had an analog stick on the left side has had it beneath the d-pad. I'm used to moving my thumb in relation to the angle at which it's resting on such a stick, which means that with the higher 360 stick, I have a tendency to move my thumb in a slightly incorrect angle. It usually isn't a problem, but in games where precise input is required, it certainly doesn't help that I have a terrible d-pad AND a left stick I can't reliably move in the exact direction I want.

I also play a lot of games where the d-pad is my preferred means of movement, so it's super weird to me for the d-pad to be given an inferior placement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:06:24 AM PST
waxc3 says:
same. im VERY comfortable with the 360 controller.

the newer d-pad is improved but still not great though.

what the controller needs is to last longer! i have worn out i think 6 or 7 of them. while true i use them hours and hours more than most 360 users im sick of the left stick starting to accuate up or turn without me moving it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:08:39 AM PST
hopefully they have boomerang controllers

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:09:56 AM PST
i find the offset sticks much more comfortable than the not off set sticks. i dont know if it is just because i am used to it, but it is awkward on the ps3 for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:12:39 AM PST
Mel says:
roku gonna sue em!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:12:52 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
7 controllers? What the heck are you doing? I still have my launch controller. Are you just playing RE6 QuickTime events all day. Lol

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:14:23 AM PST
Just saw that cover. And it lost me at "Kinect 2.0"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions