Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

'Black Ops 2' on course for biggest entertainment launch ever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 5:16:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:17:36 AM PST
Modern Wolf says:
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a438001/black-ops-2-on-course-for-biggest-ever-entertainment-launch.html

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is on course to become the biggest entertainment launch of all time, according to publisher Activision.

The shooter sequel arrived in stores worldwide yesterday (November 13), having already broken pre-order records at online retailer Amazon and garnered strong reviews in the press.

"From the very beginning, our goal with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was to deliver a new high watermark for the franchise. And thanks to the hard work and creative brilliance of our team at Treyarch, I think that's exactly what we've done," said Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg.

"In addition to an amazing and innovative game, we're also proud and humbled to see the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 creating yet another legitimate, pop cultural phenomenon.

"To our millions of fans worldwide, who have driven everything from pre-orders to YouTube views, to midnight lines outside of stores worldwide to new levels, we just want to say, thank you. You are the best fan base in the world, and the unprecedented thrill ride that is Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is all for you."

Bookmakers including Paddy Power and Ladbrokes recently tipped Black Ops 2 to become this year's Christmas bestseller, outperforming the likes of FIFA 13 and Halo 4 in the process.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Multiplayer screenshot

"From day one, we've pushed ourselves to make the best gaming experience of our lives and I am so incredibly proud with what this team has created with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2," said Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia.

"Our vision has been to deliver the complete package - something for every type of player. Beginning with the single player campaign, Treyarch introduces things that you've never seen in the Call of Duty franchise before, like branching storylines, non-linear missions and customising player load outs; or multiplayer, where we've re-written the rules."

Black Ops 2 is available on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC worldwide now, and on Wii U from November 18 in North America and November 30 in Europe.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep i'm sure we all saw this coming

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:25:11 AM PST
Nicos says:
Wow, I think this game is going to be the sleeper hit of 2012. Strong word of mouth must have really helped move a lot of copies.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:38:57 AM PST
I'm surprised how year after year; people complain that the game is exactly the same as before and yet sells more copies than each previous year. I'm sure the game's fun (I haven't played any of the recent titles), but it's still shocking.

I actually thought, with all the negative talk about using the same game engine, that this year would start the steady decline of the series. People just love their Call of Duty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:40:11 AM PST
This year that actually made some changes to most things, with the addition to 'future' warfare. So there was quite a few big changes this release.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:01:01 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
This is shocking news, said nobody.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:03:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:03:53 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm sure many people , the vocal minority will be disappointed. Feels and nearly looks the same CoD, thru and thru. The MP feels like Blops and MW3 had a baby, some great maps. Haven't touched the SP or Zombies yet.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:04:49 AM PST
I haven't played a CoD Game since 4, and I'm considering giving this a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:05:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:06:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Fight the crushing, public peer-pressure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:08:27 AM PST
I don't feel any peer-pressure. I'm just curious is all. Everyone seems to like it.

Atm I just don't have time for it, I have waaaay to many other games on my plate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:08:53 AM PST
Ice King says:
The last one I played was Call of Duty 2 (well, I tried Modern Warfare but not much), so this game is entirely new to me. I'm really enjoying it so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:10:31 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
2 was the last one I played to completion. I played 4 SP and MP: I never finished SP in MW4, and MP I only got to level 16 before being bored. I'd like to give it a try, but I don't want to get really bored with the MP again, and I won't spend money on map packs, so once the majority of people move on to map packs, I'll have a useless game.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:16:02 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Is "biggest entertainment launch" measured in units sold, dollars raked in, or is it just a catchy headline?

Either way, I'm always glad to see CoD make the news every year because yay videogames.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:26:16 AM PST
Yep. I am actually loving this iteration of CoD. Granted I have ended up buying all CoDs at some point, whether it be release day or price drop. I actually made the decision to get this release day and am super happy with the purchase so far.

I have only played TDM, but was messing around with the customizations and it is great!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:26:32 AM PST
Hey! Pipe down over there!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:49:08 AM PST
Seems many buyers are unhappy, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:18:39 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
MW4? Are you one of those future spacemen that come back in time to talk trash about future games that haven't been released yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:00:04 AM PST
I have been enjoying the MP so far. had some server issues last night, but got into a good amount of games after that was resolved. still getting the feel for it, but it will be hard to ditch halo 4 for this. i have been having a great time with halo 4 MP.

i played a little zombies last night, and it seems pretty awesome so far. didnt get very far, but i have enjoyed the additions to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:03:00 AM PST
Am glad you like it Drizz. It's not for me, but more games the better I say.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:07:16 AM PST
I passed on picking this up because of Halo 4....Halo's multiplayer is again fun (I detested Reach)

As for Blops 2.....I will at least play through the campaign and may dabble in the multiplayer...I just don't see it having enough draw to pull me away from Halo 4....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:08:31 AM PST
i can understand. i didnt really enjoy MW3, and stuck with blops for a second year. im still trying to figure out this pick 10 thing.

i dont think ill be playing this as much as i did with blops and MW2, but so far i feel it is an improvement over MW3. i hated the MW3 maps, and so far these seem pretty good

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:24:36 AM PST
L says:
I figured MW3 would be the high water mark for the COD franchise in terms of sales. This is impressive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions