Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Spike Lee Outraged over Django Unchained

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 214 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2012 12:49:18 PM PST
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/spike-lee-outraged-django-unchained-article-1.1226762?localLinksEnabled=false

-------------------------------------

Spike Lee thinks Quentin Tarantino's new slavery revenge flick "Django Unchained" is the wrong thing.

The famed "He Got Game" director says he's boycotting the new movie because he finds it insulting.

"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them," he wrote on Twitter.

The tweet came shortly after he told VibeTV he couldn't comment on the movie starring Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio because he decided not to see it.

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it. I'm not seeing it," he said in a video interview.

"All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film. That's the only thing I'm gonna say," he explained. "I can't disrespect my ancestors. I can't do it. Now, that's me. I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself. I can't do it."

Lee, 55, even tangled with another Twitter user who took issue with his Holocaust comparison.

"The goal of the holocaust was death and destruction; the goal of American slavery was tobacco, indigo, rice, and cotton," a post from a user called Rogue Academic read.

"Like Slaves Didn't Die? What Kind Of Academic Are You? And George Washington Didn't Own Slaves Too?" Lee responded.

Tarantino, 49, has been the subject of Lee's ire before.

Lee criticized the "Pulp Fiction" director for his liberal use of the n-word in his third feature film, "Jackie Brown," a 1997 movie starring Samuel L. Jackson and paying homage to the blaxploitation films of the 1970s.

"I'm not against the word. And some people speak that way. But Quentin is infatuated with that word," Lee said of Tarantino in an interview with Variety.

"What does he want to be made, an honorary black man?" the "Do The Right Thing" director asked. "I want Quentin to know that all African-Americans do not think that word is trendy or slick."

-------------------------------------

Thoughts on this? Me, personally, I'm taking a neutral stance on this issue right now.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:52:30 PM PST
new Tron says:
He should at least see the movie before judging it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:53:50 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Neutral? Not me, I will be seeing this in the theater as soon as I get a chance. Probably this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:54:15 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Judging from the trailers and heavily anti-slavery stance the movie is taking, I think that Lee probably ought to see the movie before he speaks up on it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:55:29 PM PST
Chris... says:
I wonder how much they had to pay Spike Lee to create this fake controversy in order to build up interest for the film.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:55:39 PM PST
Spike Lee can talk when he becomes relevant again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:56:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:57:08 PM PST
I'm not much of a Tarantino fan, but this guy honestly just sounds like he's whining for the sake of the attention; and if he believes half of what he's saying (equating American slavery with the holocaust?) he's also out of his mind.

I've always been of the opinion that the great majority of people who set themselves up to speak on behalf of a race are racist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:56:54 PM PST
He was relevant before?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:57:43 PM PST
"Jesse Jackson is not the Emperor of black people!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:58:13 PM PST
"Do The Right Thing" was pretty major.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 12:59:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 1:00:04 PM PST
I looked it up on Wikipedia. Seems like it was before my time, this is my first time hearing about it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:00:30 PM PST
Since the Knicks are playing well, it looks like Spike Lee needed something else to whine about.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:01:55 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
25th Hour was OK. Tarantino is the better director by leaps and bounds IMO.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:03:51 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Let me know when Spike Lee isnt outraged about something.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:04:41 PM PST
It's no surprise this movie was going to get some kind of either criticism or public negativity, what Tarantino movie hasn't really?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:08:42 PM PST
That one with Christian Slater.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:09:43 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
True Romance?
controversy over Gary Oldman's character.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:11:37 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Dennis Hopper has a scene Im sure Spike Lee loves too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:13:58 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Well unless slavery retroactively doesn't happen, he'll never stop being outraged.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:19:28 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
I agree. I remember watching an interview with him some 20 years ago where he said he didnt respect his father because his father had married a white woman.
To me, Spike Lee is the ultimate in hypocritical jacks. Hateful, full of carp, and completely racist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:20:04 PM PST
I'm surprised he doesn't get upset about every time traveling movie then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:20:39 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Yep, that one was a classic. Really though, any scene that has Walken in it has the potential for being an instant classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:21:22 PM PST
I do wonder how much of his schtick is an act though, a la Hooper X (that's the name, right?) from Chasing Amy. It seems like he's been doing the militant black guy for so long that he doesn't really know what else to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:23:51 PM PST
Ice King says:
Why does Spike TV have a guy named after the channel?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:25:45 PM PST
Spike Lee has always walked the thin line of activist to almost committed racist, but I think he knows when to toe the line to keep his position in the Hollywood way of life.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions