Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

When people say, "This game is so satisfying"...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 11:56:09 AM PST
Maybe I'm not as young as you new kids, but what the hell does that mean? Can someone explain it to me? Is it the same as saying, "this game is so fun"? I was watching the Top 100 games on G4 and so many people were like, "oh the mechanics were so satisfying" or "the gameplay is so satisfying".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:59:11 AM PST
I guess, for some people, video games are their entire life. So, they hang their emotional peaks and platitudes on video games and their experience with them. For the majority, though, gaming is just a hobby. It's something fun to do when you really don't have anything else to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:59:22 AM PST
JWK says:
I know what you're trying to ask. And yes. We're doing the nasty with the optical disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:59:51 AM PST
JWK says:
Yeah, what prisoner 24601 said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:00:37 PM PST
jtshiel says:
When I say a game is satisfying I mean that I just rubbed one out without rubbing while playing the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:01:03 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That's quite a leap of logic there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:01:29 PM PST
Oh no, you're back? Wonderful.

@OP: I think it's like the difference between playing Gears of War versus some cell phone game. When you line up the shots and pull the trigger in Gears and baddies get hid and rock back from the impact, it's just a satisfying feeling. Instead of the feeling when playing a touchscreen game, where you got something done, but there was no feeling to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 12:03:41 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
sat·is·fy [sat-is-fahy] verb, sat·is·fied, sat·is·fy·ing.
verb (used with object)

1. to fulfill the desires, expectations, needs, or demands of (a person, the mind, etc.); give full contentment to: The hearty meal satisfied him.

2. to do the nasty with the optical disc: Halo 4 satisfied M. like no other game could.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:33 PM PST
klopas says:
The satisfaction they're mentioning relates to the pleasurable neurotransmitters that fire when playing great video games. Geez...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:38 PM PST
That it tastes good and quite filling.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:02:47 PM PST
Error says:
The satisfaction comes from well implemented mechanics and or gameplay which further a sense of immersion and/or visceral reaction to what plays out on your screen.

Or maybe it's just code for nerd boNers/gasms.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:05:43 PM PST
That's what she said.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:13:09 PM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
It means they successfully forgot about their pathetic lives for a brief, sweet moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:25:54 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Amazing.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:26:36 PM PST
My games "satisfy" me all the time

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:27:25 PM PST
Timski says:
When i find a game satisfying, it is because playing it momentarily quells the ever-burning desire to maim and kill using crowbars, chainsaws and hypodermic needle guns; but only for a moment. Just a fleeting moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:28:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 8, 2013 1:48:56 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:29:01 PM PST
I'm guessing that your job has you working with the public.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:39:32 PM PST
I'd rather have a hypodermic needle gun and not need it than need it and not have my hypodermic needle gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:47:16 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Probably insurance.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:54:03 PM PST
LogJam says:
In Soviet Russia, cartridge blows YOU!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 12:55:59 PM PST
If only...

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:06:38 PM PST
I can enjoy a game, but I use the term "satisfying" to describe mechanics or gameplay. Like in SPOICE MUHREEN!, melee combat is hard-hitting, brutal, and satisfying. In Demon's Souls, pulling off some skillful maneuvers against a boss is really satisfying.

I really liked The Walking Dead, but the game wasn't "satisfying" to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 1:13:12 PM PST
Note to self, gaming in russia is DEFINITIVE!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:17:18 PM PST
Ok - so I got some good responses and some wacky responses and I think I kind of get it now. Fun != Satisfying as you could also call a movie "fun" but you wouldn't get the satisfaction of fun mixed with immersion from the gameplay...is that right?

So a game like SimCity can never be satisfying since it's all mouse clicks and strategy but a game like Halo can since you're looking through the eyes of a soldier using knee-jerk reactions in the midst of combat...

THANKS VGF - YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions