Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

iPad 3 or PS Vita: you make the call

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 1:43:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:46:29 PM PST
Right now, Best Buy has a $50 gift card with a CoD Vita bundle purchase.

It's tempting.

I also want an iPad 3, though, as I'm balls deep in the Apple ecosystem.

So, help me decide.

And, before you bring up the obvious solution: no, I can only choose one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:44:32 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Lair

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:44:51 PM PST
jtshiel says:
Emmet Graves

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:45:13 PM PST
Sounds like you already own numerous Apple devices. I would get the Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:45:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:47:40 PM PST
Ice King says:
I'd choose the iPad. I have both and my iPad gets used daily while my Vita has been sitting on my desk for weeks at a time. You should still get a Vita at some point, but I think if you can only get one the iPad is the way to go.
Unless you have an iPad 2 already, it's not a major leap in technology.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:45:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:46:17 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
That's an impossible comparison. Why not ask if you want a snowboard or a camera?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:46:13 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I'd prefer my angus get peppered by a professional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:47:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:50:04 PM PST
I don't have an iPad at all, but I have an iPhone, and an Apple TV (and possibly an iMac soon). I also use iTunes pretty much exclusively for my media consumption (save for Netflix and Spotify). Also, the games on the iPad are pretty high quality and most of them are only a buck or two.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:47:55 PM PST
Gamer Dude says:
I'd personally get the PS Vita. At least it won't be outdated by another model every few months, unlike Apple products.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:49:59 PM PST
Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:50:36 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
iPad games are fun but they aren't anywhere near what's on a dedicated console IMHO.

I love my Vita, but I also use the iPad almost daily - it's become my "instant internet" box.

Tough call either way.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:51:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:52:01 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
If you have one Apple device, you have one too many already.

Get the Vita.

My iPad is good for surfing amazon, thats about it on my end...and my Vita can do that. My wife still uses her iPhone 99% of the time while at home. My kids just play free games on it most of the time it is in use.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:51:54 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
They are both consumption devices, so prioritize what type of content you want to consume more (videogames, general reading material, music, video, or whatever) and purchase the one that is more logical.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:53:38 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I know I'm the exception, but my tablet usually never gets touched when I'm at home. I own it for use at work. It plays videos and keeps me from going insane during my dull projects. Last night was the first time I used it at home in two weeks or more, I was reading a book on it. I don't do this often. Call me crazy, but I still prefer the feel of a dead tree in my hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:55:07 PM PST
I don't know man, I have the latest NFS game, "Most Wanted", on my iPhone and it's pretty amazing. Not to mention titles like: Rayman: Jungle Run; Asphalt; Dead Space; Mass Effect, etc etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:55:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:56:14 PM PST
Ice King says:
Do you wear a robe and smoke a pipe while reading your books, grandpa? And how do you keep your place in the book when you have to get up to yell at the kids for playing on your damn lawn?
;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:57:06 PM PST
Same here. I have a few books on my Kindle app, but I like having the physical book more. It's the curmudgeon in me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:58:00 PM PST
JWK says:
lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:58:49 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I give it up as a lost cause when it comes to kids on my lawn. I tend to throw the thick, leather bound volume I was reading at the unruly children. When they come back a second time I coat them in the fine brandy I was drinking while reading my tomes and set them on fire. After the second time they usually don't return.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:00:47 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
I knew those encyclopedias had a use.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:01:19 PM PST
JWK says:
If you're buying it with gaming in mind, buy the system with buttons.

I don't own a Vita and I have an iPad 2. And yes, many of the games are very good and they're very cheap. But even some of the really good games are unsatisfying due to virtual buttons. Adventure games, puzzle games, and strategy games shine on the iPad. Everything else is far better on a Vita.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:03:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:05:11 PM PST
Lucanus says:
If you want a deciated gaming device than go Vita. If you want a small light weight computer replacement go with the iPad. I personally use my iPad for everything and no longer need a desktop. For me there isn't a portable gaming device that would get used as much as my iPad. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:03:40 PM PST
I'm not buying it exclusively with gaming in mind, but that is a factor.

I'm torn, because I like the Vita but it has limited capabilities. You can play games, watch Netflix, get on Facebook, and that's about it.

With the iPad I can play games that are almost the same quality as a Vita game, plus I can surf the web, watch Netflix, Facebook, banking, reading, etc, etc. The possibilities are endless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:05:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:06:08 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You exercised some real patience there, waiting until the end of the first page to bait the trap.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:05:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:06:19 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
If I didn't have either, but had the knowledge I now have after owning both, I can safely say I would pick the iPad over the Vita with the firm intention of getting the Vita down the road.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions