Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Violence Over Gameplay

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 7:41:57 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Is extreme violence really necessary in games for them to be fun?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:44:25 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Give me an example of extreme violence in your opinion?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:45:07 AM PST
LogJam says:
Is pretending to be a chick on a video game forum really necessary?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:48:08 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Yes.

/thread

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:48:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:49:26 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Ok, a game like Call of Duty. Basiclaly any game where the main character has to kill actuall people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:50:19 AM PST
FOGE says:
I want realism. WHen bullets hit a body, and I dont see blood, it breaks the immersion for me.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:53:23 AM PST
Home Fried says:
I'm fine with just some animated blood just so I know I hit my target.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:53:59 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Why do game have to simulate killing people. Why can't they be focused on killing fake creatures. I think games that simulate killing people actually play into the logic that killing people is okay for survivial. Most of the vets who have killed actual people come back to war with mental issues. Having the ability to kill people in games can make killing people seem like no big deal to some individuals.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:55:55 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Thats not extreme violence though, extreme violence is some old fashioned soldier of fortune IMO blowing limbs off etc and yet that still did not bother me but i would still consider it extreme.

EXTREME= Over the top, or the game could have done without it and still achieved its goal.

Some people thought Dantes Inferno was extreme and a couple other games similiar.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:58:28 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
I don't know. I see extreme as trying to simulate real life and killings in real life. GTA is another game I view as extreme. If there are fake creatures getting their head blown off, I don't really see it as extreme because the creatures don't exist in real life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:04:22 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yes. I enjoy beating people to death with dildo bats or their own appendages. I thoroughly enjoy snapping necks in Metal Gear and sawing heads off with piano wire in Manhunt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:05:28 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Just because they are human analogs doesn't mean that the majority of people who play violent video games will get so bored with the games that they then have to act out those scenarios with real people by really killing them. Tis folly to think this way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:07:16 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
They aren't actual people. It's a video game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:07:25 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
How many people on here were making jokes about the recent school shooting? There are several threads on here showing people are insenstivie or just don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:09:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
There is no proof that it's the video games that have desensitized them. It could be that they were desensitized by 10 years of war horrors, 9/11, all the killings and raping that goes on in this country, but lets draw the line from every tragedy and skip over all the sensible stuff and take that line right to video games.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:10:24 AM PST
Coffee says:
Manhunt. The entire premise of that game was to survive a snuff film. The lack of violence in that game would have totally ruined it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:12:54 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
I do think movies also play a big part. People hear about the recent school shooting and think it is no big deal and life will go on. How often does someone really witness a raping or a killing in real life? I was reading a study, I wish I could find it online, about how watching TV, listening to music, and playing video games creates changes in the brain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:23:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm pretty sure that if you found that "study" it would be nothing but junk science.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:25:53 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm a big fan of Extreme Violins.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:26:37 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Every study could be considered junk science especially the ones on animals.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:28:23 AM PST
FOGE says:
I think its up to the individual as to whether or not they can handle it. I really enjoy games that play out war time events and post apocalyptic scenarios. Again, I want realism so I want the appropriate enemy.

Also, to your point. I recently had a revelation. One of the reasons, Mass Effect is one of my favorite games is because you are largely killing the Geth (robotic organisms) so I dont feel remorse for killing them. I also tend to save lives or spare lives whenever possible in that game. I dont get jollies out of killing people, except for terrorist, communists, pirates, ninjas, murderers... you get the point. I prefer killing Geth or zombies to people.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:32:01 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Again games are entertainment they put you in the character of someone and you do things you could probably never do in real life. Take dishonored thats can be pretty violent but when i play it i am into the story i was betrayed and how would i feel in that time if that happened to me so when i do all those things its just part of the fun to me. Not like i ever have the though to put down my controller blink across the stree and slit a throat

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:34:57 AM PST
Pretty Lady says:
Although they are terrorist, communist, pirates, ninjas, murderes etc, they are still people. The mentality that you have is that it is okay to kill others if you view them as the emeny. This post just really proves my point about video games and violence.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:37:41 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Considering the people he listed for the majority would probably kill me without hesitation i would have no problem killing them if was put in a situation where it was me or them. I think anyone would agree they would too

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:37:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:38:15 AM PST
It's not that big of a deal, all you have to do is hit the reset button and all the guys you killed can come back to life, if you really feel that bad about it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Cinema Fan was arrested for burning, urinating on Bible 2 3 seconds ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 8544 13 seconds ago
Assassin's Creed IV is huuuuuuuuuuge 0 16 minutes ago
VGF "12 in 12" thread. A dozen games. 12 months. Time to step up. 767 21 minutes ago
Weekend Gaming 8/29 - 8/31 78 23 minutes ago
What is the single greatest game on PS4 right now? 88 37 minutes ago
Peggle 2 No Longer Xbox Exclusive, Coming To PlayStation 4 17 46 minutes ago
My boyfriend and I are looking for some fun, co op ps3 games 52 48 minutes ago
Worldwide Weekly Hardware Chart 23rd August 2014. PS4 Surpasses 10 Million Sold! Xbox One Struggles To Reach 5 Million 11 49 minutes ago
Just picked up a mint Xbox 360 MW2 Console w/ 250GB HDD and 3 controllers for $10 23 58 minutes ago
I Now Own a Playstation 4! 14 1 hour ago
Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS Footage 4 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions