Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

NRA Does Not Understand Irony, Releases iOS Shooting Game

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 188 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:46:34 AM PST
I am coming in late to this discussion. However, my thoughts are this:

In order to entirely strip someone of their right to possess a firearm, it is likely that some either judicial or administrative process will have to occur, with the right to appeal the decision either way. Right now, the individuals who are stripped of this right include: felons (obviously, they have been designated as felons through a judicial process) and the adjudicated mentally ill. The notion of "adjudicated mentally ill," in my state, means that someone has been through the involuntary commitment process and has been successfully committed by the State to a mental hospital. Merely being treated for depression or some other mental illness does not meet the definition.

So, two things would have to happen before your right is stripped: someone would have to file some sort of a petition alleging that your right should be stripped, and then there would be some burden of proof by which that allegation would have to be proved - probably by the proponent of the petition. Merely being treated, taking medications, etc., would, in my opinion, be inadequate to justify a decision to bar you from possession of firearms.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:28:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 8:29:12 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
Man, this thread is a lot less interesting coming through two days late.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:12:34 AM PST
FOGE says:
Those people are ok. Before they fire a gun, they must caress every bullet 7 times, reload the mag 3 times, tap the buttstock on the floor 10 times and point the gun due east 12 times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:08:03 AM PST
I keep my gun well maintained.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:40:52 AM PST
It's enough to ensure the gun will be really well maintained.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 4:36:01 AM PST
They should absolutely clarify what they mean by that. I mean, is OCD enough to keep a gun out of a person's hands?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 1:08:30 AM PST
Riyoshi says:
Shoot an apple from their head, to proof that you can kill them, but you won't...because you're responsible, you know...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:57:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
As a gun owner who suffers from (and has been treated for mental illness) I feel like I'm being singled out a bit here.

I mean, I'm not dangerous to anybody! But how am I to convince the government about this? :(

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:41:08 PM PST
K. Wendt says:
Hypocrites...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:55:04 PM PST
Kr155 says:
No executive order to kick down the doors of known gun owners and take thier guns by force? I thought this was supposed to be impeachable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:34:41 PM PST
He most likely would have just used more mags.

Yes, he would waste more time changing mags. However, the amount of time to change mags is probably not particularly dependent on how many rounds it carries. If it takes him 2-3 seconds to change a 30-round mag and 2-3 seconds to change a 10-round mag, and the police response time remains a constant...yeah, it's fuzzy math.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:30:28 PM PST
Okay good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:20:50 AM PST
Nobody would be okay with that unfortunately, you'd have to waste more of the taxpayers hard earned tax money on those greedy police officers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:19:04 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I know that Nate, me too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:16:55 AM PST
FOGE says:
A senator on the radio this morning thought that 10 lives would be saved had the shooter at Newtown had 10 round mags. The math behind this escapes me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:14:47 AM PST
The cap in mag sizes is such a ridiculous non-issue.

If you want to really save lives, try to decrease emergency response time. Those 2-3 seconds for a mag change aren't going to help anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:13:31 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
OMG so brilliant!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:12:23 AM PST
Or the fact that they are still up is a pretty good indicator that they know removing them would make the conspiracy even more obvious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:10:26 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, I agree. Unless these get misused in a way that I m not really seeing, then its no big deal. I disagree with the Assault weapon ban and hi cap mag ban but at least it has to go through congress. Doing an executive order on those would have been over the line.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:09:04 AM PST
I can't see any real issue with any of these.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:08:32 AM PST
I was joking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:06:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:07:08 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Okay so there's some stuff about mental health in there, just no real changes. Sounds like some reminders, clarifications, and additional studies for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:04:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:04:15 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The fact that the articles are still up should be a pretty good indicator that they AREN'T part of a conspiracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:01:56 AM PST
Soulshine says:
They make pills for that too. You're supposed to call a doctor if they make you man up for more than 4 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:01:05 AM PST
FOGE says:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/16/list-executive-actions-obama-plans-to-take-as-part-anti-gun-violence-plan/

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New Xbox Live GT Suggestions? 8 1 minute ago
Face-Off: Dragon Age: Inquisition 0 2 minutes ago
OT:What are some good thanksgiving movies? 26 5 minutes ago
What do you think of the Xbox One? 1 5 minutes ago
Just how outdated are the PS4 and Xbox One? (Answer: Big Time!) 25 8 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 4504 8 minutes ago
MSFT now second 2nd most valuable company 103 15 minutes ago
Eurogamer writes damning PS4 article 210 15 minutes ago
XOne burning up the charts since the $50 price cut. Sony Prophet is very upset and losing sleep 118 16 minutes ago
I.Flores: " Killzone runs 1080p 60fps without a hitch" 115 18 minutes ago
Sony is going bankrupt by pricing themselves out of existence and making subpar games like the last of us. 46 19 minutes ago
Sony being being sued for "Deceptive Marketing" regarding Killzone 3 Resolution 156 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  188
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions