Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Fast-food workers walk out in N.Y. amid rising U.S. labor unrest

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 9:01:32 AM PST
NEW YORK - Workers at a handful of New York City fast-food outlets are picketing to demand higher wages and the right to join a union.

A spokesman for the union drive says the first picket line was set up Thursday morning at a McDonald's in mid-Manhattan. There will be additional picket lines throughout the day.

The workers say they're fighting for a living wage of $15 an hour.

The state Labor Department says median pay for fast-food workers in New York City is about $9 an hour.

According to The New York Times (http://nyti.ms/TmGJTW ), McDonald's said in a statement that it values its employees and remains committed to them.

Union drives have been rare at fast-food restaurants because turnover is high and few employees work full time.

----------------------

$15 an hour. REALLY? Are you kidding me? I might have had some sympathy if they wanted a dollar or two increase. But they're wanting double their pay for working in fast food. I hope these ass clowns loose their jobs. You don't deserve that kind of money for flipping burgers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:02:38 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Last I heard you can make that working at fast food in Williston, ND.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:03:13 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
I will work at McDonalds for $15/hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:03:40 AM PST
Voice of god says:
$15 an hour in Manhattan is like minimum wage most other places.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:05:01 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The worst strike ever, because now people can only benefit from a strike like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:05:42 AM PST
I've been at my job forever and I still don't make $15 an hour. I know it depends on your state and what the cost of living is. But If I had 40 hours a week at $15 an hour, I would feel like a rich bastard.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:06:39 AM PST
Looks like the Wal-Mart strikes have inspired some other walkouts, heh.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:07:12 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Get the F out of here, I barley crossed the $15 dollar mark. You want to make more money, then go get a degree and get out of the fast food business.

Pffff if I could get paid $15 to flip burgers, I'd be out of the office business real quick.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:07:14 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
This really all depends on where you live as well. $15 would seem like a ton in some states but I can imagine that in New York $15 is barely anything.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:08:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:10:32 AM PST
K Archer says:
TBH, I don't think they should be earning much more then minimum wage (maybe up to $11 an hour) in a job where the "turnover is high and few employees work full time". Skill-less labor isn't something that earns money...that's why its skill-less; anyone can do it. You are easily replaceable.

Yeah, its not the easiest to find a good job right now, but you can't expect to really do well just working fast food (at least until you get higher up on the totem pole)

EDIT: And yeah, I know $15 an hour isn't much in NYC, but seriously, you're still flipping burgers, and there are other jobs that require more skill but still don't pay that much in the city.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:09:21 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
Well, they probably set that mark so they have some room for negotiating... curious to see the results. Hopefully Mickey D's doesn't go all Reagan on their @$$&$...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:09:59 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I'd love 15 an hour. I took a pay cut to take my current job but it's stress free, so I consider that an acceptable swap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:11:17 AM PST
Keller says:
You took the words out of my mouth. I don't know what other people make, but living on $15 an hour with little to no benefits would scare the heck out of me. I can't imagine actually living on minimum wage, especially in NY.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:12:01 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
They don't have to live there. Move to a smaller town where living costs are lower. Much of the blame falls on them.

If you don't go to school. If you don't get a higher education. If you can't get a high paying job....don't live in a high cost city.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:12:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:13:24 AM PST
Here's a few tips for these workers:

Get a second job, go to school, or find a better job.

Where I live minimum wage (which McDonalds starts people out at) is around $7 which certainly isn't enough for a head of household.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:12:15 AM PST
Keller says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:12:50 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I love it when poor people get angry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:13:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:49 AM PST
Keller says:
Moving isn't free and easy. I just moved from Cincinnati to Memphis. The cost for everything was over 10k. Admittingly I probably have a ton of stuff that a burger flipper doesn't. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:13:56 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Where you live makes a big difference. Cost of living where I am is low, but if I moved about an hour south, maybe an hour and a half, it'd be much higher. Then again, if my job were located there instead of here I'd also be earning more.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:14:15 AM PST
$15 an hour in NYC for a job where they probably refuse to put you full time because they'd be forced into providing more benefits seems fair. In fact that's still probably in the 'I need a 2nd job' catagory for trying to get by in NYC.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:07 AM PST
K Archer says:
It depends on where you live. In some places, you can live very well on $15 an hour. Others...you need to be making at least that much to just make ends meet.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:08 AM PST
klopas says:
I got paid a measily $7.50/hour working at Dell for my first summer job. I understand NYC is expensive, but dang!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:10 AM PST
Keller says:
Mind if I ask where you live? I live in Collierville, which is on the cheaper side. I just can't imagine $15 an hour being much. But apparently I am a spoiled a-hole. Hopefully I haven't offended anybody. I give credit to those who can manage on sub $20 an hour. :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:22 AM PST
Smarty says:
I used a Cost of Living Index to calculate what $8 an hour in Tampa, FL would be in NY,NY. $8 is a pretty reasonable, survivable pay in Tampa. You wont be living large, but with a budget you have some left over for a little fun. The CoL increase was 148% from Tampa to NY. Using that figure $8 in Tampa would be $11.84 in NY. If I do the reverse on their desired pay, the $15 would be just over $10 in Tampa. $10/Hour is average pay around here for cooks in a real restaurant. Managers at fast food restaurants might start to make that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:16:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:37:48 AM PST
"$15 an hour in NYC for a job where they probably refuse to put you full time because they'd be forced into providing more benefits "

...McDonald's and benefits? Hah!

I was a manger at McDonalds when I was 18 yrs old and benefits (other than holiday pay) were non-existent.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
How Might PS4 Dominance Change The Industry? 4 6 minutes ago
OT: Vegas 28 10 minutes ago
Dynamite Alex is now on Google Play 2 24 minutes ago
FACT: Xbox One has a better Fall/Holiday lineup compared to the ps4! 71 28 minutes ago
ot: the fifa 2014 world cup 969 36 minutes ago
OT: Lebron back to Cleveland 97 40 minutes ago
UH OH! Is Something Strange Brewing At Microsoft? Xbox One Future In Jeopardy? 4 50 minutes ago
OT: Her bewbs may not be much to write home about, but she gives one great Amazon Monkeybar 9320 52 minutes ago
FO4 will not be at Gamescon regardless of rumors, per Pete Hines 15 53 minutes ago
Global Top Sellers 28th June 2014 Software 19 1 hour ago
Do You Feel Ripped Off You Bought A Xbox One? Destiny PS4 And PS3 DLC Is Exclusive For One Year 69 1 hour ago
I kind of wish I'd gotten an Xbox One over PS4.... 53 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions