Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Reasons I dislike IGN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 7:58:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 7:59:23 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
* Annoying comments (easily avoidable thank goodnes)

* Over saturation of already over saturated games. Assasin's Creed 4 is getting more coverage than anything right now while dozens of games get completely ignored on IGN and most other major/decent sized video game websites. It's no wonder why most games don't sell and the rest ship millions easily

* Too many intern/freelance/random people reviewing important games. Most people see an IGN review as fact and don't care what individual actually did it. They just say "well IGN gave it a 3 so it sucks" Too many people base too much on these reviews for any game that isn't a major franchise to get reviewed by someone the readers don't even know. They have plenty of money so I'm sure they can easily get more permanent staff instead of just Greg & Colin being the main characters in this show. If anything these freelancers and random everyday men could at least review some of the dozens of games that get released every month and don't get any media attention

*They pass too many rumors off as fact, then once the real facts come out they ignore what they already established before. Really annoying if you don't go on the website every day. Some people still think the PS4 will be called the Orbis and won't play used games and will require a constant online connection. I know sometimes they imply that things are a rumor or that it isn't fact or fiction but TONS of people don't read the full article and even more just skim over everything

* PC exclusive games get no attention at all unless its's The Sims or Sim City. Sure you can say it's tailored to consoles but IGN tries to tailor towards media in general. They even cover wrestling and comic books and they get more attention than anything on PC.

* The article placement can be annoying at times. The Wii U doesn't have much going on right now but I still shouldn't be seeing articles about Journey (A Playstation Network exclusive) having news under the section dedicated to the Wii U. Also the same 5 Articles for one game don't have any reason to be under every game systems section if it's already on the home page, that's overkill.

*Playstation gets a podcast but none of the other staff want to make a podcast for any other game system? I'm sure Xbox fans would love one.

*Another thing about the reviews is that sometimes I feel like part of the development staff is trying to sell me the game instead of someone is trying to tell me the pros and cons of the game. You can refer to the Journey and the Fire Emblem awakening review for that. They're good games I know but they still deserve the same critique a game getting a 7 would get.

*The blond that does some of the various videos just seems to be there to look pretty and smile. If she does something that takes talent someone please let me know. It's a stupid thing to complain about I know, but it's 2013 and what seems like the only woman working for IGN is doing this? Come on

Why am I complaining about IGN but I still go there? Well it's organized, up to date, doesn't feel old fashioned and they try to make you get to know some of the people there even if it's the same 3 or 4 people over and over. It's like Walmart really, I hate going there but at the end of the day I still do, these are just some of the thoughts that always go through my head when I'm there

By the way my Tomb Raider review is live today on the PS3 section

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:12:37 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
I may be in the minority here, but I actually agree with most of their reviews...

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:14:14 PM PST
ice grizzly says:
http://m.ign.com/podcasts

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:14:36 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Yea I figured this would get down votes pretty fast lol

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:16:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:17:21 PM PST
Jinglecell says:
Each system has their own writers. The Xbox writers are to blame for the Xbox not having a podcast.

I actually like IGN, especially in comparison to Gamespot. IGN delivers more news than anyone, and it's not only game related, it also has some tech news and movie news as well. Not to mention, most of the rumors that they post are only posted because they're pretty certain that they are true. The vast majority of "rumor alerts" they've posted have turned out to be true.

IGN is usually the first source of information in terms of gaming, they really stay on top of their stories. Heck, most days they'll post playstation related content HOURS before the Playstation Blog posts it. That really says something.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:16:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:17:24 PM PST
Voice of god says:
TL;DR version:

"Because I'm a gamer on the internet and IGN is a thing related to gaming."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:18:03 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Oh look a Nintendo podcast that I've never seen advertised on the site that only updates twice a month. Guess you proved me wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:19:57 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
Playstation blog updates everything late in general but I like IGN too but it's not a perfect website. It just seems to be the best one which is why I go there the most which is why I can come up with so much to complain about lol

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:31:16 PM PST
I never take reviews at heart, but I like IGN for the most part. I do like that they are generally enthusiastic about gaming, and their ratings reflect that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:05:07 PM PST
>>* The article placement can be annoying at times. The Wii U doesn't have much going on right now but I still shouldn't be seeing articles about Journey (A Playstation Network exclusive) having news under the section dedicated to the Wii U. Also the same 5 Articles for one game don't have any reason to be under every game systems section if it's already on the home page, that's overkill.<<

Agree with this. It'd be better if they're article/news section were better organized. Why is there news about Journey in the 3DS section?

Aside from that, my biggest gripe with IGN(and mentioned this in the Castlevania 3DS review thread), is the review scores. It seems like most games nowadays get either a 3-4 out of 10 or a 8-9 out of 10; it doesn't seem like there's much middle ground to their numbers. I don't really pay attention to critics' opinions anymore, but that's just something that's annoying.

Overall, IGN isn't a bad site. It's a good source for news and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:08:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 9:08:25 PM PST
I'll add my own two:

1. They do way too much video, to the exclusion of text. Many times I'm trying to gather information while watching TV, or while at work, etc, and videos aren't the best option. STOP WITH SO MUCH FREAKING VIDEO.

2. SO MANY GRAMMATICAL PROBLEMS. For a "professional" website, they need some darn editors. And it's awful stuff. In the HEADLINE: Does Tomb Raider Go To Far? Really? They don't know the difference between to and too? Of course, this goes to your point that they've now let most of their professional staff go and have brought on a bunch of amateurs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:09:38 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
even worse when it's a video that's a minute and 10 seconds with 50 seconds of actual information and a 30 second Call Of Duty ad before it lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:26:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 9:27:40 PM PST
I agree with basically everything, and some more.
(1) They encourage fanboy wars on their site with the occasional 'doomed' articles
(2) A PS3/4 writer (Moriarty) is sometimes trusted to write Nintendo articles and he always brings his negativity into those articles
(3) Comments are usually the only indicator that an 'article link' is actually an article and not a video

I still go there for news, but am starting to trust GameXplain more than IGN for reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:32:51 PM PST
Dj Chiszle says:
GameXplain? Never heard of them. I'll check it out
I like Giantbomb and Kotaku too but I mostly go there just to mess around and see the random articles and videos that are up

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:44:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 10:49:00 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
WTH? GameXplain only reviews Nintendo games, we're talking about gaming coverage in general here, get that silly fanboyism out of this discussion.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Moriarty is a die hard fan of the original Castlevania games and, you know, Playstation wasn't around at that time.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 10:45:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
I just assume I don't like IGN, because it's really mainstream and I have unusual taste in games. I've never actually bothered to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:28:34 AM PST
Take a chill pill, Dust. I only recently started watching them. I didn't realize they only covered Nintendo games, but they do it well IMO. I like their preview/review style better than IGN, most of the time.
BTW, I am not the only one that gets POed at Moriarty's Nintendo articles. A lot of other people complained about the way he insults N fans and the games in the IGN comments. His past doesn't really matter if he is trolling in the present.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:31:10 AM PST
Why not send this to IGN? We really don't care what you think of them.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:34:37 AM PST
jtshiel says:
What's wrong with 9GN?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:38:50 AM PST
Never let a review prevent you from buying anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:44:21 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
I know who this is. It's you Ryan Clements isn't it?

It's ok....you'll find a new job soon. I'm sure you will.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:45:56 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I'm chill bro, I just found hilarious that you promote a Nintendo-only review channel as an alternative for a huge gaming coverage company like IGN.
And your 3 complaints can be summarized by: You didn't like Moriarty giving a 3DS game a low score.

So next time, let's be more straightforward ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:48:49 AM PST
Too funny, the irony is killing me!

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:51:16 AM PST
GameXplain reviews more than nintendo, look in there review section

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:15:10 AM PST
Anthony says:
hipster.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions