Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Petition for at least one gay main character on disney channel.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 126 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 5:17:04 PM PDT
https://www.change.org/petitions/disney-channel-and-nickelodeon-have-at-least-one-gay-or-lesbian-main-character-on-one-of-your-shows?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20118&alert_id=KLMaXCIeXg_BhUIfQbvsu
I just got this in a email and I thought I should share.
I have nothing against gay or lesbian people but I think this is unnecessary.
You don't have show about teens or kids being openly heterosexual.
Let kids be kids. I didn't have to worry about this kind of stuff growing up.
How do my fellow VGFers feel about this?
(Feel free to sign)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:19:34 PM PDT
KrisCo says:
Because sexuality matters for a children's channel.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:22:14 PM PDT
It'll happen eventually. Disney's pretty conservative with this kind of stuff, just because of their tween market. There's a gay character in Archie comics though, so I can't imagine there'll be much time until Disney adds one too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:23:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 5:25:00 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well, for children's entertainment it's totally reasonable to have a character who (in the mind of the author or creators) has a specific sexual orientation, but just not have it come up in the text because the story doesn't deal really deal with romance (or at least romance involving that character.)

So there may already be gay and lesbian characters on various kid shows, it's just their gayness or lesbianity don't affect what happens in the show at all.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:23:46 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
i think Disney should just announce "We already have four (4) gay characters on our various shows."

and then never say which characters, just letting people guess. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:24:11 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<So there may already be gay and lesbian characters on various kid shows, it's just their gayness or lesbianity don't affect what happens in the show at all.>>

ninja'd. kind of, lol.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:24:13 PM PDT
joedirt says:
I agree with you. The LBGT community is getting very annoying. They are trying way to hard to puch their lifestyle choices on everyone and expect people just to sit back and take. Eventually people will come to their sense's and start to push back and say enough is enough. I do not really accept their lifestyle choice but thats the thing, its their choice. no one pushed it on them so i wish they would stop trying to push it on us.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:26:35 PM PDT
>>its their choice. no one pushed it on them

Yep. No one's tried to force a cultural norm on the LBGT people in the history of the world. You are right.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:27:04 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Like it or not, there's gay and lesbian people all around you. Nobody is forcing their lifestyle choices on you by existing. Saying "hey, why don't you reflect reality better" to someone creating television is hardly "forcing your lifestyle on anyone."

I mean, if black people were upset there aren't enough black people in big hollywood films, are they "forcing their lifestyle on you" or are they just pointing out that a perceived incongruity?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:28:54 PM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
Home is where you make it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:34:38 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Are you serious? Man and woman relationships are in every single show and movie ever so how's that not pushing it on me to be straight? A same sex relationship is nothing different than any other type of relationship and just because it's added into TV shows it does not mean it's being pushed on you. All that means is that being are trying to show that there isn't just one type of relationship out there.

If I'm telling you to have sex with a person of the same sex THEN I'm pushing it on you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:35:12 PM PDT
KrisCo says:
Sure, there may be some flamboyant characters, but none are openly saying gay or lesbian-ish verbiage, because it's not suited for a children's channel.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:35:59 PM PDT
K Archer says:
TBH, I don't think they have to say anything about any of their characters, unless it is absolutely necessary to the plot of the show (and even then, its a kids show...) Leave out all the sexuality details for all characters that do not have a story-driven relationship (if there are any at all); all of them. Then let people see what they want to.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:41:20 PM PDT
joedirt says:
I know they exist and i know several of them i am just tired of the "LBGT" specifically because here lately if a show or game does not include a homosexual then it offends them.

As far as reflecting society, the was the shows on TV depict it now adays they believe that most of society is gay. It has gotten to the point were almost every show has a homosexual in it whether it cals for it or not. the writes find some way to work it in to try and make everyone happy.

and let the downvotes begin again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:44:24 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Tell me how a man/woman relationship in a show has any more precedence than a same sex relationship does?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 5:53:16 PM PDT
joedirt says:
all i am saying if it adds to the show then fine, but if it has to be forced in there just so you can make a point than that is were i get aggrivated.

I am from the South and you do not se me complaining when they make southerns look like some backwood dumba**. Most of the time it makes a show or GAME funny

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:54:18 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well, I mean, Dumbledore is a gay character, but his sexual orientation really had very little to do with Harry's story.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 5:56:14 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Well you seem to be under the assumption that a gay character has to be forced upon a show to make sense which is just completely incorrect. You seem to more have an issue with watching it than anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:05:59 PM PDT
KrisCo says:
Sure, and that's fine for a PG movie.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:10:09 PM PDT
joedirt says:
No I watch it all the time and some of my favorite show have it in them. Like i said before it is when people try to get the author, developer, or whoever to force something in there that they would not put in themselfs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:12:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:14:11 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well, I mean, the things that make Harry Potter PG (instead of G) have nothing to do with Dumbledore's sexual orientation. His sexual orientation never actually enters into the story at all, the only reason we know is that the author told us "oh, by the way, Dumbledore's gay, always has been" and suddenly that thing with Grindlewald makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:13:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:19:54 PM PDT
Precedence....? I can tell you its way more the norm. Its not only about morals but obviously man and woman weren't created to mate with the same sex. Otherwise we would cease to exist.

Gays make less than 3% of the total population in the USA. That said, there aren't enough little people or Indians, or disable or interracial, etc. So where does it stop?

Make a gay show full of gays and all that want to watch it are free to do so. I dont see how making a character gay makes everything better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:20:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:20:40 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Morals have nothing to do with it at all unless you are trying to force your religious beliefs onto other people. Same sex relationships happen in nature so please let me know how it is unnatural? Just because you aren't comfortable with same sex couples doesn't make it immoral.

I normally don't think you are completely trollish, Doug, but your post shows that you really are.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:25:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 6:32:28 PM PDT
Morals have nothing to do with religion. As far as natural or normal goes, man and woman having sex is very normal. But just because it natural doesnt mean i want my kids expose to it.

But please tell me why does a subgroup population of less than 3% and actually it is closer to less than 2% of the total USA pop gets so much attention. They are much more subgroups that are way larger that get no media attention.

Heres why...because of $$$$

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 6:33:20 PM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Than where are you getting that a same sex relationship is immoral? If your basis for it being immoral is that a same sex couple can't bear a child then you could say the same thing about lots of heterosexual relationships since not everyone goes into a relationship just to have a child.

What percentage of media do you think is actually about same sex relationships? It's probably not even 10% of media so how is that getting so much attention?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions