Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Confirmed: You can play Wii U at work, school or in the operating room. No TV needed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 92 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:37:31 AM PST
or you can just ignore what I said and defend nintend0e...but whats new. You always defend nintend0e...lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:38:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:40:16 AM PST
Lucanus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:40:24 AM PST
no I only need it when my system is not near the modem... but if its next to the modem, then why would I want it hook up via Wifi?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:43:21 AM PST
"But they could have probably slapped an ethernet port in there at a relatively low cost."

I don't think it was an issue of cost this time around but rather space. Nintendo was very keen on making sure the Wii-U was around the same size as the Wii and this is something I've seen a bunch of sites comment on and are actually impressed by. Perhaps adding an Ethernet port would have forced them to increase the size of the console or change the layout of the circuit board so it left out?

In Japan they are very space minded when it comes to consoles and often complain about the size of the older consoles. When you've got limited space in your home for a TV entertainment setup you don't want a huge console taking up space. I'm thinking this had more to do with it than cost did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:43:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:44:38 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
And I'll find that a bit disappointing if those launch without them as well. Most of my stuff is wireless, but all my devices near the router are wired. Since they're in such close proximity, it just makes sense to plug them in for that extra speed/stability.

Not the biggest deal, of course, just a nice choice to have.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:44:57 AM PST
M Lewis says:
I'll just use the same ethernet adapter that I'm currently using for the Wii and make the Wii wireless instead.

I second the space argument. I saw the console recently at a local Best Buy. Very similar in size to the Wii, maybe just a bit longer in depth. Very compact.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:47:31 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I didn't think of that. I'm in the exact opposite camp there. I'd rather have a bulky console but I've got plenty of space for that stuff.

So how will the ethernet adapter work - what does that plug into?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:49:36 AM PST
Well you gotta remember Nintendo is a Japan based company so they have that mindset right out the gate when building a console. Part of the portables are so big in Japan is because they are huge space savers.

The Ethernet port adapter plugs into the USB port and is just a little dongle device that will sit behind the console.

HDE (TM) Ethernet LAN Adapter for Nintendo Wii USB Port

Here's one for $8.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:53:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:55:02 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I agree. I do the same as well. My theater is wired since my router is in the theater and my living room is wireless. In terms of speed I do think wired is a bit faster in regards to Netflix, but with gaming I haven't noticed a difference. Overall I'd say this news is slightly disappointing, but certainly not something to go crazy over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:54:45 AM PST
M Lewis says:
yep, that's very similar to the one I use. You just plug it into the USB port and then go into the connection settings and choose a wired instead of a wireless connection. Simple and easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:54:58 AM PST
Soulshine says:
That's certainly reasonable and I understand why they wouldn't throw one in the box if most people aren't going to use them. I also think that if they're going to choose one or the other, then going wireless is the better choice for the consumer.

It would be better to include both, but I get why Nintendo would make that design choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:03:53 AM PST
I'm going wireless with my Wii-U because my modem and router are in my bedroom with my PC so my choice is rather limited lol.

@ Soulshine

I agree that it would have been nice to seen it included but wireless was the route to go if you had to choose one or the other. This is definitely the cheaper option to purchase if you have to make a purchase instead of buying a wireless card like Microsoft went. Since it has wireless N going WiFi shouldn't really cause any issues in terms of lag but then again that all depends on your home, the layout, and how it was built. I live in a rather new building so the walls are thin inside so signal won't be an issue for me.

Like I said before the only time I see lag on any console using WiFi is the PS3 with Netflix if I've got something else downloading on my PC otherwise it runs just fine.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:09:02 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Not too knock Nintendo, but does anybody think they will actually provide a high end online competitive network that requires the very best speeds? I don't. My guess is their online service will be a joke compared to XBL.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:35:10 AM PST
Flores. says:
<<The Wii didn't have ethernet either>>

There really wasn't a reason for it to have ethernet, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:55:59 AM PST
Lucanus says:
IMHO, there isn't a reason for anything to have ethernet anymore. Heck my AV Receiver is frickin wireless.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 4:16:39 PM PST
Dracthor says:
I would rather pay 20$ for an ethernet adapter than 60$ for a wireless one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:02:48 PM PST
Gameresq says:
I bought a wireless router at Walmart for $25

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:40:46 PM PST
That's the same as the Wii, why would it surprise you? It's not a fail, I wouldn't want to use an Ethernet port anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:43:03 PM PST
What do your kids have to do with it? You could still play it yourself, and then let your kids play when they get off probation. Why let your kids punish yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:44:28 PM PST
Almost everyone has a WiFi router. How else do you connect your laptops, cell phones, kindle fires, and everything else? Go buy a darn router already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:46:48 PM PST
That's what a 3DS is for. You don't really need both.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:47:44 PM PST
If you can be bothered to run a new Ethernet cable for this thing, you can buy a $10 usb adapter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:52:01 PM PST
You do have that choice, right after you buy a $10 USB adapter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:54:27 PM PST
Get some friends and play locally. You online people ruin it for the rest of us. I can't go play a game online, because the people who play online are too good at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:20:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:22:32 PM PST
lol..of course I could buy one if I wanted it to. Money is not the issue here...lol

I have 5 PS3 (4 at my house and 1 at my kids moms house), 2 Xbx 360 (one at my house and the other at my kids moms house), two PSP, Two PSV and I also have *only 1* WiiU Deluxe preorder. Again money is not the issue...just pointing out that there some lag involved playing online with Wifi vs playing with someone who has a very good Ethernet connection that its almost unfair. Wifi is no good to play if you want to have fun but play competitively.

So Its about charging people and not including it you know like the the PS3 had both Ethernet and Wifi. I can chose to use either the Wifi or Ethernet depending where my gaming system is located. I have my Xbx and [main] PS3 hook up to the modem via Ethernet. My WiiU will be next to the modem, then why would I want it hook up via Wifi?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 568 6 seconds ago
Who else will abandon the sinking ship known as Sony? 28 10 seconds ago
For the most important vote you can make who are you picking? 8 51 seconds ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 6658 1 minute ago
Street fighter 5.. Juri finally released 4 2 minutes ago
Top 5 New IPs This Gen 23 3 minutes ago
Microsoft Working to 'Make Steam Progressively Worse' on Windows 10 to Force Gamers to Use Windows Store 11 3 minutes ago
Fallout 4 - Vault-Tec Workshop is out today. 7 6 minutes ago
OT: I just want to say that everybody here is awesome! 40 9 minutes ago
OT: Rick and Morty re-enact crazy court transcript 10 10 minutes ago
OT: It's Going to be Great When Hillary Clinton Wins the Election 30 11 minutes ago
Nintendo's Pokémon GO Bubble Has Finally Burst 25 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions