Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Have you ever got suckered in by hype...only to realize the game was total crap?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 183 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:14:34 PM PDT
God of War 3, Halo reach and Halo 3, Socom 4

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:16:01 PM PDT
Yup, that's exactly what it felt like- padding. I barely did any missions in XII or XIII, and I think I did every darn sidequest on X, even the stupid lightning dodge, because it felt like I got a reward, with the epic weapons.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:17:24 PM PDT
LOL... oh yes, the lightning dodge... that was heck... but I really wanted her weapon...I got to like 90 once and messed up... I was angry enough to punch a parakeet.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:23:04 PM PDT
JWK says:
Probably GTA IV. I've never seen so many undeserving "10/10" and "Masterpiece!" accolades in my gaming life.

I. Hate. That. Game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:25:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 2:25:53 PM PDT
Lol... I've tried to play through the game 3 times now... I'll go a handful of missions until I trail off once again. I just don't get why people think it can even be comparable to San Andreas.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:27:14 PM PDT
P-Nasty says:
One of the biggest disappointments in gaming history.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 2:35:57 PM PDT
Benpachi says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:42:35 PM PDT
Dukeshire says:
Probably CoD MW 2. I thought the first was pretty good. I pre-ordered it and after an hour of playing just could not get into it. Sold it. Have not purchased a CoD game since.

Halo ODST: I am a Halo fan, especially the original, but never really got into ODST.

Games I fear I will not like despite the hype but probably should branch out and try:
Catherine, Portal 2, Braid, Disgaea....Not a big puzzle gamer.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:47:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 2:48:10 PM PDT
K Archer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:52:59 PM PDT
P-Nasty says:
Are you posting in the right thread?

Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Battlefield 3
Uncharted
Little Big Planet

These are all good games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:55:58 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Well they're good in your opinion (generally my opinion) and in the consensus opinion, but it is possible for someone to dislike a game that other people like quite a bit.

I mean, I recognize that Uncharted is a very well made game, I just didn't like it.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:56:21 PM PDT
YayFlyingCat says:
Brink

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:57:57 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Some people just don't like great, high quality games. It happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 2:58:54 PM PDT
P-Nasty says:
I'm just trying to see how they could be "total crap". Even if I don't really like a game it takes a LOT for it to be total crap.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:01:52 PM PDT
Jordan D. says:
MW3 and CoD Elite :( Definetely not worth the $110 for the Hardened Edition. I have been a die-hard fan since CoD 3 and that game was decent. I wish I had bought BF3 instead. The beta was fun despite it being really buggy. I really liked BFBC2, so I still might buy BF3. I'm only keeping MW3 so I can play it with friends. The single player campaign was good but short just like it has been for all the CoD's imo. I think quite a few people will agree with me.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:07:48 PM PDT
Mrs. User says:
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:15:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 3:18:08 PM PDT
C0D3 says:
Modern Warefare 2 (PC) I bought a whole new rig behind the hype and based on MW1 which I liked. They made it so close to console play and the removal of the ded servers so you could get away from the hacked/cheat games, removal of player banning, and a whole bunch of other stuff made it the worst $3070 I ever spent on a game. If I'd read what the pirates said about it earlier (since they had the game a full week beforehand) I'd have cancelled my order and at least saved the $70 (69.99) That game singlehandedly made me give up pre-ordering games. I swore off COD and get my fix from BF3 now. I couldn't even convince myself to play it when I borrowed it from a friend.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:19:37 PM PDT
The game I got sucked into that I can't return is the only Lupin III game that was released in America for PlayStation 2 (Something about a Sorceror). I guess I am not into action titles like I am into platformers, RPGs and God games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:21:40 PM PDT
Jacob Wunder says:
Pre internet, all the f'ing time. You really didnt have much to go on back then, when deciding what to get.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:22:53 PM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
Wow this is really funny. You've been ranting and raving like a psychotic lunatic for what seems like months now all because you have terrible reading comprehension skills and didn't understand what I was talking about. Before you go throwing out accusations and insults at people you should probably read through the post a few times until you get it.

"First off, all of these conclusions couldn't be further from the truth, especially when compared to other titles in like genres."

Ok, that's an essentially worthless statement because a) I have no idea what conclusions you're talking about and b) you provide no examples and don't support it with anything else.

"Secondly, you like games like Gears of War and Halo, and those two franchises are probably even less interactive than Uncharted. All of these titles have you going down a linear path, shooting enemies, etc."

Uh yeah, what do you think Uncharted is? It's the same damn thing. It's a linear action game.

"but the difference is that when Halo and Gears have a set-piece moment, most of the time it's some sort of on-rails sequence while Uncharted has you retain your control of Nate."

I don't even understand what you're talking about. It's been a while since I played a Halo game but I don't remember any on rails sequences whatsoever in those games. Uncharted has those too by the way, it's a staple of the shooter genre. The problem with Uncharted, and what I mean when I say "rip control out of the player's hands", is first the fact that especially in the third game the developers love to **** with the camera constantly just to show us all how "cinematic" everything is and by doing so they disorient the player and make the game harder to control.

Then there's ridiculously shallow platforming which is essentially there for window dressing and nothing more. There is no risk reward factor, no timing, and no sense of satisfaction. Platforming in Uncharted boils down to mashing the X button while Drake flies all over the cliff like a spider monkey. If you jump off a cliff at an odd angle instead of letting the player die so they learn from the mistake Drake magically flies in the right direction and lands on the other side. It's these types of things that completely ruin the series for me. The gameplay is so unbelievably shallow and poorly implemented (especially the shooting mechanics) that there is no sense of satisfaction when you complete a particular segment.

"That's not even taking Uncharted's environment navigation and puzzles into consideration."

See above, and the puzzles in those games could be solved by a small child.

"This is why you are a hypocrite."

Oh the irony.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:30:02 PM PDT
Campy says:
SWTFUII

The hype is strong with that one.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:30:47 PM PDT
Dukeshire says:
I will admit that when heavily hyped games come out and they do not get good reviews (reader and professional), I almost breathe a sigh of relief as it wold otherwise be too expensive to purchase all the games I want, and there are already a lot of great games out there, and of course there is my backlog.... I almost feel that way about the new Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil. At the same time, the more good games the better. First World Problems!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 3:55:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 3:57:11 PM PDT
"Ok, that's an essentially worthless statement because a) I have no idea what conclusions you're talking about and b) you provide no examples and don't support it with anything else."

I did later on with Gears of War and Halo.

"Uh yeah, what do you think Uncharted is? It's the same damn thing. It's a linear action game."

Exactly.

"I don't even understand what you're talking about. It's been a while since I played a Halo game but I don't remember any on rails sequences whatsoever in those games."

What about the falcun gunner sequences in Reach?

"Uncharted has those too by the way, it's a staple of the shooter genre."

I'm not denying that, but most times the set=pieces aren't relegated to that?

"The problem with Uncharted, and what I mean when I say "rip control out of the player's hands", is first the fact that especially in the third game the developers love to **** with the camera constantly just to show us all how "cinematic" everything is and by doing so they disorient the player and make the game harder to control."

The only time I can think of where that was a problem (and a very minimal one at that) was when you're running from the agents as a kid.

"Then there's ridiculously shallow platforming which is essentially there for window dressing and nothing more. Platforming in Uncharted boils down to mashing the X button while Drake flies all over the cliff like a spider monkey."

What's wrong with using platforming as a way of getting from point a to point b and nothing else? Assassin's Creed does the same exact thing. It's just a way to liven up the pacing. It sure beats just running and walking the entire time IMO.

"If you jump off a cliff at an odd angle instead of letting the player die so they learn from the mistake Drake magically flies in the right direction and lands on the other side."

I've died from some platforming sections on all the games. If you made the jump, I'm pretty sure you made the jump right.

"It's these types of things that completely ruin the series for me. The gameplay is so unbelievably shallow and poorly implemented (especially the shooting mechanics) that there is no sense of satisfaction when you complete a particular segment."

I don't see how the gameplay is shallowed or poorly implemented. It's meant to be a linear third-person action shooter with adventure and puzzle elements, and it accomplishes just that. I honestly think the shooting feels great too. Are you going to hate Ratchet and Clank just because the platforming mechanics aren't as good as those of Mario Galaxy (That didn't come from me. It's just something I hear)? Are you going to hate Mass Effect for having supposedly not as good shooting mechanics as whatever it is you are comparing it to?

"See above, and the puzzles in those games could be solved by a small child."

Uncharted 1 and 2's puzzles were just there for pacing reasons, but Uncharted 3 had some pretty well-crafted ones.

"Oh the irony."

I don't see you providing examples of why I'm a hypocrite. BTW, I apologize. You are not a hypocrite after all. I misunderstood what you meant by that.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 3:56:01 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Chrono Cross would be my retro pick.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 4:09:02 PM PDT
Bionix01 says:
Brutal Legend. I mean i personally actually did like the game but if i'd known the price was going to tank i wouldve saved my money,
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Ghostbuster 2016, what went wrong 45 35 seconds ago
Whatever Else May Happen, This is Will Always Be the Weekly Gaming Thread for July 25-29, 2016 87 4 minutes ago
So.... Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 are out today. $40 a piece or $60 a bundle 14 5 minutes ago
Bluezephyr vs Ponies, Loser leaves town, Match of the Century live on PPV 12 1 hour ago
ABZU AKA Journey Underwater Gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 6 1 hour ago
OT: What Did You Think of the ending from No Country For Old Men (Spoilers, obviously) 2 2 hours ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3908 2 hours ago
Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai for PC/PlayStation 11 2 hours ago
OT: Which is it Democrats? 10 2 hours ago
No Man's Sky Gets $150 Explorer's Edition 6 2 hours ago
Horipad FPS Plus for the PS4 impressions 0 2 hours ago
PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider Preorders Come With Free Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition 24 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions